Salsa > Dancing Salsa as a Man Consumed by Passion

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by tacad, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Alias

Alias Member

tacad makes a good point in this experimentation, because one great thing about partner dancing is also the opportunity to explore experiment and discover new things.

2. brujo

brujo New Member

Oh, I get it, you were LEADING... :wink:

I always assumed that there is the physical aspect of leading and then there is an entirely different part where you are just using your eye contact and body language to set the tone of dance - the difference between a physical and an emotional connection.

3. brujo

brujo New Member

I completely agree with you. Dancing is one of those few ocassions where I can completely take off the mask given to me by my job, my society and other people's expectations and just play like a little kid.

Ever noticed when little kids play adults, and all the sudden the spontaneity of their faces, the laughter goes away and they put on their serious 'I have to go to work now' face?

4. africana

africana New Member

Bwhaahaaa!! whichever one I'm passionate enough to pinch :bkick: :lol:

5. tacad

tacad New Member

Are you saying that the salsero leading the emotional connection is usual in salsa? I've never really done that in ballroom. In fact, with the exception of foxtrot I usually have let the woman set the emotional tone. I decided to change Sunday partly as a result of some recent threads and also because
    my date Sunday seemed to think that most of the passion came from the leader. (If I understood her.) That and I decided to do what I needed to do to get dances (like make sure she's enjoying herself, not getting hurt, giving a smooth, sure lead. :lol: ). Hey, we do what we have to do!.

6. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: 8)

7. gte692h

gte692h Member

yea, this is a very good perspective. i never consciously thought of this, or even thought of 'leading' in a dance. But setting the tone, and maintaining it is a tough thing - this mental aspect seems more intruguing and challenging than the obvious physical one.
    one would have to be 'switched on' and be a lot more aware if they're leading at an emotional/mental level.

gte

8. tacad

tacad New Member

I'm not sure the guy should or should not be leading the emotional connection. I don't really see anything wrong if the woman wants to do this. The guy leading it is a new concept for me and I did it because I wanted to have more emotionally connected dances. I'd rather take the emotional lead then be staring into space with both of us bored. But I'm not going to insist on it.

9. brujo

brujo New Member

I don't find it to be a rule set in stone. I find that with people that I don't know, if I innitiate the eye contact and emotional connection, I get better dances and they warm out faster. If none of you innitiate, you'll end up with a stalemate where you go through all the moves like little robots.

10. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

tacad, I can relate to all what you have written. Especially after last night (I quote myself from another thread)
    This way of us dancing together is a kind of game/drama we have evolved in time. But the main reason why it works so good is that he makes me feel I'm special. And he respects my boundaries.

I don't think he dance "this" way with everyone....although I know he is popular. Or ....I don't think the other girls respond in the way I do. Or whatever is happening :roll: But I know for sure that if I found out that he is duplicating this way of dancing when dancing with other girls....it would work as an instant-turn-off.

It is like the man-hunting-woman-for-sex-scenario. Everyone wants to be desired and appreciated. But at the moment a girl understand that ANY GIRL can do this night....she will reject the guy. Nobody wants to be anybody. Everyone wants to feel special & unique. And if you (tacad) can go one making all these girls feeling special....it will work. But you may also get a bad reputation.....But knowing you as a very sensitive and intelligent man ...I don't think it will happen. :D

I wish I had a chance to dance with you....

/luc

11. tacad

tacad New Member

Sounds reasonable. 8)

12. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Did you get that from the "Tao of Steve"?:wink: Sounds to me like the male birds doing a mating dance that I saw on the Discovery channel. Is that where we, Homo sapiens learned how to dance from? Darwin's "survival of the fittest" going on on the dance floor? :roll:

13. kdogg

kdogg New Member

We romanticize and emphasize the feeling of oneness/connectedness with our dance partners. What about the music--no music, no dance; what role does it play in creating that oneness? With some music the passion naturally erupts deep within me and pours it out in my dance; if the music has the same effect on my partner, we've the best dance. With some it doesn't have the same influence on me. I think the music really sets the mood. The fruit of passion ripens when the conditions are right.

14. tacad

tacad New Member

Hmmm. How would I get a bad reputation?

I did wonder about this a couple of weeks ago. I had a dance that had a more raw, sexual feel to it and I wondered if other women would think that I was just being lustful and would decide I was just a "playa". That I was only dancing for my own physical desires. I didn't really notice that anyone had a problem though. Still, I was a bit concerned.

The funny thing is that I wasn't even all that attracted to that woman. I wouldn't have asked her out. I wouldn't have hit on her. But somehow on the dance floor it was all different and it was the natural way for the two of us to dance. I hope salsa dancers understand the difference.

Me too. :) And thanks for the warning!

15. tacad

tacad New Member

Agreed. By the way, don't you spell it jalapeno?

16. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Sorry, me no hablar Espanol...you see. I no speak Spanish :wink: . Thanks.

17. gte692h

gte692h Member

being lustful, or dancing for your own physical desires is not a crime, IMO. those are aspects of the human experience. if you feel that this mode of dancing, and expressing yourself on the floor represent you, then don't hold back. But i'm sure you can figure out a way to do this without being disrespectful to the woman, or making her uncomfortable, or forcing her to do something against her will. maybe you'll make mistakes along the way, but it comes with discovering your own style.

and also, the 'other women' you're worried about don't know you. they might call you a 'playa' or other words. but do you know them personally ? are they people whose opinions you value or respect ? you could 'suppress yourself' so that they have a better impression of you. But that might create havoc with your impression of yourself.

ok, i think i've beaten this thread to death - i keep saying the same things over and over. ;) goodbye!

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've danced without any music. :wink: :lol:

19. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: You're welcome.

20. tacad

tacad New Member

Hmmm. That's a brainful of a new idea for me. I'm not sure what to think about that. No, it at least is not worthy of being called a crime, especially with the conditions you stated. Some how I don't think I'll be running back to DF with the results of that experiment. :lol:

"Be yourself!" Always true. Anything else backfires. I mean there's always a bit of modifying our behavior to be able to participate in any group setting, like we do on DF with our tone, but I think I'm fine on that score. If anything I worry too much about that. And ironically I'm likely to gain more than what I would lose.

:lol: I'm thinking that I'm thinking about this too much as well and I'd better stop before I think too much! :lol: But thanks gte692h!