General Dance Discussion > Dancer's Everyday Bag

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Sep 30, 2006.

1. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice duffel bag I can buy to carry a couple pairs of shoes, pants, shirt, various other supplies? Something nicer than the Adidas-esque bags would be great.

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Don't laugh: LLBean. they have a nice, lightweight, sizeable tote, zipper top, pockets here and there. It's the best dance/gym bag I've yet found, and while not gorgeous, it's also not ugly as sin. Carryall Tote Bag; the price has gone up since I bought it, it's now $45. Comes in several colors.

Their description, from the website:
    Spacious wipe-clean interior can pack a change of clothes, toiletries and snacks, as well as a book or craft project. A small zip-closure pocket keeps keys and wallet easy to find. Gusseted and mesh side pockets secure camera, sunglasses and water bottle. A zip-down organizer panel has plenty of room for travel documents. Made of rugged 420-denier nylon, with a reinforced double-layer bottom and over-the-shoulder-length handles. 15"H x 17"W x 7"D. 1 lb. 3 oz. Imported.

In it, I have: smooth shoes, latin sandals, dance sneakers. Shoe brush. Therabands in several densities. Franklin balls and roll. Dance notebook. Headphones. Cable to connect iPod to studio stereo. Deodorant. Lock for gym locker. Kleenex. Protein bar. Knee-hi's, and pantihose. Socks. Long and short practice skirts. Couple of cds. At the moment, video camera (note to self: go get it out of the bag). Water bottle, currently empty. Chocolate.

And I can still carry it with ease; it's very lightweight nylon, 1lb 3oz; my Smooth dress weighs more than double that.

3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I don't carry a duffel/gym bag anymore, mine now has wheels due to shoulder spasms after lugging a purse that could sub for an anchor, got chewed out by chiroprac. after a Tango lesson put me into his office,,,yet again. So here goes, mine has - for practice, band-aides and a small patch of mole-skin, Therma-Care heat adhesive heat pads, hair grip bands, a good to go through airport travel kit - perfect compac size, a travel hair brush, shoe brush, practice shoes and heels, thin socks, yoga pants or shorts - love to practice in them(for some reason skirts are last resort), fitted practice top (helps to see shoulder topline better than my regular blouses-or so he says), 2 bottles of Propel and several granola bars, gum, I-Pod and compact speaker, planner, keys, minimal items from wallet and the ever important anti-inflamation medications. My bag has lots of pockets and handles on it so I can carry it or roll it. taaaa daaaaaa

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

omg...it has been so long since I answered this question... virtually everything....bengay, vicks, heel protectors of several varieties, elastic bands to keep the court shoes from flying off of my narrow feet...adhesive wrap, shoe brush, super glue, sewing kit, corkscrew, deodarant, perfumes, mouthwash, gum, toothpicks, toothbrush, toothpaste, ibuprophen, midol, claritan, tums, makeup of too many varieties to list, tweezers and nail clippers, file, various little tacky plastic medallions from past comps, loose change, hair bands, bobby pins, nail polish, eyelashes, baby powder, spare under things .....lord knows what else

5. Nybz

Nybz New Member

Funny the one that sticks out is the corkscrew, use it for those rough days?

6. fascination

i never leave home without a corkscrew...I feel that it is an absolute neccessity on certain days :)

7. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Thank you for the suggestion; however, I think this isn't masculine enough for me :D. I should have mentioned it's for a man. I did some scouting around found the Case Logic 22" Sport Duffel. I think that'll do the trick.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, the time being...i grab my dance shoes and go. that's it. don't even bring a separate bag. they're clean, don't smell (men's latins, recently washed, tumble-dried, with fresh innersoles) so they just go into my handbag.

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:notworth:

which reminds me... lost my favorite black corkscrew, which i've had since my NYC waitering days, en route to OSB, when i tucked it into my carry-on (gate claim) bag and took it thru security. crikey... forgot about those terrorist plots carried out with corkscrews...

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, I leave home without a ccorkscrew fine, but I have put some research into learning which quality wines are available in screw caps. :)

11. fascination

sadly, dear son broke a corkscrew trying to serve me last week so i had to sacrifice mine...positively must make note of this and remedy it

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

yeah, I'm down to two here, need to get a better one again (broke last one). Actually, I tbroke two cork screws on that darn bottle. which is a pity too, as I rather like it, and being one of the TJ specials, it's very reasonably priced
    Until you add in the 20-30 bucks (obviously, nothing special) of corkscrews it cost me. :/

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i still have 3 to choose from in my kitchen... i wil *not* be caught without! :nope:

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh, yeah, i have two now. though, that wasn't enough with that sangiovese. I've avoided buying any sangiovese from TJs since then just because i can never remember which one it is anymore

My cork extractor (not corkscrew) seems to be safe for it. b ut it's not convenient to use

15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Wow....I seem to travel rather light for a dance student. In my backpack...water bottle, small towel, 1 pr court shoes (I sometimes squeeze in a pair of latin shoes as well, if necessary), shoe brush, standard syllabus, notebook and pencil, snacks (cheese and fruit mostly), Ipod, Altoids.

Toothbrush and paste in my purse as a rule, along with the bare minimum of makeup...read: mirror, lipstick, and purfume. :)

That is all....................

16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh, my daily bag is smooth and latin shoes, shoe trees, pencil, notebook, notes, shoehorn, extra shoelaces. and two extra notebooks just because they came in three pack and I've been too lazy to take other two out of there. :)

17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<snort> oops, my bad. Such assumptions I make -- anyone who wants a dance bag must be female! So sorry!:oops:

18. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

everyday: dance sneakers, shoes (usually depending on the style I'm doing, and how close to comp time), shoe brush water, mints, tape for blisters, pen, notebook

socials: usually just dance sneakers or practice shoes, shoe brush (if needed for practice shoes), mints, water, lipgloss, deodorant

I travel pretty light...'cept on comp days!

19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

There is a great difference between what I need in my dance bag, and what I actually have.

I need to have my shoes and my shoe brush. Absolute necessities.

I actually have shoes, shoebrush, loose money, mascara, empty tic tac box, nailpolish remover, clear bra straps (they broke NYE, and I shoved them in the dance bag), tissues, and occasionally a fan.

I also sometimes have lip gloss and nail polish too...I also think I've got a couple of empty ice cream wrappers, from the time DP and I had ice blocks on the way to dancing.

20. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

two pairs of tap shoes
    one pair of jazz shoes
    towels
    socks
    underkecks
    cake/s
    gym gloves
    strawberry jam
    cd player
    headphones
    gatorade
    goldfish bowl (if you've ever watched Police Academy you'll get the gag ;) )