Dance Articles > Dancing Makes You Smarter

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by jrkirby, May 16, 2011.

1. jrkirby

jrkirby New Member

http://socialdance.stanford.edu/syllabi/smarter.htm

Apparently, Stanford made a study that dancing frequently (when you're older) reduces the risk of dementia. While the title is a little misleading (as in less dementia does not necessarily mean smarter), it's actually a pretty cool article.

Most interesting was "In social dancing, the follow role automatically gains a benefit, by making hundreds of split-second decisions as to what to do next."
    Apparently, following their lead really is better for you.

Thoughts?

2. Yes, this article was perpetually printed out and sitting at the coffee table at the franchise studio I used to dance at. Basically, dance could ostensibly be considered a combination of playing music and physical exercise; playing music is also an activity that is believed to help reduce the risk of dementia and Alzheimer's.

3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Read somewhere that the social part is very important - people who did challenging crossword puzzles (typically alone) did not do as well cognitively as dancers.

4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Welcome to Dance Forums, jrkirby! And, yes, I have heard about dancing and its possible help in reducing that risk. A very nice side benefit to something that overflows with many other benefits...

5. Cedrick

Cedrick New Member

Hi jrkirby,
    I know lot of people who besides exercise do yoga and dance to stay slim and active.
    Dementia prevention info was new for me. Thanks for sharing this article.