Dancers and ugly feet

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 16, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You'd think it would be inevitable -- ugly feet, I mean. When you consider all the pressures a dancer's feet endure -- the blisters, the injuries, the tight, tight shoes -- the things that happen to a dancer's feet sure aren't pretty. Bunions, hammer toes, claw toes, neuromas, corns, broken toes, stresses and strains, not to mention thousands of pounds of pressure on a daily basis. (Especially ballerinas, poor things. :( )

So are ugly feet just a dancer's fate? Do you think dancing has damaged your feet -- either in terms of health or aesthetics? Are there preventative measures a dancer can take?

And, while we're at it, what are good non-dance shoes for a dancer? Sneakers? Slippers? Bare feet? What do you put on your feet when you're not dancing?

And can a serious dancer have beautiful feet? Thoughts?
  2. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

If you want pretty feet, forget dancing. There's no way around it. Serious dancers will have ugly feet.

Whether I'm dancing or not, I make sure I wear the best shoes I can afford. British-made leathers, Rockports, Salamanders, Timberlines, that kind of thing is important to protect my feet when I'm not dancing.

I also find that it often helps to wear orthopedic insoles if I know I'm going to be on my feet a lot during the day, like at a trade show or mall. Keeps the balls of the feet and the arches supple and relaxed. Without them my feet can feel more fatigued at the end of the day.
  3. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Don't know about the others but I love being bare footed! I even dance well with bare feet on grass, during those summer outdoor events 8) .
  4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

And don't forget the effect of other people's high heels on your feet! I've got a pair of scars on the top of my feet -- one on each foot -- to prove it. :lol:
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I get the occasional nasty blister, but I know when I'm starting to get irritated and put on some moleskin. ALso know when my arches have had enough & I switch into my jazz shoes. ALso use pumice stones, and cream at night. I wear a lot of sandals & high-heels(strappy-types) so I HAVE to keep my feet looking nice. Japan is SOOOOOOO super humid that I get athlete's foot from wearing closed shoes in this weather(GROSS!!!)

Get pumice stones, they work wonders! :D
  6. pygmalion

I agree. Pumice stones are tops. And there are all sorts of other cool implements out there that get rid of dry skin, etc.

According to my podiatrist, the tendency to develop certain foot conditions, such as bunions and hammertoes, is hereditary. So, if your mom or dad has bunions, there's a greater likelihood you will develop them. There are things you can do to minimize that probability, of course, but it's still higher if you have the genetic tendency. Those conditions are based on bone structure of the foot, and there's not a lot you can do about that.

There is surgery, of course, but good podiatrists try to avoid surgery, if possible. With the surgery, basically, your bone is broken and re-set with the bunion or hammertoe, or whatever, corrected.
  7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Bunions are awful looking as well as painful, and it is true that you can inherit the tendency to get them. My stepmom is having her second foot done probably as I write this. I don't know if the procedure involves breaking the bone or scraping away the protruding part of bone, but I DO KNOW that one is incapacitated for quite a long time afterwards. I try to avoid shoes that are too tight-fitting, rarely wear pointy ones and prefer my jazz shooz to my salsa pumps(I guess you can't get away with wearing jazz shoes for ballroom, but I've seen some pretty comfortable-looking practice shoes...)
  8. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

My feet are just fine thank you! :p
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

My feet were ugly to begin with, before I started dancing. :eek:

I use pumice stones and peppermint or shea butter lotion on my feet. And I try to keep my toenails nicely polished - today they're fire engine red. 8)
  10. Sabor

Sabor New Member

one should endeavor to maintain exquisitly clean feet.. u never know when a foot massage may come your way :wink:
  11. pygmalion

LOL! Glad to hear that, youngsta!

I thought mine were, too, until I went to the podiatrist with a mild toe fracture and they X-rayed my feet. I have a hammertoe on one foot, a claw toe on the other foot, and the beginning of bone deformation that might develop into a bunion, if I'm not careful. :shock: X-rays don't lie. :(

My podiatrists' recommendations? Do nothing, unless I start to develop foot pain. In the meantime, wear sandals, sneakers or shoes with a large, comfortable toe box as much as possible. Oh yeah, and avoid very high heels. This will prevent corns from developing where hammertoes and/or claw toes rub against tight shoes, and stop any problems from getting worse. Hmm. Just a thought.

I wear sandals or go barefoot almost all the time. Florida has the weather for it. :wink:
  12. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Actually...as far as dancing goes...ballroom feet are beautiful compared to ballarina feet. The nastiest thing I ever laid eyes on was a professional ballarina's feet. They kind of look like the dancer first pulverizes them with a meat tenderizer...then runs them through a grinder...mashes all that back together and declares them feet. Soooo nasty and mangled...but, I firmly believe in feeling pain for one's passion.

My own feet aren't perfect. They are pretty scarred from figure skating (I've got boot burn scars, and toe pick scratches, etc.). Now...there are a few more scars from breaking in my first pair of dancing shoes.
  13. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

TT--

Now you know that everything about you is perfect, don't you? :wink:
  14. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I am actually far from perfect. I have just learned to carry myself like I am perfect. ;) Pretty girls come and go...but most people will notice one that walks in with her head held high, her shoulders back, and a walk that speaks with both confidence and grace.

I always preached...the first rule of modeling is to know your faults AND how to hide them.

Did you know a total stranger told me I was "refreshing" the other day?
  15. Genesius Redux

I'm not even gonna ask about the context for that one! :lol:

I probably don't count as a total stranger anymore, but I think you're delightful. 8)
  16. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I heard somewhere that the classic profile along which most shoe outlines are made is the result of someone's aesthetic design ages ago - and has nothing to do with anatomy of the toes at all. If so, that's rather unfortunate.

I know my dance shoes tend not to be comfortable until my feet have won a month-long war to shift the point of the shoe more towards the big toe. A friend uses shoes with a fairly square toe box, and I may try that sometime - but for the time being I'm just buying fairly soft flexible ones.

Actually, what I really want to do sometime is order the resin-impregnated 'socks' used for making custom footwear castings, make some lasts from those, and have a go at shoe making...
  17. tasche

tasche New Member

I have a "peasant" type foot kind of squareish with short even toes. Doesn't make the prettiest profile in shoes ( lucky I dont wear wide) but they are very functional esp for pointe work. I guess haven't a borad stable base works.
  18. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I have really long toes. My second toe is longer than my big toe and all are double jointed. They look more like fingers. Actually, they are straighter than my fingers. Genetics dealt me a bad hand of cards when it comes to my hands, my fingers are all crooked.

Also, if you look at my palms...I have a life, love, and money line...but no fourth line (I believe it is normally a fate/destiny line). People that are into that type of thing find that intriguing.
  19. Genesius Redux

No doubt very tempting and convenient for the fire ants.... :lol: :wink:
  20. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Actually when I was modeling, I used to get "fan" mail from guys that wanted to stink my toes. ;)

Oh, and as for the "refreshing" comment...the stranger watched me walk through the door and stand and read Shakespeare while waiting in line. He then asked me a little about myself (of course, the question, why would a girl like you read SHAKESPEARE????). Afterwards, he said he'd never met anyone of my age that was like that and that I was "refreshing." I told him the simple truth was that I am an old soul and saw things differently than others. The things that are important to me in life are totally unlike what is important to my peers.