General Dance Discussion > Dances we used to do when we were kids

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Sep 7, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

In the middle of one night this weekend, d nice and I had an interesting conversation about the bop, a dance I used to do as a very little kid. That got me wondering, how many cool dances are out there that we know about? Not the standard swing or foxtrot or salsa-type dances. The dances that we did when we were kids -- the ones that lasted a few weeks, or months, or were only in one region, or "went with" a particular song.

(I can think of a few -- the funky broadway by James Brown, for example)

Please share. If you can describe the dance, region, music or time period, even better.

But if all you have is a name, still please share.

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I love this topic! Ok, let's see:

The Wop - Little side-to-side head movement you could freak out with a little footwork or bending it over

The Smurf and the FILA - Still thinking on how to describe them :lol:

The Humpty Hump - Listen to the song, Humpty describes the dance

The Bump - and bump hips to the right, and bump hips to the left. So many ways to freak the bump out.

Tootsie Roll - to the left to the left, to the right to the right, to the front to the front, to the back to the back, now slide baby slide - slide baby slide!

3. pygmalion

Oh yes. I still do the bump (learned that one from my big brother!).

I just add it into a WCS basic. When the guy brings you in on a basic, come all the way in and add a little hip bump before you go back out. Fun!

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

As a kid I was not into dancing at all, but I recall my first grade teacher having us do the Hokey Pokey and later in 4th and 5th grades the teacher having us do square dancing. Most of us boys didn't like it including me, but I think most of the girls did.

5. pygmalion

Oh! You poor thing!

I grew up in a house full of amateur dancers, and that's why I'm dancing today. (Because they laughed at me, and I have a big chip on my shoulder and something to prove)

My older brother and sisters did

the bump
    the mickey's monkey
    the funky chicken
    the swim
    the frug
    the funky broadway
    the twist
    the tighten up
    the bop

and a bunch of stuff I don't even remember, but I'll call my big sister and ask!

6. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

funky chicken
    humpty dance
    electric slide
    roger rabbit
    running man
    cabbage patch
    tootsie roll
    butterfly
    the twist

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I wish it were otherwise, but I grew up in the "wouldn't be caught dead" dancing camp... Almost outgrew it at camp one summer with some folk dancing but my girlfriend at the time was even less dance minded then I...

8. d nice

d nice New Member

Pretty much all the ones mentioned above, add to it the MC Hammer (or jackhammer), charlie brown, snoopy, pac-man, wow so many...

Are we only includin the ones that we no longer do?

9. pygmalion

Hey. Wait a minute! Did anybody mention the freak? (As in c'est chic)
    I still do this one, when I'm out club freestyle dirty dancing.

Both hands in the air, and gyrate your middle as suggestively as possible. Lots of fun for boys and girls. :lol:

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks for "getting the blood moving" so early this morning!!!"

11. pygmalion

Actually, when the freak came out, in the late seventies, my youth minister gave sermons about the evils of that dance. Then of course all we kids had to go try it. Guess his advice didn't stick too well. :lol:

12. d nice

d nice New Member

That pretty common. C Walk, the Push, Freak, Twist, Jitterbug, Lindy Hop, Charleston, and even on down to Viennese Waltz were all considered evil and contributors to the deliquincey and moral decay.

13. Spitfire

All hail to our "evil"! :tongue:

14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

if dancing is evil, call me la diabla :twisted:

15. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

I too was in the "Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Dancing" camp as a youth, but in my teenage years, I started to think different. Dancing did eventually help me get out of my shell.

16. Spitfire

Back about 1972 there was a dance known as the Robot; never saw it done, but there was a hit song that year in regards to it.

17. pygmalion

Man, Spitfire, I had forgotten all about the robot.

You know what kills me? One day, people like d nice and SDSalsaguy will be studying stuff like this. I find that humorous, for some reason. Either way, we've got the goods.

Yup. The robot was definitely a stand-alone dance. I had friends in middle school, high school, and (sadly) college, who did this dance regularly. They attributed it to Michael Jackson, but I don't think MJ invented it.

Either way, good addition to the list. :D

While we're talking about this, I can't spell them, but are the boogaloo, and the watoosi actually dances, or just something referred to in various songs? Hmmm. Inquiring minds want to know.

18. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the group, but had to jump into this post as I LOVE remembering childhood...I don't think this one has been posted yet, and it's not exactly a "dance-dance," but I had to list it anyway: the hokey pokey! You know, that silly little dance where you stand in a circle and continually stick a miscellaneous part of your body into the center and shake it about.

"You put your right arm in. You put your right arm out. You put your right arm in and you shake it all about. You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around...that's what it's all about."

I think the actual "hokey pokey" part of the dance is kind of like shaking "spirit fingers" close to the sides of your face...if that make sense.

Well...just had to add it.

Ooh...just thought of one more...even more hokey (no pun intended :wink:)...The Macarena!

19. pygmalion

Welcome, dancersdreamland.

Yes, oh yes. The hokey pokey is definitely a dance.

Welcome to the forums. Glad you made a post! Really glad.

Remembering childhood is cool, isn't it? Made all the difference to me; of course some of the songs I remember are too embarrassing to post, but what the heck! I'll post the G-rated ones!

Welcome to you!
    :D :D :D :D

Jenn

20. Spitfire

The Boogaloo and Watusi were actual dances from the 1960's as far as I know, but have no idea of how they were done. Getting back to the Robot I don't recall the artist(s) who did the song, but it was certainly not a Michael Jackson creation.