Salsa > Dancing Salsa as a Man Consumed by Passion

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by tacad, Aug 15, 2005.

1. africana

africana New Member

Tacad, I wouldn't worry about the "playa" stuff, seems unlikely..
    But I posted something earlier about people who think they are "hot stuff" because their eyes haven't opened beyond themselves...anyhoo, at the risk of beating this further to death (nay, in order to beat this further to death ... :twisted: ), Yes other women's opinions do matter if they are physically there and see you dancing. It doesn't matter what they know about you personally (and I daresay the DF crowd has been privy to your many virtuous attributes, more so than any salsera in those clubs ;) ).
    But these women at the clubs are the ones who decide whether or not they like what they see, and will accept, decline or avoid invitations based on that...

tough, huh?

well, welcome to the world of social dancing where dancing with many partners of all levels and styles requires constantly learning and adapting to the circumstances. keep your mind and eyes open...

2. gte692h

gte692h Member

allow me to explain ;) if i don't dance a certain way out of the fear that those around me will judge it, or be critical, i have suppressed myself so that those around me get a better impression of myself. Inside, perhaps at a subconscious level, i feel a sense of surrender and betrayal. I might feel that i am not good enough, and i have to hide something so that some random strangers, can be happy. At some level, i have betrayed myself for no good reason, and my impression of myself drops. i get that sick, empty feeling in my stomach.

that's all i meant by 'impression of oneself', I never meant ' my dancing is better than the rest, i am hot stuff , and i don't need to learn anything or respect anyone.'

3. africana

africana New Member

got it :lol:

4. ash88

ash88 New Member

I totally agree. When you dance, don't look at the crowd, look at your partner. Shut out the rest of the world. Tacad, i think you have a strong tendency to think too much about these things.

For every mistake you make, you'll learn and get better. If your passion felt right with the followers and they seemed to enjoy it, you don't need to analyse it on any deeper level - just have fun.

As long as you aren't hurting anyone (and if they're smiling, you know they probably aint hurting) then keep doing what you're doing.

5. tacad

tacad New Member

Thanks ash88. I can overthink something. It's especially easy to do here at DF. :roll: To tell the truth, I don't think of anything except my partner on the dance floor.

It doesn't seem to be a problem. Nobody seems to mind and I was getting lots of dances tonight. Most seem to enjoy the dance. :)

They're smiling. And so am I. :wink:

6. tacad

tacad New Member

Thanks. That seems ok as well.
    I just have to trust myself and it should be ok. And be bold enough to be myself. Otherwise I'll get into the nonsense where people don't dance with certain people because if they look bad it will spoil their reputation and no one will ask them to dance. This is nuts. I wish I could have learned this earlier than at age 39. :? Oh well, we learn when we learn.

7. brujo

brujo New Member

The way it was explained to me - the music leads the man, the man leads the woman. And the musicians get inspired by the crowd, and hopefully the man by the woman. It is a vicious cycle of energy feeding on energy. Much harder when you get a DJ than a live band.

Probably doesn't apply to crappy knat songs like La Palabra's Lady.

8. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I have been thinking a bit of that "bad-reputation" and I have changed my mind. If you actualy was trying to hit on everyone of these girls you would get into trouble. But now you play the game together. The game of beeing lustful, desirable, sexy....and. You both know whats going ....probably... :?. But since I havn't seen you dance its hard to tell. Why don't you ask any one in your salsascene. This "problem" cannot be unique for you...there must be more people thinking about the same....

I think it is great that you are so analytic and sensitive about this problem. You seems to be a true gentleman.

/luc

9. africana

africana New Member

:lol: :lol:
    (brujo reminds me of a cranky but senile old man who says whatever the hell he wants, so entertaining)

10. brujo

brujo New Member

Get off my lawn! Back in the day, our claves only had three beats, we danced in burning coals shackled to our partners and had our eyes gouged out if we tried to make eye contact.... Damn Kids nowdays!

11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sometimes too much thinking gets in the way. Sometimes too little can also be a problem. Try and keep to the middle way is what me tells meself 24x7.

12. tacad

tacad New Member

Yeah, I agree.

13. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol:

14. africana

africana New Member

:lol: that's it

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

In Toronto? :shock:

16. Medira

Medira New Member

Yeah, no kidding! I didn't know there were places like that around here! Where have you been dancing Brujo? :shock:

17. africana

africana New Member

wow you guys are that literal? it's just a joke ;)

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Maybe they joking too?

19. Medira

Medira New Member

Hehehe, partially...

<- Works in Toronto and lives just outside of the city ;)

20. SalsaAmore

SalsaAmore New Member

Tacad, from the sound of it, I don't think you have anything to worry about crossing boundaries and worrying about all that other stuff. It's guys like you who have such a consciousness about keeping things clean that we don't feel offended when you add a little umph into your dancing by whatever methods you use to exude sexiness, passion and intensity, which sounds like what you did. Some guys I dance with have such an intensity in their eyes, which is part of their style, are very engaging and makes them that much more attractive when they dance with that same intensity. The way we come together while dancing is sheer delight and passion!!

Also, I don't think dancing passionately has to do with whether you are attracted to the other person or not. I have danced with men so passiontely on the dance floor because it's just fun dancing that way with them. But, off the dancefloor, I'm neither attracted to them nor could I see myself with them romantically in anyway. It's just dance, part of Salsa, imaginative and creative.

Furthermore, I don't believe the other person needs to induce or give anything to you in order for you to dance with fire. Passion is there when you want it. It's a matter of whether you are comfortable enough to tap into it internally and not allow the external distractions like the environment, the person or your thoughts interfere. Method acting or even portraying a character can help with external interference. You can exude passion and intensity even if the other isn't there emotionally or mentally to share it with you. Although it may not be as fun because you're dancing passionately and the other is just dancing technically or unemotionally. The passion can still be tapped. It's knowing how to tap into it and whether you want to be there at the moment.