General Dance Discussion > Dancer's Everyday Bag

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Me

Me New Member

I am sad to admit that I am the absolute worst at packing or preparing for dance weekends.

I will pack the costume I intend to wear, plus two other back-up costumes... but leave my tights at home.

Pack tango shoes, latin shoes, and court shoes... but leave my dress shoes at home.

Pack fish oil capsules, mona vie, vitamin supplements... but leave my Advil at home.

Pack cell phone... but leave the charger at home.

Pack digital camera... but leave the memory card at home.

The list goes on and on... I have done all of the above, sometimes more than once, and there are so many other stunts I haven't included...

So I'll be lugging two or three bags... and still have to find a Wal*Mart or hunt down a boutique or something.

2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

The fabric ones, I assume? I didn't know I could wash and dry them! That's great!
    Hand or machine wash?

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Er...shoes?

When I was taking lessons, shoes and my iPod, and chap stick in a pocket? Wallet, cell, cigarettes, gum stayed stashed in car. They don't seem to count since I take them everywhere.

For socials...shoes and chap stick. Wallet gets throw into shoe bag (if I have to stop and get cash from an ATM), or cash gets thrown into the shoe bag.

I must be strange... (No comments from the peanut gallery. :p)

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

..... Nah, too easy. :)

5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

Shoes, bandaids, gum, Tylenol, chapstick, hair ties.

6. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Practice shoes, footies, mints, notebook & pen. Never considered myself a minimalist until reading this thread!

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nope, these are men's latins, made from soft kid leather.

they'd become stretched out and utterly rank. i took out the insole, washed them by hand in the tub with tide. threw them in the dryer (yes...really). and then replaced the insoles with new ones. nice benefit -- they shrank a bit & fit my feet perfectly again. there was no negative impact on the shoes whatsoever. the suede on the bottom brushed up beautifully.

(i put in these squishy new gel-type insoles, which were weird at first but then they melded to my feet. at first i also noticed my feet sliding around inside from sweat -- ick -- but that hasn't been a problem since they molded to my feet. don't know why that changed. personally, i would seek out a different type of insole next time.)

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

this sounds about right on my end. not so weird (or mebbe i'm strange as well. okay, that's probly true, heh).

when i'm in uber-dance-lesson mode, i use a cavernous bag by puma (looks a bit like a bowling bag) and i keep all three types of dance shoes in there with some heel protectors, shoe brush, gum, red burt's bees, rose oil, body cream, a notebook & pen. but that's about it.

this does not all get brought with me to socials, tho. shoes-$-lip stuff-and-go for that. :D

9. DancinProf

DancinProf Member

I take the same bag to lessons and comps, so mine is a bit overloaded for everyday. But I don't like switching things between bags. My bag (a huge one that says "Doré" on the side, hand-me-down from an instructor) has:
    3 pairs of dance shoes
    Shoe brush
    Small makeup bag
    Tupperware box containing Band-Aids, NuSkin, moleskin, scissors, and Advil
    At least one pair of legwarmers (I'm an 80s girl...)
    Random knee-highs and fishnets
    Small notebook and pen
    Hoodie
    Tissues
    Fan (not an electric one but the folding, Victorian-lady kind)

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right...for a social, I walk in with an extra shirt and my shoes...that is all...for a comp; the motherload

11. polishbloo

polishbloo New Member

What's in your dance bag?

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys usually carry in your dance bag?

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I do believe there's already a thread on this exact topic. For the life of me, I can't remember what it's called or who started it. I tried searching under dance bag and shoe bag. For obvious reasons, dance gave me too many threads to look through. And I'll tell you what. This crew is obsessed with shoes. :lol:

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we absolutely do a have a thread on it...and I trust TC to find it...but I will give it a whirl as well

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Merged threads :)

15. pygmalion

TC! You totally and completely rock! Thanks. :)

16. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

People seem to be so much more prepared than me, but then I change at work and go to practice then home.

I have:
    • Ballroom 2.5ins shoes
    • Latin 3ins shoes
    • Wire brush
    • Bus pass, money, keys and phone
    • Make-up bag containing tooth brush and paste, hand cream, a bit of make-up, hair brush and ties/pins, mints, safety pins, nail file
    • My Kindle (for when I get there early or when things are running behind)
    :)

17. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

Hate that! Once at a comp someone left an uncovered show brush bristles up on the floor... I stepped on it... not a happy camper...

As for my dance bag, it depends on the day but I generally carry a large amount of stuff...

• Standard Shoes
    • Latin Shoes
    • Dance Sneakers (for while I'm teaching)
    • Shoe Brush
    • Extra Heel Guard (singular....)
    • Hand Lotion (Enchanted by Bath and Bodyworks!)
    • Chocolate
    • Water Bottle
    • Theraband
    • Ipod
    • Luna Bar
    • Blindfold, long ribbon, toliet paper tube (for corrections)
    • Netbook
    • Band aids
    • Checkbook
    • Several pens (they tend to run away...)
    • Pile of assorted comp jewelry that my teammates have returned to me
    • Hairband and bobby pins
    • Feminine supplies
    • Jazz pants
    • Melvin! (lucky stuffed monkey)

I also have 2 pairs of ballet flats, 2 pairs of good pointes, 1 pair of deshanked pointes, a pair of jazz shoes, unworn paws, toe pads, tights, leo, 2 sets of shorts, legwarmers, warm-up shirts, extra ribbons, sewing kit, hair clip, rosin, pack of tissues, and random flotsam... but that is all because I typically go from one practice to the next, the actual list is what I bring to practice for ballroom.

18. pygmalion

Good grief! I hope your "dance bag" is a giant rolling duffel! :lol: Besides, as long as you have Melvin, who needs anything else? :wink: :-D

19. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

My competition kit is a horse of an entirely different color, but I keep things relatively simple for my everyday bag. I think it's just shoes, shoe brush, checkbook*, pen, various notes my instructor has written for me, and the odd miscellanious bits of paper detritus. For example, I think I'm still carrying around the program from a showcase I went to the better part of a year ago.

* Since I leave my shoes in my car when I'm not using them, keeping a checkbook in them may not be the single wisest thing I've ever done. But I pay most of my bills electronically, meaning the vast majority of checks that I write are for dance expenses. Funny story though, I DID have my car broken into once and came back to find the contents of one of my shoebags emptied out onto the floor of my car. I have a sneaking suspicion that the crook had seen the bag and figured it was my stash, not realizing that I'm far too much of a dweebish-straight-and-narrow kind of guy to even have such a thing. It amused me to imagine the look of disgust on the crook's face when he pulled my latin shoes out of my bag. ;)

20. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

*laughs* I wish! Try a basic bag stuff into my backpack... I usually leave for class in the morning and don't get back till 11 or so after dance...

Melvin is, of course, very important. :) Luckily, he's very tiny and also quite useful! He has magnets in his hands and feet so he tend to collect all those loose bobby pins floating around my bag for me. :)