General Dance Discussion > Dancing, a Woman's Sport

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Black Sheep, Jun 24, 2003.

1. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Sometimes when I'm dancing I'm like "How did I know that was a 6 and not 8?" The answer is (for me) just trusting the connection and not assuming/anticipating the next move. Trust in your connection and you don't have to think about the count.

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

SwinginBoo,
    Let me build on that . . .

I think you've said before that you are a Lindy dancer. Right?

WCS and Lindy are basically the same dance. Right?

So, if I did a basic "whip," how do you know to walk-walk, counts 5-6? Is it something I do? Or don't do?

If I moved this on to a basic "continuous whip," how do you know to keep moving with me.

I really am curious about this, and I've been asked this by students.

I assume the answer to be that I'm not moving during count-4 of the basic whip and in your slot, yet still moving during count-4 of the continuous whip and out of your slot???

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Ok, I would agree about Lindy and WCS being practically the same as far as patterns go.

In a basic whip I would know to walk-walk counts five and six because like you said you aren't moving and we're still in the slot. When you go for the continous I can feel your body still moving, your frame tells me to go to 7&8. I don't normally think about patterns and things like that when I'm dancing so I had to really think about this. I guess you answered your own question really. I think a lot of it is really relying on the connection, and if you're in WCS, keeping the slot in mind.

I'm sorry, I know this didnt help you any :(

4. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Vince, I'll tell you what I was told by a Pro and it works. The walk walk can be extended if the leader keeps moving forward, around or whatever and until the leader stops and we triple step. So you don't have to know how many counts there are. We basically do the walk, walk, triple step, triple step to everything. Ok, I'm not explaining it that well, but you get the point right?

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

On no . . . you did help! You confirmed what I thought! I also follow (and I know that you lead) and I'm just trying to "nail" the slot or frame thing. I keep hearing both sides - although everybody at DF says frame!

I know I have to turn my shoulders for you to follow, say in a R side pass, but I'm stepping out of the slot on 2, then moving on . . . in WCS!

If I didn't turn my frame (shoulders) but still stepped out of the slot, would you still follow?

6. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

I would still follow if your arm went in the direction you wanted me to go. I often follow that move when dancing. When I run out of arm I'm sure the leader will tell me where he wants me to go with the connection.

Does this make sense? :?

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yes, you did . . . and it makes sense. The arm is still attached to the frame?

8. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

ok, so if you stepped out of the slot, but did not turn -- essentially we'd be facing in opposite directions for a moment. (if we are thinking of the same thing here) the connection would be held from your left hand to my right - so your left hand would be wrapped across the front of your body. Ok, now from there you could lead whatever you like because the connection is between our hands.

You could turn and step back in the slot
    You could bring me back through the slot the way I came in a turn

Am I talking about the right thing here? Or is this just utter nonsense? :oops:

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

You're right on. Actually, you are heading right where I was going.

So, in a sense, no pattern or specific moved was involved, yet we were "playing?"

Which, to me, is the essence of WCS!

10. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Exactly. I feel like knowledge of the patterns is important because it gets the engine started and lays the tracks, but the "Playing" is what it's really all about. :tongue:

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yep . . . "playing" is what the two dances are all about, and that's what I'm trying to get all of my dance friends to think about. It's so hard to get some of them off of . . . "Oh, I have to learn that difficult 32-count move . . . it looked so hot!" YUCK!

Basics, connection, frame . . . eyes, flirting, playing = FUN!

12. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

I would go forward only when I felt the lead/weight transfer and the triple step turns are not taken for granted. I would have to be "caught" and lead into the turn. (compression occurs between the lead's right hand and my back) This happens seemingly automatically most of the time but I keep an active ear to what my lead is telling me... he might have a surprise for me and I wouldn't know it unless I listen.