Swing Discussion Boards > Dancing in LA over New Years

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by LindyLuv, Dec 23, 2004.

1. LindyLuv

LindyLuv New Member

Hey, all!

I am going to Los Angeles for a long weekend over New Years to visit family. I am a lindy hopper, and I really want to go dancing over the weekend. I searched for swing dance events in LA and - WOW! - there are so many places to dance. :shock:

I know there are tons of people from different places on these forums --- is there anyone out there from LA who can tell me where to dance?? What are the best events/venues for lindy hop? Someone please save me!!! Thanks a bunch :wink:

Happy holidays and happy dancing ~~~

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

exactly what days will you be here?

3. LindyLuv

LindyLuv New Member

I'm getting in on the 30th (Thrusday) and leaving on the 4th (the following Tuesday)

4. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

hmm. friday & saturday most places will probably be closed.

but you might check memories in whittier which usually has lindy M,F & S:

http://www.memoriesdancing.com

atomic ballroom is also pretty popular & have dances Th & F:

http://www.atomicballroom.com (use their directions as their entrance is actually off main)

sunday you might try monsoon cafe:

http://www.mysocialcircle.biz

monday night you might try:

http://www.sugarfootstomp.com/

depending on what time you get in, on thursday night (as i'll probably be there myself):

http://www.lindygroove.com/Directions.htm

if you go there you can ask folks about the rest of the nights
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    if you have more questions please PM me.

5. LindyLuv

LindyLuv New Member

Awesome! Thanks so much :D
    Hopefully I'll see you on Thursday ~

6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Darn it darn it darn it...

Of course, I leave Tuesday.

7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

you might try ps 30:11 studio in long beach on sunday night for ballroom. but most folks come with a partner.

http://invitation.to/dance/sched-dec04.htm

and this monday sugarfoot should be open.

8. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Yipes... that presumes I can make it from near Redondo out to Long Beach without a car of my own. :cry:

9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

oh well. the only place that would have been relatively close is the mayflower ballroom in westchester (by LAX) on wednesday nights. or maybe something with the hughes (the aerospace company) social club.

oh yeah. arthur murray up here in pasadena on sunday nights. never been there, probably never will...

now back to cleaning up the house for the big dinner party tomorrow.

merry christmas!

10. tacad

tacad New Member

Hi etchuck! Actually, now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind going dancing in Long Beach Sunday. Redondo Beach is on my way and I could pick you up. tsb is right. We may want to bring our own partners. I've e-mailed one friend who is pretty good. No formal training but can follow most anything. Maybe she or I can scare up one more. Let me give it a try. I'll PM you my phone number.

Donald

11. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

a couple of last thoughts:

sunday afternoon in long beach there's supposed to be a live band playing at the:

GOLDEN SAILS RESORT HOTEL
    Main Lounge, 6285 Pacific Coast Hwy. Dance to either Tracy Wells' All Stars or the Yachtsmen Seven; swing with some ballroom & Latin. Cost: $8; lesson 1pm; dancing 2-5pm. 562-598-1429

but i suspect the 'bring your own partner' edict would apply even more here; if we're going to do a DF get together i'd consider it but all my potential partners are out of town this weekend - except for the chicken - and i think she's mad at me for taking a new partner recently.

-----
    and for lindyluv on monday night, there's supposed to be a new venue in glendale at the rusty pelican 300 harvey dr. (one block north of the 134 exit) which i will probably check out this monday night.

12. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Hmm... unfortunately my former dance partner who lives in Loma Linda is very much not in the mood to drive. I'll check with her anyway.

Hopefully I can tell my folks after the massive post-Christmas shopping rush "I have plans." They ought to understand... I hope. :car:

13. tacad

tacad New Member

sigh Looks like my friend is not available as well. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

14. etchuck

etchuck New Member

15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

if you're thinking swing alpine village is relatively nearby and open monday night.

and btw, a number of the places at this website are primarily WCS, and others are closed. i'd call first.

16. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

One of my friends is having a New Years Eve party in Burbank on Friday, Dec 31, at the Realtor's Hall in Burbank, 2006 Magnolia, about 4 blocks east of Buena Vista. The cost is $25, and I think includes a buffet dinner and possibly champagne toast at midnight. The DJ is also a friend of mine, and she tends to play a mix of ballroom -- foxtrot, rumba, salsa, cha cha, swing (east and west coast), and tango. Enough of each to tease, not enough of anything to satisfy. Anyway, I think you might have to reserve in advance. I'm not sure you can just show up, because Gene needs to have a have a headcount for the caterer. Anyway, here's the website for Gene's website:

http://www.dewalddance.com/

It has his phone number which you can call and ask for more details and make a reservation. If you decide to go, tell him I sent you.

Unfortunately, I won't be going. I'll be going to a tango party in Downey, and you indicated you were looking more for a swing party. But I gotta have my tango. I'm looking at a five day wasteland of no tango between tonight and next Thursday, and I'm not sure how I will survive such a long famine, but I guess I have no other choice. More than two days without tango and I get rather psychotic.

Renee

PS Hey, tacad! I just realized -- my Sunday evening tango class is cancelled this Sunday. You need a dance partner for Sunday? And if etchuk wants to come along, well, I've always wondered what it would be like to do two men at once!! Or have you had enough of my company for one week?

PPS etchuk -- are you Ukrainian, by any chance?

17. Doug

Doug New Member

So San Diego is not LA, but the BIG New Years Lindy event (4 nights of dancing to Mora's Modern, Jonaton Stout, & I have forgotten who else - but it is truly a big deal) is at the Rhythmic Arts Festival in San Diego. A number of LA dancers are headed down there. If you do go to SD for New Years, please ask me for a dance!

18. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Hmm... my flight is out on the 28th (Tues), so I am up for dancing Monday night if there are any daring individuals. PM me.

Of course, I'm still available for Sunday night. And WCS or lindy or salsa... whatever. :) I suppose I can try to follow... give me a challenge right? :)

I'm definitely American (Asian ethnicity). I hang around a few Lithuanians though. :)

Already met up with my former dance partner, but we saw a movie instead of dancing tonight. Oh well. Time for dinner now.

19. LindyLuv

LindyLuv New Member

I wish I could go! This was my original plan - but, unfortunately, I have no way of getting from LA to San Diego :cry:

:?: So, I checked out swing dancing at nocturne.com.... appears that there is quite a bit of stuff happening on New Year's Eve. There is a swing gala at Atomic Ballroom listed - is anyone going to this or is it something that one might suggest going to? Also (just wandering!), does anyone know if this is going to be WCS or lindy or east coast?

Thanks so much to all for your help --- and a merry merry Christmas!

20. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

jerry jordan (who developed the lindy syllabus for arthur murray btw) in a short amount of time has made atomic one of the more popular lindy venues on friday night. a lot of the people who go to lindygroove also go to atomic ballroom (despite it being a 1.5 hour drive from pasadena during rush hour). i would rather do ballroom closer to pasadena myself.