General Dance Discussion > dancers in arizona?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by boco, Feb 24, 2005.

1. boco

boco New Member

probably a long shot...

is there anyone here living in arizona besides myself? if so, anyone in the phoenix area?

might be nice to get together with other dancers :eek:

-justin

2. dTas

dTas New Member

you're in the middle of dance central down there (at least American style ballroom)

there should be a lot of opportunities to dance.

3. aragonh

aragonh New Member

You may want to check out the dance studios in the area.
    2 that I know of are the Paragon Dance Studio (on Rural & Elliot in Tempe) and Kyote Ballroom (on Rural and Interstate 60 in Tempe) both have dance socials. I just dont know what the nights are for the dance styles :(

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Right here boco, welcome :D

I'm the only one in Tucson who's an active poster on these forums anyway; there are some others who live in Phoenix.

I do go up there every so often to dance; particularly to the Paragon in Tempe; great place. 8)

5. boco

boco New Member

well, right now im only *active* in hiphop..

and i take lesosns/classes at encore (bethany home and 7th), in phoenix... but would like to leanr other styles..

but i cant afford to take classes =)

i was really just wondering if im alone in the world here...

i mean, i have the people in my class, but other than that, i don't know anyone interested in this sort of thing.

but thanks, ill check those places out =)

6. Spitfire

boco, I don't know how complete this list is, but this is a site for info on Phoenix area dancing.

Ballroom Dancing

7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

my friends felix & priscilla recently started a USABDA chapter in phoenix.

http://www.phoenixusabda.org/

should you ever meet them tell them barry says hi & that they owe me an email.

8. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

Jeannie Tucker is in Tuscon. Excellent WCS teacher and competitor. Plus will help you work on your body mechanics. Wish I lived a bit closer. She also teaches Salsa, I believe. Her website is jeannietucker.com

9. Spitfire

I met Felix and Priscilla last month at their USABDA dance in Mesa. I had some dances with Priscilla and she's great. I've been in touch with her and will relay your message as well.

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i'll bet the refreshments at the dance were top notch. they used to run a monthly ballroom dance in hollywood before they moved to phoenix.

11. Spitfire

Yeah, the refreshments were pretty good, but the most incredible thing was the attendance; there must have been 200 people. We don't see that here in Tucson.

12. ArmySwingMan

ArmySwingMan New Member

Southern AZ

I just moved into the southern Arizona area and I didn't have a chance to even pack along shoes. Baka. :oops: I've since picked some up and I'm down here for quite a while. I'm in the Douglas-Nogales-Sierra Vista Triangle.

13. boco

boco New Member

Re: Southern AZ

wow.. youre ALL the way down there.

why nogales area?

14. ArmySwingMan

ArmySwingMan New Member

Need I Say More?

I'll just point to my wonderful title and I'll let you know I'm south of Davis-Monthan AFB. I'd love to be closer to Tucson but that's not the case. :roll:

15. Spitfire

Re: Southern AZ

Welcome ArmySwingMan, to DF and So. Ariz. :D

You're in perhaps my favorite part of this state; very historic area. What dances are you into? Be glad to give you information about dancing here. :D

Are you serving at Ft. Huachuca? or doing something with the Air Force? you mentioned Davis-Monthan.

16. ArmySwingMan

ArmySwingMan New Member

Laundry List

There is a lot of different stuff that I danced back in my heyday. West Coast Swing and Waltz were probably my favorites. I also knew Argentine Tango, Rhumba, Cha-Cha, Foxtrot, and a whole luandry list of other dances but the first two I mentioned are probably where I'd like to focus now.

And, duh, yes. I'm at Huachuca for another couple of months. I got into thinking about dance and left out the other part of your message.

17. Spitfire

Re: Laundry List

If you go here you can download the TSDC newsletter for info on WCS in Tucson:

TSDC

Waltz? only place with open social ballroom dancing on Friday and Saturday is the Arizona Ballroom Co. where I go. Cost is six dollars and runs from 8:00 - 10:30. It is located on the southeast corner of Grant and Craycroft here in Tucson.

About the only other thing is the monthly USABDBA dance held downtown. Info for that can be found here.