General Dance Discussion > Dance Schools can be disasters for the lonely and vulnerable

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SmoothAsian, Sep 9, 2017.

1. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

It's cool with me. No offense taken.

2. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Well, it really could have been taken a very different way. I'm glad that the exuberance of the moment (for me anyway) won over all other interpretations. Internet is hard.

PS
    This sub-thread conversation only SEEMS like a hijack.

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Oh, I should really pretend I meant that (because it's awesome); but I guess I'll only go so far as to claim that some days, my subconscious is more clever than I am. I was actually worried that my immediate (and irrepressible) reaction might seem less-than-respectful, but in fact I hope it conveyed significant respect indeed.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Jinx. Rise and fall owes Larinda a coke

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Yes, I do, assuming @Larinda McRaven drinks soda. She might prefer something else. :)

Mr 4 styles and j_alexandra like this.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

No soda for me :) I'll take a chai.

RiseNFall and Mr 4 styles like this.
  7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Don't you mean "Kool"?

8. macbadoo

macbadoo New Member

Oh hey! Another newbie like me. I have been very quiet last couple of months. I guess no news is good news and since I don't have any bad ones, mostly good ones, all is well.

I must say, I entered dancing classes with my guard risen all the way up. I still felt infatuated for 2 weeks for one partner and another 2 weeks for another one. What can I say? Being so close to pretty, young ladies just fires up my stone cold heart. But being mindful that these things happen, even with my guard up, eased me on accepting that I am there to learn how to dance to go out more. I think that is the best advice I can give. Just accept your feelings and accept where they come from. For me, it was defenitely the lack of having that female touch and attention. Hell, out of all the 5 months of dancing, I had to go to the bathroom twice to "calm myself down there". They were mostly in the beginning.

I certainly feel grateful to have stuck around. I still feel a bit awkward in dinners because I have no damn clue what to talk about. But the "scarecrow" feeling I had in the beginning as been long gone.

One male newbie to another, how are you dealing with learning how to lead? I had the darnest time learning the feel for it. Still very green, but getting better by the lessons.

9. SmoothAsian

SmoothAsian New Member

Yah I always try to think about it from the female instructors' point of view and how it must be like having to be in physical contact with so many men, most of which probably she has no attraction to whatsoever. It'd be weird for one of them to be interested in you in that way. I can't help feel the way that I feel but it doesn't mean she has to ever know. I think over time, these feelings will hopefully dissipate. You're right in that I have to accept that these feelings. Doesn't mean I have to ever act on them.

Leading is a challenge. I'm not a big tall guy. My problem is the frame. I think I need to do more yoga or core exercises. The problem isn't upper body strength as I have a pretty toned physique but it's more around core strength and flexibility.

Dance Redeemer and RiseNFall like this.