General Dance Discussion > Dancers and ugly feet

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 16, 2004.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes! Have everyone have to do a round of the same compulsory patterns wearing basic attire!

dancelvr likes this.
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, if it was 100% free to enter...Seriously, I don't in syllabus that would change much other than you'd see some uglier foot action in Latin/Rhythm and all the girls would look a bit shorter and their legs chunkier. The placings would still end up being largely the same. Maybe in Open the lack of ability to use big tricks would affect things a little.

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Plus there's the issue of defining "basic attire". I think USA Dance has shown that's not as simple as one might think.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  4. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

The different perspectives are interesting. I'm thinking about the opposite of Danceronice's perspective and I wonder if some women would find greater stability in lower heels thus allowing them to use better foot action and bigger tricks.

Also, I'm thinking of that video in the other "Lose a Shoe?" thread, where being barefoot didn't appear to make Katusha Demidova's action or legs look bad. Something for me to aspire to.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am not even looking at it that way...I am looking at it in terms of simply removing impediments to people who have foot injuries and then simply being able to see how students execute technique without the sparkly wrapping paper and the safety net of their pro...and I would love it even more if it was in front of international judges who don't have political leanings

debmc and Hedwaite like this.
  6. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I would like to point out that ballet dancers have beautiful leg lines without heals...

danceronice, Entangoment and debmc like this.
  7. danceronice

But only on pointe. Which doesn't hurt as much as everyone says, but it's a very...different feeling. Suzanne Farrel called it "holding on to the air." One of the ugly things about lyric/contemporary is the bare flat feet. Pointe shoes hurt, but the effect is totally worth it. (Of course the object is a very different effect, up and not down...)

8. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

To each his own- Ballet looks just as artificial as a lot of ballroom does to me. Not that I like lyric/contemporary much, but I do like the the barefoot (well, barring the little piece of suede 'sandal') aspect of it. I think what happens is that in the course of setting standards and competing/aiming toward them, ideas are run out of so they have to think of one thing or another to make it an ongoing challenge, the way some race-horses are continually handicapped with saddle-weights to see how much they can take before they quit winning. What becomes a nice accent to something is then overkilled by exaggerating it so much so that it's all but a requirement. If you're into hurting yourself to look good, it's not my position to discourage you, but I'm just very glad that I don't have to do the same.

Entangoment likes this.
  9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

As one who doesn't have the resources to dance enough to seriously damage my feet, I'll take the elegance of heels. For me, the beauty of the sport is part of its appeal.

I can't take a clinical approach to dance. That just doesn't work for me. However....I wouldn't mind the idea of each couple, at lower levels in Pro/Am, having to perform the same short routine of basics, in a basic costume, for comparison.....kind of like what they do in ice dancing. That's always my favorite part to watch, because you can truly compare the skills of each pair.

debmc likes this.
  10. fascination

I would rather the student have to dance without their pro for a variety of reasons; politics, balance, ownership of the concepts

11. dancelvr

Different strokes. :)

12. fascination

yep....as to heels...I don't really care on that as long as every body does or doesn't wear them...personally my feet are now in the sort of shape that if I wear them, even for only an hour, they hurt...and I tend to roll to the outside edge unconscoiusly to protect myself from pain, which doesn't lend itself to good balance.... but I am acutely aware of that when competing and don't let it happen...still, it wouldn't break my heart if we could all dance in flats

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    debmc likes this.
  13. dancelvr

I roll to the outside edge of my feet too, partly due to bad knees. It's something I have to always think about.

*wondering about heel turns in flats*

14. fascination

well...men do heel turns in low shoes all the time

15. dancelvr

Low shoes and flats....not the same. A one inch heel would make all the difference, at least to me. However, I guess anything is possible with practice, and a heel turn with no heels on my shoes would be a new challenge. :)

16. fascination

well, I feel pretty okay doing a heel turn in anything with more heel than a ballet slipper...at least for me, it can be pretty darned flat...ah well, it is all speculation, because ti isn't going to happen

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Whenever I try to go higher than a 2 inch heel in dance I end up with a flare up of Morton's neuroma... Not fun!

18. danceronice

It took several thousand of dance lessons to get me to freakin stop rolling to the outside edge of my feet (that's still how I'm inclined to walk in ordinary shoes.) I'm at the point twisting my ankle doesn't really hurt, I've done it so many times. Less likely to do it in dance heels as I think about my weight.

The Compulsory Dance is more or less dead at Senior/Olympic-level ice dance, btw. It's been replaced with the Short Dance, which is kind of a mish-mash of the CD and the old Original Set Pattern (starts with a pattern of a set dance and then the rest has to be created to match the style but has to be original choreography.) They decided it was not interesting to watch the same dance over and over and over and not good for TV coverage.

19. coanamilove

coanamilove Member

I have dry feet (I think my skin doesn't produce much oil) so if it starts to dry up, meh I don't care. I guess I've learnt to develop a thick skin over the years, it's doesn't bother me if others see...

20. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

This thread makes me happy lol I'm not alone! I was kind of embarrassed of my 'dancer feet', especially in the summer, my bf makes fun of my feet (not maliciously though) all the time, so I bought a foot care thingy from a cheap store, really just a big plastic bowl, it came with rocks, supposed to vibrate, and you just soak you feet in there, but the it's not working after used a couple of times ugh I have to say DIY pedicure is time consuming, and tedious, even if I multitask... in the end I decided to outsource it to cheap nail salon, have somebody do it for me lol dance is my biggest expense, so I try to be frugal on everything else, but THIS is money well spent, at least for now, my feet dont draw that much attention lol