Dancers Anonymous > Dancing burnouts?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancer at heart, Oct 1, 2003.

1. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Do any of you ever get to a burn out point where you question why you dance or how far you really can go? what did you do then?

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

YES! That's when I joined dance forums and started asking questions. I'm NOT making this up. In a week or two, I got so much emotional and technical support, that I went from burnt-out and cynical to super-active and ready to go. No foolin' The more you participate, the more support you feel!

There's another thread on the forums somewhere (in general dance discussion, I think :? ) that you may want to check out. Burnout question.

G-d bless you. :D

We all go through periods of introspection and self-doubt. Just hang in there. You'll be okay. :D PM me if you want.

Jenn

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I actually made a post on this same subject some time back feeling that I was in a burn out stage myself and as I later mentioned in that thread I feel this is due more to where I go dancing rather then the dancing itself.

I do find that when I can go dancing at a different venue or event the change makes a difference or if the studio holds a theme dance which to me does change the atmosphere. I do most of my dancing at the best place to do so here, but having done it for so long it does tend to get stale after awhile and the other options are monthly rather then weekly.

No matter what though I'll keep on dancing. :)

4. dancer at heart

dancer at heart New Member

Thanks for the tip on the other threads on this subject....

I guess as of late I am re-examining my priorities, and I had noticed that dancing has kind of taken up most of my free time. I suppose I am questioning whether this addiction is good (I have of course benefitted from all aspects of dancing that was talked about in another thread)...can too much of a good thing be bad?

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hang in, dancer at heart. Please! :D

Honestly, we all feel that inadequacy, frustration, desire to move on ... Whatever you call it. Bottom line is that you will get through it, if you hang in long enough. In the meantime, enjoy your dancing! :D DF is there to support you. :D

6. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I burn myself out every 4-5 months because I dance a LOT. When this happens I take a 1-2 week break. By the end of the break I'm always chomping at the bit to get back out there. It's in my blood! :wink:

7. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

As someone wise in some old movie said, "This too shall pass." Hang in there and keep the faith. You'll be in my prayers.

8. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Taking a break is a great idea. I bet you won't go even five days without itching to dance. :wink:

9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Tell me about it!!!! I am feeling totally dance deprived! I guess it's the opposite of burnout.

10. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

everyone has those days...keep with it!

11. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Maybe it's time to mix things up a bit. Take lessons from a new teacher. Try a different dance. Go to a different social event. Make it different.