Dance Websites > Dancesport Photo's

Discussion in 'Dance Websites' started by meow, Jun 13, 2007.

1. meow

meow New Member

www.dancesportphoto.net :D This website is based in Australia although they travel all over the world to cover dance competitions. Photo's are taken, at random, in all events and levels and are placed on their website. These can be viewed and, if you wish, you can order.
    They have a sister site on Dancewear which I will list separately.

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

There was some discussion on photography quality at the recent SF comp and it reminded me of something that irritated me rather. Our local photography company has fairly strict rules about general photography in that they are OK with 'normal' (read point and shoot) type cameras but ban 'professional' (read SLR) types. The idea is to ensure that they get the only high-quality shots. I think this a little severe but accept it for thier business protection.

The good thing about this company, however, is that they will sell you the full digital file of a picture. As a photoshop-nut I need this to clean up the image and either print or uplodad it according to my own needs. However, at a recent comp the owner of the photography both (a nationally-known ballroom comp photog company) got quite hot under the collar when I asked if I could buy the digital file. She reacted with what can only be described as venom at the suggestion. Her reply to my question of how to upload the image was to scan it. Needless to say, I did not buy any images from her - even though some were quite good they are of little real use to me.

Is this general or was this just this particular company? Note we didn't even get to the issue of price, it was just a flat and angry no.

ON the other hand, they will allow

3. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I like this site, however I like the old version of their way of displaying dance photos better, I hate the partial thumbnail view what they currently using, such a pain to click into each photos to view the entire picture...completely taking away the pleasure of browsing:(

4. Standarddancer

I've always tried purchase digital files as much as possible. At Emerald I asked Park West if they could sell digital, they told me they don't offer, if I really need, that will be $400 each photo!!!:(:( then they said yes the price is so outrageous so they don't even list it as an option to sell to people. Then they also say that the photographer is a professional who gets great resell business...so he won't sell his original digital files.

I"ve posted this on the Emerald site and Larinda said because of copy right issue. I thought copy right even a bigger deal in Europe, and dancesportinfo don't care about selling digital files, and there are a few other European photographers at Blackpool and they all sell digital files.

I think Park west is one of the few photographers don't sell digital files in the countries. I ordered from numerous other photographers in USA, usually don't have trouble getting digital files.

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I always look at this site as they have blackpool photos. I had it bookmarked since last year.. btw their dancewear site has not been updated since over ayear ago so not sure they are actually using it at all

6. Standarddancer

I've never noticed they have dancewear section...maybe just me not good with website online stuff...lol...

7. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

fyi not dancesportinfo site but dancesportphoto site

8. swan

swan Member

Ah, that's Dallas William's site. The dressmaker site, Dancewear Australia, is his wife's. Martha made me quite a number of gowns in my early competitive career when the Australian dollars exchange was good :) My shaded emerald green chrisanne fabric gown in 2005, Kitty loved that one, was made by Martha. Dallas judges international comps quite often in Asia. I think they're Oz champs in the early days.