General Dance Discussion > Dance quotes

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Shiva diva, Aug 18, 2004.

1. danceonclouds

danceonclouds New Member

todays quote

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

2. danceonclouds

danceonclouds New Member

liza minelli

[​IMG]

"In Hollywood now when people die they don't say, "Did he leave a will?" but "Did he leave a diary?"

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

That last one is a good one!

4. danceonclouds

danceonclouds New Member

love yours too!!

a belief in yourself and your dreams is sure important!!
    i love your last quite too!!

to be it ,we have to see it

to see it,we have to believe it

to believe it we have to be it.

amanda taylor,indogo

danceonclouds
    x

5. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Strange question... I know... I am in a redecorating project of my home office... We have collected pictures, and "stuff" that we have accumulated over the last 10 dance years...We often combine comps and vacations and I have all this cool stuff that reminds me of great times we have had... All this "stuff" and pictures are going on a very long wall.... I have a girl that does great work with engraved invitations and the like, that will paint on the wall a "dance quote" ....

I cant seem to figure out what I want... I have been looking at your guys quotes, thinking about phrases from songs that I like and still have not come up with the perfect thing that says it all...

Any ideas??? BTW, we are smooth and internatioinal standard dancers, if it helps any...

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of putting PasoDancer's sig somewhere in my house: Will dance for caffeine.
    Me before dancing and/or caffeine: :mad:
    Me after dancing or caffeine: :)
    Me after dancing AND caffeine: :D

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea of having a thread with some of the great dance quotes:

Here are some I found on a dance page on the Wikipedia site;

"To dance is to be out of yourself, larger, more powerful, more beautiful. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking." Agnes De Mille

"Dance is the hidden language of the soul". Martha Graham

"Dance for yourself, if someone understands good. If not then no matter, go right on doing what you love.". Louis Horst

"O body swayed to music, o brightening glance, how can we know the dancer from the dance?". William Butler Yeats

"The self is a dance, constantly in motion". Gabrielle Roth

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing. It's the rhythm of your life. Its the expression in time and movement, in happiness, joy, sadness and envy". Jacques D'Amboise

:D

8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

One of my favorites is from T. S. Eliot:

Except for the point, the still point,
    There would be no dance, and there is only the dance.

I've been meaning to make that my signature line, and I think I'll do that now.

9. latingal

And more beautiful quotes found on the Gaynor Minden site:

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In life as in dance: Grace glides on blistered feet." Alice Abrams[/FONT]

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fine dancing, I believe like virtue, must be its own reward." Jane Austen[/FONT]

"Dance is music made visible." George Balanchine

"The essence of all art is to have pleasure in giving pleasure." Mikhail Baryshnikov

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When I dance, I cannot judge, I cannot hate, I cannot separate myself from life. I can only be joyful and whole, that is why I dance." Hans Bos[/FONT]

"Dance can give the inarticulate a voice". Pamela Brown

"On with the dance! Let joy be unconfined." Lord Byron

"I have performed for thousands when they found me exotic, the vogue, daring, but I have danced, at any given time, for about ten people.... They were the ones that left the theater forever different from the way they were when they came in. All of my long, long life, I have danced for those ten." Ruth St. Denis

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it is not mere translation or abstraction from life; it is life itself." Havelock Ellis[/FONT]

"Dance is communication, and so the great challenge is to speak clearly, beautifully, and with inevitability." Martha Graham

"Technical perfection is insufficient. It is an orphan without the true soul of the dancer." Sylvie Guillem

"The only reason for mastering technique is to make sure the body does not prevent the soul from expressing itself." La Meri

"I should not believe in a God who does not dance." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

"There was never a merry world since the fairies left off dancing." John Selden

"If you're not dancing, you're wasting your feet." Source unknown

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

excellent to start a new thread on this but let me also say, for OPs benefit, that we have had at least two previous threads on this(if memory serves correct) that can be accessed via a search, which had excellent quotes

11. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

funny--l.g.

The anon. post " if you,re not dancin, you,re wastin you,re feet ", has to be the funniest by far-- luv it !!!!!!!

12. reb

reb Active Member

One of my favorites by Souza

“Dance as though no one is watching
    Love as though you've never been hurt
    Sing as though no one can hear you
    Live as though heaven is on earth.”

13. latingal

Have always loved the Souza quote, here's another interesting quote:

"Dancing appears glamorous, easy, delightful. But the path to paradise of the achievement is not easier than any other. There is fatigue so great that the body cries, even in its sleep. There are times of complete frustration, there are daily small deaths." Martha Graham

Anybody else relate to the fatigue so great the body cries and the daily small deaths? *grin*

14. latingal

I am soooo going to town on the dance quotes:

"When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that All the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing."

Moliere, 1622

15. fluffy

fluffy New Member

I'm not sure it originally related to dance, but I love the quote:
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way" - Thomas Paine

I can't remember who said:
    "If a novice goes wrong, it's a mistake, if a champion goes wrong, it's a variation"

This is sometimes attributed to Ginger Rogers, but this website said it was Faith Whittlesey (never heard of her)
    "Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels. "

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not at all:rolleyes:

17. Medira

Medira New Member

I love this quote...

18. latingal

Hey janathome....did you find a quote for your wall?

19. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting all of the quotes!
    There are a few I really like.. I am still thinking about it.

20. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

One I love, from Hirofumi Amano:
    "I don't care how long it takes, I'm going to dance forever."