General Dance Discussion > Dance quotes

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Shiva diva, Aug 18, 2004.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

p

e

r

f

e

c

t

2. jaedawkins

jaedawkins New Member

Dance Quotes - More from 2nilssons.com

Thanks for all the great quotes! Thought you might enjoy these dance quotes…
    Dancing is the world's
    favorite ****phor.
    ~ Kristy Nilsson

Dance is the poetic baring of the soul through motion.
    ~ Scott Nilsson

Dance - no translation needed.
    ~ Kristy Nilsson

It is not the movements
    that make a dance beautiful,
    it is the emotions that inspired the movements
    that make it beautiful.
    ~ Kristy Nilsson

Musicality is when the dancers' movements
    appear to create the music -
    and not the other way around.
    ~ Kristy Nilsson

Life is better with a little drama in it.
    ~ Scott Nilsson

Found them with others at 2nilssons - dot - com.

3. Mawmaw

Mawmaw New Member

Great Quotes

So many of you have great quotes and sayings on your signature. I would love to see a thread of just dance quotes and sayings. I love them all and I would love a list of them.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we do have a thread on this...if you do an advanced search or go back far enough in funstuff and inspiration

5. Mawmaw

Mawmaw New Member

I did the search and didn't find a lot in one place... maybe I missed it. Anyway, I found these on a search and thought I would share with anyone else that felt the need to be inspired...

Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~William Stafford

How can we know the dancer from the dance? ~William Butler Yeats

There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good. ~Edwin Denby

Please send me your last pair of shoes, worn out with dancing as you mentioned in your letter, so that I might have something to press against my heart. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Never trust spiritual leader who cannot dance. ~Mr. Miyagi, The Next Karate Kid, 1994

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb

On with the dance! let joy be unconfined;
    No sleep till morn, when Youth and Pleasure meet
    To chase the glowing hours with flying feet.
    ~George Gordon, Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance. ~Dave Barry

Dancing is like dreaming with your feet! ~Constanze

The truest expression of a people is in its dance and in its music. Bodies never lie. ~Agnes de Mille

Dancing is wonderful training for girls, it's the first way you learn to guess what a man is going to do before he does it. ~Christopher Morley, Kitty Foyle

You can dance anywhere, even if only in your heart. ~Author Unknown

Dancing is the perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire. ~Author Unknown

Dancing in all its forms cannot be excluded from the curriculum of all noble education; dancing with the feet, with ideas, with words, and, need I add that one must also be able to dance with the pen? ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Dance is the only art of which we ourselves are the stuff of which it is made. ~Ted Shawn, Time, 25 July 1955

Dancers are the athletes of God. ~Albert Einstein

Dancers are instruments, like a piano the choreographer plays. ~George Balanchine

There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them. ~Vicki Baum

To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful. ~Agnes De Mille

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels. ~Faith Whittlesey

Dancing with the feet is one thing, but dancing with the heart is another. ~Author Unknown

Dance till the stars come down from the rafters
    Dance, Dance, Dance till you drop.
    ~W.H. Auden

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer. ~Shanna LaFleur

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

Stifling an urge to dance is bad for your health - it rusts your spirit and your hips. ~Adabella Radici

Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair... ~Susan Polis Shutz

Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals. ~Charles Baudelaire

Dance first. Think later. It's the natural order. ~Samuel Beckett

Dancing is the poetry of the foot. ~John Dryden

Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it is not mere translation or abstraction from life; it is life itself. ~Havelock Ellis

Dance is the hidden language of the soul. ~Martha Graham

Dancing is just discovery, discovery, discovery. ~Martha Graham

Through dancing many maidens have been unmaidened, whereby I may say it is the storehouse and nursery of bastardy. ~John Northbrooke

Movement never lies. It is a barometer telling the state of the soul's weather. ~Martha Graham

Dance is a song of the body. Either of joy or pain. ~Martha Graham

The dance is a poem of which each movement is a word. ~Mata Hari

We ought to dance with rapture that we might be alive... and part of the living, incarnate cosmos. ~D.H. Lawrence

Dancing is the world's favorite ****phor. ~ Kristy Nilsson

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

I do not know what the spirit of a philosopher could more wish to be than a good dancer. For the dance is his ideal. ~Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Light quirks of music, broken and uneven,
    Make the soul dance upon a jig to Heav'n.
    ~Alexander Pope, Moral Essays

Do you think dyslexic people have difficulty dancing to "Y.M.C.A."? ~Dave Sokolowski

Music begins to atrophy when it departs too far from the dance. ~Ezra Pound

I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what it too deep to find for words. ~Ruth St. Denis

Talk about dance? Dance is not something to talk about. Dance is to dance. ~Peter Saint James

Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Poetry is to prose as dancing is to walking. ~John Wain

To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak. ~Hopi Indian Saying

They who love dancing too much seem to have more brains in their feet than in their head. ~Terence

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty. ~Author Unknown

Socrates learned to dance when he was seventy because he felt that an essential part of himself had been neglected. ~Source Unknown

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain. ~Author Unknown

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. ~William James

6. fascination

thank you...let me be more specific...type in: dance quotes....in the search box...you will come up with many toward the middle of the first page

7. latervet1

latervet1 Member

Dancing Quips

Our Studio is having its yearly showcase in March and I thought it would be nice to get a little present for all the teachers and the owner.
    I was thinking of customized license plate frames that have little sayings on them about ballroom dance. original thought was to put the studio name and phone number as well for advertising but I dont think it will all fit on most of them.
    It seems that on average you can fit apx 20 spaces on 1 side and 35 spaces on the opposite side.
    so a few "quips" that i had thought of or seen were:
    "Ballroom dancers do it on hardwood"
    "Ballroom dancing-its better than prozac"
    "real men (fill in favorite dance)"- this one would probably fit the phone#
    "dance is life- life is a dance"

I knew you guys would all be a great source of fun and humerous ideas. Anybody willing to share?

8. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

When someone challenges you to dance you have to dance back. Or else they'll think you're weak.
    - South Park

Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane.
    - H. P. Lovecraft

I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

9. latervet1

latervet1 Member

all great quotes SK but unfortunately they will not fit on a license plate frame.

10. fascination

we also have several past threads (help TC)...on this

11. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Merged threads

Hope you find what you need, latervet1. :)

12. fascination

TC you are positively brilliant...major kudos

13. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

"Music makes us want to dance, to register rhythm on and with our bodies. The drummer and the conductor are the luckiest of all musicians, because they are closest to dancing."

James Wood, "The Fun Stuff", The New Yorker Magazine, Nov. 29, 2010

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Perhaps more of a quote about life than about dance, and not exactly remembered word for word by me. But I think it was CBS television commentator Charles Osgood that I once heard say:

"Life is a dance in the dark. On wondering why we're here. And then it's suddenly over and done..."