Dance Vision Mastery Camp 2005

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by spatten, Mar 9, 2005.

1. spatten

spatten New Member

I just signed up to attend Dance Visions's camp this June (12-17th) in Vegas. I have never been to one of these, but am looking forward to it.
    There were a couple positive comments in the archives - but I was just curious if anyone is planning on going this year? Also - does anyone have any other comments to make on past years?

I'm going more to get 8 hours of dance a day, a little vacatio, and to meet some new people than for instruction. I'm sure there will be a lot to pick up anyway.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I've never been to one, but would love to go! I am sure you will have a great experience, Scott.

3. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Scott,

I attended last year's event. It was fun. It is a lot of information to absorb. The beginner's classes are huge in attendance, if you are an advanced dancer (silver and above) the classes are a lot smaller.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Did anybody besides me get email today? They're mostly sold out, but looking for males without partners to sign up for the camp. Hmm. :roll:

5. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

yip, i received the e-mail as well.

6. pygmalion

Apparently, single females are being placed on a waiting list ... as always. :roll: :lol:

7. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I would love to do a camp like this, but it's not going to happen this year.

Am I right in saying that Dance Vision did a weekend-long camp in New Orleans one year? Any chance they might bring that camp back? I would really love that.

What other camps are there? Are there any that focus on international style?

:) ChaChaMama

8. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

BYU in Utah has two summer camps, in June and July, with top notch instructors. Their rates are a lot more reasonable than commercial camps.
    I have never gone to these camps, but heard from people who did that it was a fantastic experience. The website is: http://ce.byu.edu/cw/cwdance/2005/a_ballroom.cfm

9. pygmalion

Wow. Yes. I just checked out their instructor line-up for this summer. Very, very nice. It seems that the biggest saving, from a student perspective, is in the housing and food.

Can anybody who's been make a recommendation about the quality of those things? Yes. I know it's about the dancing. But how are the dorms? :roll: :lol:

10. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I should also mention that these camps fill up very quickly. A couple of years ago, I know they were full by sometime in March, especially for single women. So if you are interested, don't put it off much longer.

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Sparse, but neat and clean. The communal restrooms/showers seemed to bother one or two people the year I went, but most found it fine. The food is good and you get a lot for the money. The onlyt things to keep in mind are 1) NO coffee or tea in the mornings for those who depend on it, and 2) there are set meal times (not really such a problem since they fit the dance schedule).

12. pygmalion

Communal showers? :shock: :lol: Might be worth getting used to ... only 170 bucks for a week's food and lodging.

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Well, dorm style... but remember, the dorms are sex segragated! :wink:

14. pygmalion

LOL. That takes communal to a whole new level! :wink: :lol:

I'm spoiled. I haven't shared a bathroom with anyone in ... oh my goodness! A long time. It'll build character, I guess. :roll: :lol:

15. discovery

discovery New Member

Regarding the Dance Vision Camp:
    I think you'll have a lot of fun. The coaches they have are outstanding. The only negative for me is that it was sometimes heavy on patterns and routines and low on technique.

16. pygmalion

Did someone mention a New Orleans camp? Dance Vision used to offer that until a couple years ago, but I believe they stopped when they expanded the capacity of their Las Vegas Camp.

17. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

This will be my first time there and I am looking forward to it. I have a question what is the dress code for Sunday evening and for the last day dinner?

I cant wait to dance,

Kind regards,
    Ricky

18. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Last year, both occassions were jacket and tie dress code for men. I think the last day dinner were more formal than the first night.

19. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

So I should take my Tux, then os just a dinner jacket.

Kind regards,
    Ricky

20. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Just a neat dinner jacket for both nights should be fine.
    If you are going to participate in the dance performances on thursday night, you want to wear something that would be comfortable to dance in.
    The dance performances are a lot of fun, i highly encourage you to take part in it.