Ballroom Dance > Dance Rituals

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Apr 12, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Before you dance or compete, are there some rituals you tend to put yourself through?

I usually do some deep breathing exercises to get some oxygen oxygen moving through my body. And in general I try to clear my mind so I don't have anything clouding my mind that would interfere with my dancing.

If you saw me walking from the car to the Dance Studio, you might observe be doing some relatively rapid in and out breathing. It might look a little strange. But I don't care as it seems to help me. Haha

scullystwin42 likes this.
  2. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

For the last 6mo or so, i've been using the 10-MT as my ritual. Although i still enjoy completely inappropriate sexual innuendo and discussion to chill me out and prep for comp, performance, or just to defuse tension. It's weird, i know.

theAnnelis, s2k and blackswan like this.
  3. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Not weird at all. A good laugh is one of the best ways to relax.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yoga in the morning before competing

specific nutrition plan through out the day otherwise none

5. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

I make sure I have some clothes on, and have a partner around somewhere. Other than that, I'm good to go any time.:cool:

theAnnelis, SwayWithMe, Sania and 2 others like this.
  6. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Nobody mentioned sipping some Whiskey?

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

If it's a comp and we're about to dance Smooth, complain about how cold it is in the ballroom.

8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

While dressing, curse bow ties and the design of collars.

Halfway through dressing I remind myself to hit the bathroom - several times.

Before warming up, when I first see the floor, I ask myself, "Why the hell am I doing this? I must be nuts."

After warm-up, mentally walk through choreo one more time and review get-out-of-trouble steps. Admire female competitors.

theAnnelis and cornutt like this.
  9. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Well-Known Member

Wall squats

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. On the way to any dancing of any kind - lesson or party or out some other place for fun dancing - we only talk about neutral or good things while in the car. If either of us had a bad day at work or some other issue exists, we have already talked it through earlier or we will just put off discussing it until after the event.

cornutt and j_alexandra like this.
  11. blackswan

blackswan Member

My pro constantly makes the most inappropriate remarks on deck, and although I cringe, I have to admit I also laugh and relax.

scullystwin42 and j_alexandra like this.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

If 10- MT is the 10 minute mental toughness program, I do it too. I also like to actually see the ballroom the night before I dance and I plan my day according to my heat sheets so I won't feel rushed.

scullystwin42 and s2k like this.
  13. open_mind

open_mind Member

Ha-ha, I do that too!

14. rels77

rels77 Active Member

I do my own hair and makeup. And I start a long time before I dance and really take my time with it. I was in theatre a long time ago- this process reminds me of using makeup to "get into character". I listen to great music and really try to enjoy the process of getting ready.

theAnnelis and SwayWithMe like this.
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

tai chi

Loki likes this.
  16. blackswan

blackswan Member

For lessons, I have a standard warm up that involves dynamic stretching and standing core work. For comps, I try to ensure enough time between hair/makeup and when pro wants me in the ballroom to do at least 30 min. yoga practice, followed by same warm up once in the room with shoes on.