Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > "Dance your a$$ Off" on Oxygen network

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by White Chacha, Sep 9, 2010.

1. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I came across this show, hosted by Mel B (DwtS contestant) about a week ago, thanks to TiVo. I think (as I've only seen the one episode) that premiss of the show is a bunch of people trying to lose weight via a dance competition.

The episode TiVo caught was the ballroom round. Eric Mazo was the featured pro.

If you catch a rerun, you'll cringe ;-) I've been watching it in bits, but the first couple to dance were supposedly doing a v-waltz, but the music was in 4!

2. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Yes, you have the premise right. I remember catching this on TV a few months back and I nearly puked in my mouth.

3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I have a problem with all the competitive weight-loss shows. It's not as bad a triggering issue for me as some things (like making the mistake of reading George Morris's critiques in Practical Hoseman when he goes after some girl's big thighs--reaching for the laxatives just thinking of it) it's still creepily appealing to the eating-disordered part of my brain.

4. KatNip

KatNip Member

A few months ago I watched a bit of the show and was stunned at the costumes, dancing, etc. The show appeared exploitive.
    Then last month I was flipping through the channels and saw a robust woman dancing and she was good! The costumes had improved and the remaining contestants were dancers. The final episode was great.
    I think in the end the contestants redefined the show. Good for them!