Ballroom Dance > Dancer's Resolutions - 2016

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancing Irishman, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

s2k likes this.
  2. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

For 2015, I went with the physical - more stretching, more yoga, more cardio and weights. And - go figure :rolleyes: - I saw really good results, which created a really positive feedback loop for me. My dancing was stronger, faster, more controlled, and so I worked out far more consistently than I ever have.

So for 2016, I'm going with the mental aspect of my dancing. I am going to work on my performance anxiety and my headspace, and the only reason I'm able to do it - seriously DO IT this year, as opposed to all the other weak attempts at dealing with the mental challenges of competing - is that I found results with the physical last year. If I work at mental conditioning/training, like I did with physical training, then I ought to see results, there, too. (Right? RIGHT??)

Last week I bought a book called "10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins" and it's an actual manual with practical tips and exercises for exactly what I need. I've gotten a head start on the new year and have been working on the ideas in the book (not a single self-help YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU BELIEVE cliche in it anywhere) and already feel like I've learned how to better visualize results and control my breath - and I'm only three chapters in.

So that's my 2016 goal: learn how to clean up my headspace and make my brain work for me rather than against me.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm a little anxious that this resolution won't go well. That despite my attempts, I'll still screw up. So now you see why my resolution is what it is, now, don't you? Ugh. :eek:

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing- this is something most people need to work on. I know I do. I haven't got in a space yet to create any resolutions, but I have a few things I am thinking about

4. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Stop letting myself get distracted by trivial things and practice more. It's become too easy to let non-dance things sidetrack me.

Same thing with the gym.

Get back on a reasonable diet instead of wolfing down things that I know aren't good for me. Have to drop 10 pounds - tired of feeling porky although that seems to be my equilibrium point right now. Tail suits don't allow room to grow IME.

I do need to quantify the first two so I can measure progress or lack thereof.

5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

To put more effort into developing my dancing skills independently rather than just in the partnership context.

To make sure I'm balancing my dance time with my life time...I can let it overtake at the expense of studying and relationships. I need to keep a balance.

To put effort into general fitness...I did the weight loss this year...next year I'm doing flexibility, endurance, and strength.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I suppose at some point in 2016 I'll be shopping for a new partner.

7. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

Mine is decidedly unexciting. It's to institute and persevere with a foot/ankle/balance routine. I have a variety of foot issues and there's no guarantee that strengthening them will help, but there's no harm in trying. Also, I have sprained both ankles over the years and that apparently effects one's proprioception--the nerves that pass that information to the brain get damaged. There are specific exercises to help re-establish the connection (balance exercises on unstable surfaces). While I have done a fair number of balance exercises over the years, plus a lot of ankle strengthening exercises, I haven't done very much of the ones that help with proprioception. Probably why my balance is a major weak point of my dancing. It is a tedious set of exercises.

8. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

Do you or your gym have bosu balls? (They definitely help with balance issues!)

blackswan likes this.
  9. RiseNFall

Unstable surfaces such as bosu balls are excellent for proprioception. However, I also have knee problems and unstable surfaces are not recommended with those. :confused: I'm going to try the simplest of unstable surfaces--a folded towel--and proceed with (extreme) caution.

10. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Practice, practice, practice...I have been unacceptably lazy in 2015. That, and get out of my head and trust that my body knows what to do.

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

For a couple of years I worked to develop some extra income through dancing. While this has been great, I prefer always to be dancing mainly because it is what I enjoy most in life. So one of my commitments in 2016 is to extend this even further where dancing is mostly out of joy and not too much about money.

12. RiseNFall

January 2nd and I almost forgot to do my foot/ankle/balance exercises. o_O I hope I grow fonder of them over time....

13. s2k

s2k Well-Known Member

My am partner and I have decided to do something together this year in terms of put mental practice; it's so easy to focus on the negative, the things we need to work on next time, the feelings of inadequacy because we haven't "gotten it" yet. So our idea is to write in our practice journal ONE GOOD THING that came out of our practice that day. I've already felt more positive leaving practice thinking about that OGT rather than the usual feelings of dejection that I haven't "gotten it" yet.

Loki, raindance and RiseNFall like this.
  14. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

"Feelings of dejection" sum it up sometimes...

s2k likes this.
  15. rels77

rels77 Active Member

Mine is opposite many of yours. It's to have more FUN dancing. To stop taking it so damn seriously. To be able to look back at the end of the year and say to myself "this past year I learned a lot, but more importantly, I had a BLAST!"

Loki and RiseNFall like this.
  16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Counterpoint: working hard towards a goal IS fun for some people (or at least me, but I don't claim to be representative of many people). And, at least for me, if I don't struggle with something it's not especially fun to achieve it. I stuck with swimming all four years in high school in part because I was *terrible* my first year (the stern, never smiles JV coach actually laughed at my first attempt at backstroke). And knowing where I came from made being a varsity starter and team captain (of, admittedly, a decent but not amazing team that was light on people in my year) that much more satisfying. The first Bronze final I made in collegiate was likewise all the more satisfying knowing that my first comp I didn't get a single callback vote (in newcomer). Not saying your approach is wrong (I felt a little burned out just thinking about the schedule you listed in the spending thread), but offering up that, for me, it's not as fun without the sweat and tears (and occasionally blood, at least on my partner's feet).

s2k, FancyFeet and raindance like this.
  17. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

The apartment building I'm moving into has a yoga studio and my place has gorgeous wooden floors. So that means I'm resolving to practice at least half an hour a day. I'm terribly undisciplined and that needs to change.

Plus, I can easily remember my cha cha and samba routines...not so much my rumba, which is the operative one.

GGinrhinestones likes this.
  18. Dance Mad Helen

Dance Mad Helen Active Member

My resolution is to go to at least 1 social dance at my studio each month. They have them every week but since it is an 80 mile round trip which I already do twice a week I thought this might be a good goal as I need to dance with other people other than my teacher. I also need to learn floor craft which I can't do really in group classes as it is a class for people without a partner

19. rels77

rels77 Active Member

I agree! I love working hard. I love the learning part of it. I love the frustrations of getting it wrong a million times and then finally getting it right. It was the burnout over the focusing on the results. I've worked my knat off and had mostly excellent results quickly, which translated into a lot of "well, are you going to shoot for winning Ohio, etc?" and that kind of focus was not good for me.

Dancing Irishman and RiseNFall like this.
  20. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My typical resolutions are to continue what I've been doing as far as practicing and competing. In addition to that I said I'd do one showcase with a friend in the near future... which has me a bit terrified to even think about. He wants to make it a standard dance too... ACK! :wacky: