Swing Discussion Boards > Dancing in LA over New Years

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by LindyLuv, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i didn't dance very much as my ankle was bothering me so i only danced with a few people that i already knew. had i had a way to identify you, i would have tried to find you. but with the number of decent dancers (who tend to dance closer to the stage) i', sure you got your fix in.

LG is generally that crowded every week.

i think i forgot to mention that the derby (in hollywood) will be open on sunday night. i forget who's playing but roscoe (with the shaved head) is in charge of that dance side & dj's during the band breaks. the derby used to be THE place to go for swing but dancers don't drink so now sunday is the only regular night for swing there nowadays.

2. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: Very amusing. Do you mean the spankies scare them off?

Good idea. Since I'm not a solid lindy hopper I will probably do that move without the comment. I don't think it would be well received :wink: .

3. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

it's mainly the first timers who show up on their own. i've observed that certain types of guys pretty much prey on them. (i suppose i might even dedicate a portion of my PhD thesis to that.)

there's an older guy who basically looks like a gnome who frequents the derby more often than LG. i've observed him pick on certain types of beginners - foreign born asian women in particular - and dance with them putting them in pretty uncomfortable holds & putting his hands in places where they wouldn't go with any experienced dancer. in general newcomers don't know what to expect & asian cultures in particular tend to be repressive when it comes to women & how they're treated - standing up for oneself is not a natural behavior. plus they don't know that dancing 5-6 dances in a row is also boorish behavior. i've never seen any one of those women return to that venue. and that's bad for dance - from a purely selfish standpoint the person who left may have otherwise become a terrific dancer that i wold have enjoyed dancing with for the next 20 years...

:D

the point is that a lot of social followers don't realize that we leaders need them to hold up their end of the equation to make a lot of moves work.
    last night i was trying to do pivot turns with a new partner prospect (we parted as of today as a matter of fact) and she just wouldn't or couldn't give me the counterbalance i needed & i had to fight not to pull her off balance yet complete the turn in time.