Swing Discussion Boards > Dancing in sneakers

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by toothlesstiger, Dec 26, 2012.

1. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

This was a fun thread. Thanks

2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I've also noticed TOM's have become very popular in the wsc community. I assume because they aren't rubber soled so they allow for turns without twisting your knee, and are flat so your heals don't hurt by the end of the night.

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I often teach in sneakers if I am teaching a couple or a single beginner. I have Danskins, one that I think are made for walking that I use for every day wear, and their soles are not like dance sneakers by any means but are smoother/slicker than traditional tennis shoes. I have a second pair that I assume were made for zumba--they're flatter and have a slick sole. In fact, they're really too slick for a ballroom floor, so I'm judicious in when I wear them.

Years ago I was having trouble with plantar fatiitis, and I wore tennies all the time, even social dancing. Now I prefer dance shoes for social dancing.

4. Steven123

Steven123 Member

I prefer sneakers for salsa and swing. For some reason I feel a lot more calm wearing them, and I feel like I don't have to do a bunch of crazy stuff if I am just a normal person wearing sneakers. If I am going to be doing some smooth stuff, I normally put on my dance shoes.

5. I wore sneakers when I first started dancing, but then I tried wearing my old marching band shoes from high school, and those ended up working much better. Now, whenever I dance in my regular tennis shoes, I can hardly move around on the dance floor.

I think it has less to do with the material of the sole and more to do with the treads. As far as I know, my "dance" (marching) shoes do have rubber soles, but the treads are very shallow and almost nonexistent.