Salsa > dancing in the land of platonic friendship.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by thespina13, Jul 21, 2006.

1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

oh come on, you are being soo serious :p i was j/k.

2. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL.. sorry. For a minute there it started to seem like teeth were coming out. I always get too serious. One of the downsides of being perenially sexually-charged.

3. africana

africana New Member

:lol: that was funny :) who wants to buy my plane ticket? hehe

4. englezul

englezul New Member

This push of the topic towards the children is [i don't even know how to qualitfy it: DOES NOT APPLY perhaps] as that is a completely different set of circumstances than those in an adult environment implied in the topic.

I'm sure the_spina13 wasn't complaining about lack of sexual tension in an environment dominated by children dancers, or lack of sexual tension between her and her child parteners, or anything of that nature.

And nobody was claiming that you need to sexualize children when you teach them salsa, that's ridiculous, we're talking about authentic interactions not theatrics.

5. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I appreciate the redirection englezul. That's what I was trying to get at in my most recent lengthy post in this topic.

6. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I am not a native speaker myself... bet lost, dear! :)

7. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Wow... nice discussion, until it got hijacked.

@africana: no, I do not get my "kicks" out of Salsa dancing. I have sex for that. :)

I have a brother. A bit younger (1 and a half years). I do remember how we used to "explore" things sexual in childhood. And it was normal. We saw two people kissing in the park - we wanted to try. Why not? Children are good imitators. And they lack the inhibitions imposed to adults. :)

Anyway, quixotedlm said it better in his posts than I could have. :)

I fully agree with you quixotedlm. :)

8. Legato Bluesummers

Legato Bluesummers New Member

Some of the posts in this thread are making my my temperature rise...and making my pants fit tunny.

9. africana

africana New Member

hah!! :lol: you need to go to a salsa club right away to take care of your problem legato :lol:

That was a redirection? :rolleyes: thought it was obvious that the deviation aimed at proving that sexual intent/thought/whatever is not a necessity to dance salsa. But I guess not, because people are seeking to support whatever agenda they have (like the little men who are frustrated with the fact that they never get to touch women outside of salsa and wish for more action heh)

yeah the words "pearl" and "swine" come to mind...

10. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Sexual intent or whatever is not A NECESSITY, but it DOES happen and it is neither intentional nor demeaning at times...

And "swine" is not a nice word. Back in the times when I was a moderator on this site, there were rules of conduct. Do they no longer apply? :)

Oh, I get it! You're referring to the movie that had as a main character a representative of the species... :)

11. Sabor

Sabor New Member

hmm..

if there is sexuality (well expressed not cheap) is part of the flavor in your salsa .. high five! .. to me.. its not quite 'salsa' without it.. but a decent attempt at it .. to each their own eh..

if the sexuality aspect is not there.. hey.. u could be doing the macarena for all i care.. no offense intended

12. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

thespina's agenda sounds like much more FUN than the rest of them.

13. africana

africana New Member

now I can't argue with that :) same thing I've been saying in other forms so far
    why was that so hard to admit? (don't answer, I know why ;0 )
    You guys were trying to make sexual interaction seem like a prerequisite for good dancing, like it MUST be sought out and cultivated to have high quality salsa, which is not the case (at least the 3/4 people trying thus far have not succeeded in proving it :rolleyes: )

getting warmer heh...no not really <sigh>

14. englezul

englezul New Member

This was never the theme in this topic. Re-read it please. All it was the personal experiences of multiple adults affirming that salsa is much more satisfying for them (myslef included) when there is some sexual tension, some male - female courting interaction in it, some playfulness associated with the two gendres interacting. There might be a slight difference between the connotation each attributes to "sexual tension", but most of us have made it clear it's not about sex, the desire to have sex with our partener, or ANYTHING of that nature.

You're supporting your belief by bringing in random arguments and situations that DO NOT APPLY in the context we're having this discussion in. Not only in a real debate you'd be shut off for trying to hard, but people would really underestimate your abilities to reason when it becomes clear that you don't understand what the fuss is all about. It isn't about wanting to sexualize children to dance salsa (children are not adults, they are incomplete, not fully developed individuals of the human species until adulthood - they do not have all the complex psychology of an adult being), It isn't about trying to grope some woman to satisfy some sexual needs(who mentioned this in this topic???? it was you) it's about interaction, and subcommunication through body language, it's about energy rooted in the difference of gendres. There's an entire psychology behind this and you obviously do not know it. And if you really wanted to understand it you'd make an effort to read the posts, and figure out what they mean before you launch another one of your replies that end in labelling, or some other condescending kind of crap as if anyone needs to get your approval for having proved something when you're not even managing to bring valid arguments to the table.

15. africana

africana New Member

dood you work on those reading/comprehension skills. I'm pretty ok at giving the benefit of doubt but it's too good for present company. Any real labelling here comes from you (re "Mild chauvinist" did you actually need a dictionary for that?)

like I said "pearls" and "swine", please feel condenscended to, I mean that

--waste of time--

1 person likes this.
  16. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

The only appropriate response is to trample all over Africana's feet next time you dance? ;-)

17. englezul

englezul New Member

Hmm..i think she disagrees with me. :confused:

With astronaut lead soled boots. Heck, replace that with osmium. :cool:

18. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

In regards to the redirection, yeah. we were trying to get off the topic of children. You brought up kids in the first place to illustrate that sexual tension is not needed in a great salsa. Child dancers was the example. The whole "sexualization" thing was partly to illustrate that unless we want to be sick, kids don't need to be sexy in order to pull off an amazing dance.

I'm not offended by africana's conservative approach to sexuality. It's obvious no-one's offended by my desire to find it. There are several people arguing mighty vehemently, and things are quickly getting off-topic. No one is swine, no one is superior.

As for the perception that sexual tension is a pre-req for any satisfying salsa dance: it is, for some. For others, it's not. africana, it could very well be an indication of my beginner-status that I depend on sexual tension in a dance in order to feel totally satisfied. And to the others, africana shouldn't have to defend her valid feelings that there is a lot about salsa, minus all this sex stuff, that keeps her occupied and happy. Like she said, to each their own. I'm glad I have some people who understood where I was coming from, though. And I'm also grateful that africana brought up some points I need to think about; namely, my versatility.

I would be very appreciative if we didn't insult each others' languages, intelligence or motivations for dancing anymore. Even though these comments are punctuated with cute little smiley faces, we're descending into a place where no-one can take one another seriously. Let's build each other up instead of this ridiculous bickering over nothing. Yeah, maybe I'm taking it too seriously. But that's me. No apologies.

19. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I agree with thespina. To be honest, I was fluxxomed a bit by africana's use of certain words that were too open to interpretation (eg - sexualized, and whatever she might say, it is not a well defined word that lends itself well in a debate where unambiguous articulation is essential). But that's just meta-discussion. She didn't say anything that was offensive either. So what if two poeple have different opinions? I'll still dance with both of them :D

20. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

lol you mean flummoxed? :p :p i think we should start a "big words" thread. ;)