General Dance Discussion > Dancewear: Prices are "hot hot hot"!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Twilight_Elena, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

So I was checking out danceshopper.com for some CD info, and my eye strayed to the dance wear section, like every other gal's.
    So I saw this baby:
    [​IMG]

What a beauuutiful dress! I just love that kind of style. I was halfway ready to check out my local dance store to see if they have that brand when...
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I saw the price.
    449$.
    449$!
    Well that was a cold shower.
    I've heard about ballroom gowns being highly expensive and generally competitive ladieswear bearing spicy pricetags. But this dress seemed as normal/everyday/nondancing to me as what I've seen at the stores.
    Explanation? And why is dancewear so pricey anyway?

Twilight Elena

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Because some people can and will pay it.

3. Medira

Medira New Member

Dancewear is so expensive because it's considered "specialty" since most of the general public doesn't dance and therefore, doesn't have any use for it.

Specialty = ridiculously inflated prices.

4. pygmalion

That's true with every "specialty" thing. Try shopping for bridal anything. Three times the cost of non-bridal, at least, most of the time. Or buy an infant anything. An outfit that takes half a yard of $2 broadcloth and half-an-hour of labor with cost you fifty bucks. If people will pay it, up goes the price.

That's why a lot of ladies I know shop in the evening wear section, buy stuff on clearance and then adapt the garments for dancing, if needed. Or the ones who can sew, sew. Either way works for me. 8)

5. Laura

Laura New Member

Actually, if I were making that dress custom for someone, I think it would end up costing just about that much. However, if that dress was mass-produced somewhere with lower labor costs than what I'd pay myself, then that seems like a lot for it.

6. pygmalion

Exactly, Laura. 8)

7. Medira

Medira New Member

Urk. Don't remind me.

<- 10 weddings to go to in the next 2 years

8. alemana

alemana New Member

that is an insane amount of money for that dress, truly.

9. pygmalion

Actually, I should say that there are a couple websites out there which sell similar garments massed produced outside the US, at a fraction of the $449 price. Think $150 ish, often quite a bit less, if they're clearing out merchandise.

And there are pictures posted here in older threads of stretchy-fabric evening wear which is perfectly suitable for dancing (if you add a pair of dance trunks.)

If you're going to spend the big bucks, get something custom for the price, IMO. 8)

10. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I don't perform, but I've had some decent luck finding dresses on sale during the high school dance off-season. With Prom approaching, I'm not expectig to purchase anything for a while, but I've gotten some amazing deals in the past.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah, i don't buy any 'real' dancewear - other than a single practice latin skirt i bought at capezio for WAY too much money, everything i dance in comes from cheap 'trendy' shops.

12. pygmalion

If you're relatively easy to fit, you can get practice skirts mail order from places like Discount Dance Supply at a reasonable price. Where I used to live, a couple of the ballet stores would special order anything not in stock. No extra charge. 8)

13. pygmalion

btw, I just went back and checked again today. One of the websites I was talking about is notablyunique. The most expensive thing I've ever seen there was in the Chrisanne ready-to-wear line. But, if you stick with the non-Chrisanne clothes, the most expensive thing I've ever seen was a full-circle, multilayer smooth practice skirt, $225 (which is entirely justified, when you consider the amount of fabric in those babies.) Right now, they have a way-cute dance dress perfect for Newcomer level on clearance for $59.50. Now that's what I'm talking about. :wink: :lol:

14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

You can get stuff like that made of synthetic materials(best for dancing and sweating in) in the $70 range if you do a search for exotic dancewear...

15. pygmalion

Yup. When shopping for dancewear, keep your options open.

I've worn skating costumes, too. You can sometimes get those from a cheerleader, skate or ballet shop for very reasonable prices. 8)

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Here are a couple of sample sites. (Ladies, you might NOT want to show these to your daughters lest they choose these for pron dresses!)

http://w w w.nmclubwear.com/dresses.html

http://w w w.lakiss.com/alakiss/glamourgowns.html

[It is df policy that any commercial links in forums other then ads and event announcements or websites are deactivated links. I have deactivated these links by putting spaces between the www. Sagitta]

17. pygmalion

LOL! I'm going to need reconstructive surgery, if I plan to wear any of those! :lol: :lol:

18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I've seen a lot of stuff like that at salsa parties!
    If you do a bit of scrolling, there ARE a few, well, "sensible" outfits...

19. pygmalion

*giggle* I guess I tend to go for sensible. No costumes requiring silicone, please. :wink: :lol:

20. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

My problem with sexy clubwear, partywear, etc., is that many are designed to show off your curves. You are screwed if you haven't got any!

Most of my dancing clothes come from shops where teenagers shop for their club dancing clothes. They are cheap, cheerful and stretchy, and you can find designs for girls who haven't (yet :lol:) developed their curves.