Swing Discussion Boards > Dancing in LA over New Years

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by LindyLuv, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tacad

tacad New Member

I was refering to the one that is all dark. We took the picture to show etchuck's foot but it's hard to see.

2. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Resting comfortably?

This picture shows me and the splint the ER doctors and nurses put on me. Believe me, it's really not that bad, but I have to protect myself when I'm at the airport.

3. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the rusty pelican is closed for dancing next monday. fortunately it's only a 10 minute drive for me so finding out it was also closed tonight wasn't so irritating.

4. tacad

tacad New Member

Hey Barry, do you know any secret places to dance ballroom tomorrow (Tue) night? I looked in Dance Buddies but nothing was listed. Also do you know anything about Vivo Dance Center in hacienda heights? I got the reference from ballroomdancers.com. I almost checked it out but I decided to take it easy tonight.

EDIT: Ballroomdancers.com has these listed:

The Granada (Let's dance LA, right?), The Star Ballroom (Predominantly Asian, right? Will anyone dance with me there?), Vivo Dance Center again, EZ Dance Company in Anaheim.(their website says they have taken the lead in the philipino community but to other ethnicities as well. Will they dance with me?) I remember once you said that at some philipino place they would not dance with me.

5. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the only dance i can think of is something i'm pretty sure is a senior dance in covina at the women's club.

yeah. but i thought they were open on wednesday nights - live band "two's company" mainly cha-cha & WCS when i went there.

tuesday is salsa class & practice.

actually, predominantly chinese & international style. i've never been there except to buy shoes.

a friend of mine (robert - filipino guy with the ponytail - you may have met him at the DB xmas party at the moose) takes latin out there. says there are a lot of short chinese ladies looking for partners there. again pretty much all international style. personally never been there.

if they're anything like the lj ballroom dance center (pretty much flip/pinoy there) in glendora, no. they'd probably dance with me since i often get mistaken for flip/pinoy - enough so that they often address me in tagalog.

6. tacad

tacad New Member

Ok, thanks!

7. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

if i can get lynn to go i might go to LDLA wed. night.

8. tacad

tacad New Member

Wed I'll be at the Glendale Moose.

9. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Dear etchuk:

I'm glad nothing was broken, but I still can't escape the feeling that you are being a "southern gent" about everything and refusing to be honest about how bad your injury really is. I still feel awful, like I didn't do enough to protect you as a guest in in LA, but then it happened during a mixer, which is, I guess, kind of like pot luck at a church social. Maybe I should stop by the Psychic Eye Book Store tonight and get some incense and paraphenalia and work a magic ritual for healing.

I'll look forward to seeing you again in June (you indicated a trip to Westwood, which I assume means UCLA?). I promise I will be so watchful and solicitous of your welfare you will be screaming, like the Monty Python gag, "YOU'RE FUSSING ME TOO MUCH!"

Renee

Ehem, tacad, tsb: There's tango class and dancing at the AURA nightclub in Studio City tonight if you're getting desperate for dancing. 7:30

10. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Thanks... of course I could refuse to face reality and could have kept dancing. At any rate, I've been around when someone actually berated someone else for blocking his/her line of dance and wouldn't really give a darn if a collision occurred. I'm not like that.

Besides, there's not one can do in a mixer social like that. I mentioned online before a friend of mine got punched in the face during a swing social. I'm glad that didn't happen to me (you would have seen me be extremely upset that my friend got decked like that). The folks at that studio seemed to be fairly sociable and not stuck-up cutthroat.

Heh... just imagine how my family would react if I say I'm going dancing the next time I'm in California. :)

11. tacad

tacad New Member

Dancing with people from ...the internet!

:lol:

12. blue

blue New Member

How I envy you guys! The lindy scene here (the only swing scene we have, really) is like dead during these holidays. I feel the withdrawal symptoms drawing near.

13. LindyLuv

LindyLuv New Member

Hey - I'm coming out to LindyGroove tonight!
    Wahooooooooo :D :D
    Hope to see some of you guys there~

14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i plan on being there. during breaks i tend to stand near the door - & tonight i'll be wearing a black 'stanford dance' t-shirt

EDIT: and with the impending bowl game in pasadena - my michigan marching band jacket (laughingly referred to as my billboard) resplendent with 4 bowl patches, 2 rose parade patches, a super bowl patch and various other patches.

15. tacad

tacad New Member

Well tsb, did you ever see her? You know, I always have some very bizarre dances there at Lindy Groove. There are always 2 or 3 women that are very experienced lindy hoppers, but it is like we are wrestling the entire dance. The problem is that I am not good enough to adjust to their advanced styling, so I doggedly do the basics and I try to make my lead as clear as possible. So now at least we get the job done(and it is work), but I don't think either one of us enjoys it. Oh well, most of the dancers were not only good, but somehow they still managed to do plenty of styling and it was an enjoyable dance besides. Most dances were not wrestling matches.

16. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

not that i know of. i spent a good portion of talking with some people i hadn't seen in over 10 years & then i left after dancing with sandy (tall blonde in the red top - geez - she's the same age as my niece!) for her b-day dance, then came home & gorged on a huge bowl of homemade guacamole.

while there are some very good dancers there, there are a lot of followers who have been "regulars" for a while yet simply refuse to:
    move past your body despite your best efforts to lead a whip, or lean into your hand during the whip and in the worst cases - backlead their own tempo.

as i said before, there are quite a few followers there who dance the same tempo regardless of the song. while i've learned to avoid them, they still get asked to dance by the "spankies" because they're fairly cute.
    (a spanky is a guy who shows for purposes other than dancing - usually prowling)

17. tacad

tacad New Member

That's bizarre! I've experienced this not moving past your body more than once. Why would they refuse to do this? I mean my whip is not great but it is ok at medium and slower tempos.

:lol: Spankies! :lol:

18. LindyLuv

LindyLuv New Member

I had a great time at LindyGroove last night - wow, what a huge crowd. I'm not that used to going to non-weekend dances with that many people! :p
    tsb - not sure if I saw you (or danced with you for that matter!) Oh well :(

19. tacad

tacad New Member

Great! I was there too. Glad you had a good time!

20. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i suspect that the primary reason is as follows: a lot of people who dance (particularly swing & salsa) have never had instruction beyond whatever is offered at the venues they patronize (or in the follow's cases, what the spankies teach them in the process of hitting on them - which usually means trying to impress them with fancy moves bypassing basic fundamentals) and generally venue instruction is geared towards getting folks onto a floor & enjoying themselves without much regard towards making them fun to dance with.

note: the lesson at LG is actually decent for a venue lesson, but even there they're instuctors trying to get people to take paid instruction from them.

if you're into trying to educate them, do a reverse whip; make it feel like an underarm pass - and when they pass you and are turned and still moving away step across and use their momentum to complete the whip. a lot of them will look amazed and if they ask, tell them "THAT's what a whip should feel like".

there tend to be quite a few at LG. if i come stag & there's fresh meat (so to speak) i tend to let them all try and mark their territory, then get in a dance near the end & let them discern for themselves what makes a good partner & what dancing can feel like. more often or not i end up walking them to their car at the end of the evening. it may seem kinda spankie-ish on my part but my overall motive is that they not get scared off and never come back - for those genuuinely interested in dancing (& not spankettes - i've encountered a few of them, actually)...