Dance Shoes and Your Feet

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by SDsalsaguy, Oct 7, 2003.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Taken, with permission, from Terryl's Corner - Advice and tips for dancers

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is a great article, and covers the bases very well.

One comment I'd like to make is that, if at all possible, one should buy dance shoes from an experienced dance shoe salesperson, at least the first couple times around. It's tempting to go to the web and shop for bargains. Heck, I do that. But those first couple times, I found it very helpful to have the advice and input of the experienced (in my case) ballroom dancers who sell shoes in at their showroom in my town (props, Sharron!). Dance shoe fit is very specific, and it's hard to guess. So until you know how shoes are supposed to fit, I think it's best to get help from a professional, if you can.

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Awesome article! I never thought about the wire brush method. I will definitely use that tip. :D

4. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and one more thing about where to buy dance shoes. I've been fortunate, because there's a great dance shoe dealer a half-hour drive away. In addition to that, though, many ballet-type dance stores around here do stock a small selection of ballroom, club or swing dancing shoes. The selection's not as good, but they will often order shoes for you. It's worth a phone call.

5. pygmalion

I guess what I was trying to hint with this is don't give up on finding a good dance shoe dealer just because you're not in Cali. All due respect to Terryl, but there are reputable shoe dealers in lots of other places. Just take a look, either on the web, in the phone book, or ask for word of mouth at your dance studio. There are resources out there.

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I never thought about jazz shoes making you have different balance..hmm, glad I know that now hehe.

7. pygmalion

Yup. And same thing with character shoes. You end up over your heels, instead of forward poised. I guess, if one were very experienced, they could compensate, but I'm not that good yet. :?

8. msc

msc New Member

I really hate jazz sneakers. I don't even like them for social dancing.

A lot of women wear men's Latin shoes instead of jazz sneakers. That's a good choice, IMO.

9. pygmalion

Yes. A lot of women do wear those Latin shoes, or the thick-heeled practice shoes, which are similar to Latin shoes.

10. JoyHerndon

JoyHerndon New Member

Folk Dance shoes

Just was reading about shoe's...In my opinion..I would never order shoe's..might be ok for some..but I must try on shoes for myself..all feet are different...

I use to wear the heel black shoe with the stramp...for looks and performing..but now I wear low heel shoes..must feel good..if your feet hurt you can't dance good..I don't like to hurt..lol..Joy

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Comfort when dancing latin dance

I have danced for up to 8 hours at a time and my feet were KILLING me the next day. I always bring along a slab of moleskin for allnight dance parties! When I practice(usually 2 hours at a time HARD, sweaty salsa shines) I now wear my heels for the first hour and switch into my jazz shoes for the next hour. They are SOOOOOOO comfy, I can do complicated shines without my heel catching on the hem of my pants(Oops! This sometimes happens-tell me I'm not the only one!) and I can do cool jumps, hip-hop moves and cool spins. Ladies, you have GOT to get a pair of jazz dance shoes to give your feet a break if you dance for long stretches. I don't care for the split-sole sneaker look however. They make your feet look like donkey hooves!

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Re: Comfort when dancing latin dance

Hiya cocodrilo . . . welcome to the dance forums!

8 hours of dancing, eh??? You must really love dancing. Many times when we go to a dance venus/competition, we will dance that much and over a three-day period.

I usually start with men's latin shoes with 1 1/2 heels, but usually change after an hour or so. I'll then switch to dance sneakers or jazz shoes, and YES - since my dance pants are hemmed according to the height of my latin shoes - my heels do catch in the hem of the pants!

The split-sole sneaker . . . I can't live without them . . . I dance so much better in them, but they did take a while to get used to.

And on making your feet look like donkey hooves . . . what are you doing looking down???? I'm kidding . . . just initiating you to the DF . . . sometimes we have fun at your expense . . . :wink:

I usually save the jazz shoes as the last resort for relief . . . as much of my practice at home is done with jazz shoes. They are comfortable, but they do require a specific sock to be worn with them.

13. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Dance Shoes

Hi Vince A!
    I have heels ranging in size from 2-3 1/2" and a guy could not possibly imagine the pain a woman must endure after spending hour upon hour in them, unless of course you are a member of the Trocadero de Monte Carlo dance troupe. I would imagine the mens' dance footwear to be pretty comfortable, and guys don't look goofy wearing anything, really.
    Unfortunately, to go with the sexy attire that salsa dancing invites, heels look the best.
    I produce latin dance parties at clubs, thus I am indeed on my feet for the better part of 8 hours! Quite tired the next day, to be honest with you.

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Re: Dance Shoes

Those are some "high-heels."

Salsa does have a great clothing-style in it's own. I love the men's clothes as well, a the women's sexy clothes.

I can't wait to get better at Salsa and other Latin dances, so I can go get some more clothes . . . I love clothes!

You have a tough job . . . I've produced a few dance parties, but never wanted to continue doing it. Too many headaches . . . no wonder you are tired the next day.

15. jenn

jenn New Member

because one foot is smaller than the other, it can be a problem when buying premade dance shoes.
    i buy my shoes custom made for my feet from this tiny store in burbank (ca.). the gentleman traces my feet onto a piece of paper, then uses a tape measure to measure the arch and width of my feet. within a week, theyre done, and they fit perfect!!! no breaking in or streching them out. no blisters!! and oh, they cost less than the place i used to 'order' my shoes.
    and yes, theyre pretty!!

i definitely suggest having them custom made for your feet, especially if theyre for dancing. 8)

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

That's a great idea, Jenn!
    Your advice will save a lot of folks on this forum some pain, I'm sure!

17. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I quote myself to let people read this text in the proper context. ( I wrote it yesterday in a different thread)

The shoe I use is made by Top Tanz, a German Company specialized in dance shoes. They have excellent archsupport, stiff sole BUT are flexible for pivoting. These shoes are wounderful, I can dance for a whole night without pain :banana:

/Lucretia

18. woxmobile

woxmobile New Member

1. We need good warm up muscles before dancing. Massage, and between dances at rest - Leg Warmers. For example, such as here
    [removed commercial link]
    2. Shoes should be chosen correctly.​

19. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

I'm the at the opposite end for the scale, an over supinator with a high arch.

The solution, sueded Skateboard shoes which have lots of cushioning. The shoes must be flexible (you can bend them in half) but otherwise they work extremely well. I currently use the style 'Trick' by the brand 'No Fear'

They also look pretty stylish :)

20. KN

KN New Member

I have flat feet so wearing heels is difficult for me. I'm also a recreational dancer and typically dance for a couple of hours at a time, maybe once every couple of weeks (not enough!). 2 inch heels are about my limit. I know it is recommended to have a second pair of shoes, say Jazz shoes, for when my feet get tired. However, I don't feel that my dancing is as elegant in flat shoes. The only dance that that works for me in flats is an East Coast Swing. At the end of the night it's worth it. I give my feet a good massage and they are good to go the next day.