General Dance Discussion > Dancer's Everyday Bag

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

We already have a ballroom competition kit thread and a salsa congress bag thread:
    http://www.dance-forums.com//showthread.php?t=11183
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=2936
    But we don't have a thread about what to take with us at practice and lessons. Unlike comps and congresses, time and space is much more limited. We usually grab our bags and dash to practice/lessons right after work/school/uni, so it's got to be light but efficient. For example, it's highly uncommon that I will need to have eyelash glue, 3 pairs of socks and roll on glitter in my dance bag for practice, but it's important that I don't forget my bobby pins and ordinary, everyday hair gel. Of course, the question that arises is what is really needed in your everyday dance bag and what is overdoing it? Are mints enough or should we be packing a toothbrush/paste with us? Where does one draw the line?
    The reason why I am revisiting this subject all over again is that I just bought myself a lovely pink/gray duffel bag that's PERFECT for practices, lessons and teaching. I'll be doing a lot of travelling around in town this year (from teaching to practice to lessons to OTHER lessons and backwards) so I want to make sure I have certain things stored in at all times. So far I've thought of:
    -My 3" heels.
    -Shoe brush.
    -My dance sneakers (unless I am already wearing them).
    -Deodorant.
    -Gum/mints.
    -Lots of hair bands.
    -Bobby pins.
    -Practice skirt.
    -Practice tights.
    -Legwarmers (winter approaches!).
    -My dance notebook (just in case I need to scribble down choreography).
    -My agenda (goldfish memory).
    -My CDs (I teach).
    -Regular painkillers.
    -Sanitary napkins (for girlies ;))
    -Wallet, ID papers, cellphone and keys. (I'm silly enough to take everything but those)

And the list is not complete. What would you put in? What do you carry in your bag? What do you think you should change?

T_E

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

in my practice bag: slimfast bars...change, hairbands, water bottle, perfume deodorant, mouthwash, nylon footies, latins and court shoes, CDs, appointment book/journal,...that's it

3. fascination

and yes, the comp bag is a WHOOOOOOLE 'nother story

4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Don't forget bandaids and blister bandaids!!

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh you have no idea how helpful this thread is! I can't wait to hear more answers! Now my question is how big of a bag do we get lol?

6. Twilight_Elena

Mouthwash??

T_e

7. fascination

look man, I dance standard...that is CLOSE

8. Twilight_Elena

My duffel is 24-23-44cm. Just measured it. :D

T_E

9. Twilight_Elena

I thought mints/gum would suffice.

T_E

10. Twilight_Elena

Noted! Do you think I should include a couple of rolls of bandage, just in case?

T_E

11. fascination

only lasts so long...I don't care for gum while I dance...and mints, well, babe, at my age those are just empty calories

12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

The contents of my bag: court shoes (2 pairs), ballet slippers, a pair of tights, little tubes of super glue, rubber gloves to use super glue (do not want it sticking to my hands), shoe brush, clear straps for holding shoes in place, energy bars, a long-sleeved jacket, loose pieces of paper with different notes, leftover shower caps (I need them for spray tanning), some gizmo which claimed to absorb smell (does not work as promised), standard technique book, business cards for local USA Dance chapter (to hand out to unsuspecting victims ;) ). Sometimes also practice skirt, or wallet, car keys and cell phone (if I was lazy and put on practice skirt at home). My wrist watch is floating in it somewhere.

It is obvious that I don't need to carry it further than from parking lot to the door ;)

I think I should add that when I go to the competition, I take this bag and I just add a second bag with my dresses, make up, jewelry, and everything else I need to be away from my home for a couple of days.

13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, just the word "duffel" says a lot lol. Here I was looking at small dance bags. They were really cute though lol! What was I thinking lol? :p

14. Twilight_Elena

Nooo, it's really a miniature duffel! Not that big! Very cute. I got it from a local (posh) gym.
    T_E

15. Twilight_Elena

Afterthought: Basic makeup kit? Sometimes I look like hell and need soem artificial help to get me presentable.

T_E

16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Haha! Then I might be ok with the bags that I were looking at. They said the word dance on them and they were in the mall. Very fun bags to have, but I wasn't sure if they'd be big enough. This list gives me an idea as to how big of a bag I might need. ;)

17. Twilight_Elena

I think it need to be big enough for roughly two pairs of heels and/or sneakers plus essential dancewear (extra tops, skirts, tights, etc.).
    And I was thinking of sewing "Dance!" on the bag, but I'm afraid I'll screw it up.
    Does anyone have any stones left hanging around? Maybe I'll stone "Dance" on it...
    T_E

18. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I always pack a small towel. Maybe it's a guy thing. Someone once told me that ladies never perspire - they only glisten.

19. fascination

meh, I sweat like a beast...but there is really no point to wiping it off...it'll be right back....goes like this...if pro is wearing long sleeve shirt I will wear a short sleev...if he is in short sleeves, I will put an extra layer on...whichever way is neccessary to spare him my sweat on his arm...the rest...it's just gonna be there

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Oh what about those iron on things? I bought one just to practice with, but I haven't done it yet. But I bet that would be easier than stoning the bag. But you are right. I have a small tote bag that I carry with me to class, and it's to small. I need to figure out something to carry my stuff in. Because I always take my notes and music and stuff with me like that too.