Swing Discussion Boards > Dancing in LA over New Years

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by LindyLuv, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tacad

tacad New Member

Ok etchuck. Renee is free tonight and we are definitely going to Long Beach. Ballroom dancing. Dance is from 7 till 10. We'd pick you up around 6:45 more or less. Would you like a ride to Long Beach? I'll give you a call around 10am or later to confirm it.

2. etchuck

etchuck New Member

:banana: :car:

3. Doug

Doug New Member

So if you want to blow off that silly family stuff :wink: and go down to SD on Thursday afternoon and return to LA late Sunday night, I can probably help you get a ride. :D

4. etchuck

etchuck New Member

5. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

6. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: :lol: That is one scary picture! I don't know who that is.

EDIT: :evil:

:lol:

7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i thought about showing just for the ^%$#! of it, but i took a nap in the afternoon and awoke still feeling kinda groggy & not up to driving down to long beach. hope you had fun.

8. tacad

tacad New Member

We had a good time. etchuck is a capital guy. And now he has extra time on his hands!

9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

r u up early or late?

going to bed myself.

10. tacad

tacad New Member

11. tacad

tacad New Member

Up late. Vacation hits and I can't seem to go to bed. Yeah, I'm hitting the sack now as well.

12. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I think for the second picture, the flash went off (which it's supposed to), but objects closer to the flash got more light reflected than the back. I can photoshop it later...

Anyway, I'm awake (thank you time lag), and I'm fairly sure this is an ankle sprain. I'll get family to buy me an ACE bandage to secure the ankle, and/or get it checked out by a doctor. Maybe get crutches as I'm still not really good at putting weight on it (why I think it's a sprain rather than a simple twist).

I guess that means I should get a bit more help traveling back home... and I guess I'll have to switch a few things around in terms of plans to go anywhere for New Year's. Oh well...

13. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Good morning, gentlemen:

This is just awful. I am so sorry, etchuk. First, you are kidnapped by these mysterious fiends from the internet, and then they cripple and maim you for life. I'm surprised they didn't take your wallet, too. So much for making people feel welcome in Los Angeles! I think I must be some sort of dance jinx. A couple days after I met tacad, he injured his right toe and couldn't dance for a week. Help!! Somebody call an exorcist!!!

I feel some sort of ethical obligation to come over and hover and flutter like a mother hen or something, but I guess you're already doing what needs to be done, icing your foot and wrapping it up in an ACE bandage. I can recommend "Barfly," "Best Laid Plans," (This is an incredible thriller, but the opening 1/2 hour can be really difficult to watch. All I can say is, MAKE yourself keep watching, no matter how harsh it gets, keep watching. It gets REALLY good. But you have to keep watching through that first half hour or so.) "Sullivan's Travels" for comedy, "The Italian Job" (Michael Caine version), "The African Queen," (always worth seeing again) "True Grit" and "The Shootist," "Beavis and Butthead Do America," and "Say Anything" and "Almost Famous." This should get you through the first day. I've tried to avoid any dance movies, as these will only rub salt in the wound. I'll give you some more recommendations tomorrow. tsb, this is all your fault. You should have come, too.

Renee

14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

if i hadn't already first met you at felix chavez's AT class a few years back i might be worried.

haven't been to the dance zone in a couple of months, i think, but i used to go about once a month for a while - whenever there wasn't a PBDA dance or michael kuka's dance.

i did consider it. i was napping in the afternoon (for some reason i've been waking up early & not been able to go back to sleep) & when i woke up around 6:30pm last night i just wasn't up to driving down to long beach as i've this cold for about a week & a half now.

15. etchuck

etchuck New Member

No RJ, you're not a dance jinx. I know dance jinxes (talked about the VW jinx upon my friend already). :)

Well, my brother doesn't have an ACE bandage, but he does have a cold compress that I will more than likely use. I am still going to go to see an Urgent Care center just to be sure nothing else has to be taken into consideration... especially since I'm going to fly back home tomorrow night, I'm going to need as much as the doctor prescribes. (I'm not going to want to stand in a security line if the doctor tells me not to.)

16. tacad

tacad New Member

Oooh. Sorry etchuck! I guess I should have warned you about those wild LA ballroom dancers. I hope it's not too bad.

17. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Dear Etchuk:

Thank you for your kind words. I'm sure your foot will feel better in a few days. I hope your trip back goes okay. Based on my experience with plane travel while I was pregnant, I would suggest that you get up periodically during the flight and stretch your legs and rotate your ankle as much as you can while sitting. Sitting for long periods of time like that, combined with the pressurized cabin, for some reason can really make your feet and ankles swell and retain fluid, even when you are not injured, so take precautions.

tsb -- I have obviously have met you before if you have been to Felix's classes and to Gene's Dance Zone on Friday's, but I cannot connect your internet persona with a name or face. You'll have to introduce yourself next time you see me.

Renee

18. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I went to the urgent care center who sent me off to the emergency room (why, I don't know). So I have a fiberglass cast to immobilize my ankle for the next few days until my doctor can see it Wednesday afternoon (noting I get in Wed morning). I have crutches to be sure I don't put weight on the ankle because it is still very sore if I did. Basically put, I'll have enough fun at the airport. I did get a ride from the airport back home, and eventually a ride to my doctor's. Then we'll see after that.

But nothing is broken, but there is enough there that I don't want to mess it up more than necessary.

19. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i think you should leave it. i can use it as an visual image example of some of follows i have to deal with in LA. you know, the old bill cosby routine: "... fire shot out of her eye sockets and burned my stomach!"

x-rays aren't always able to discern ligament damage. you might want to try taking an ice cube and icing the afflicted area. if the ice does work as a local anesthetic then you've got a confirmation on the diagnosis. however, if pain persists, it's more likely that you sustained some sort of ligament damage. (you should also work the ankle through its full range of motion while it's numb so as to keep it from stiffening & facilitating a quicker recovery.)

i regret not taking advantage of the opportunity to meet, as i sincerely doubt i'll be going to "naut cowlina" (as my friends from thr bronx would call it) anytime soon. have a safe trip back.

20. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Thanks... I'll be back at some point. :) My next cross-country trip is to San Diego in March. Then it's back to Westwood in June.

The doctor confirmed that nothing was broken, but I am still having issues putting my normal weight on my foot, so I got a splint anyway. Besides, I don't really look forward to being on my feet going through security lines at the airport if I don't know ahead of time that I didn't mess up my ankle that much.