Dance Articles > Dancing 'wards off dementia'

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Pass It On, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Pass It On

Pass It On New Member

Read the Full Story on BBC News

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Guess that's why I'm not demented - lol :lol:

I take it you are in GB? Was there in June 1987.

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Good news indeed!

It's so true, dancing has NUMEROUS benefits, and it's wonderful to see the list growing :D

4. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

About Alzheimer's,
    I just turned 80 and many of my acquaintances are long gone, but the ones that succumbed to Alzheimer's were lazy thinkers as kids. The brain is just another muscle; 'if you don't use it, you lose
    it'. I think it's that simple. My parents and grandparents reached a level past their eighties and all my sister, seven of them, never got Alzheimer's although some of them are in their nineties, none of them every lost their mental alertness. My father held political and historical discussions almost every night after supper. I think that ritual mentally stimulated all of his children.
    Alzheimer's doesn't have to do with intelligence; it's just being curious about life and constant learning that keeps you mentally healthy. It's not about IQ that counts, but how you use your brain. As a high school teacher, I saw students below a hundred IQ perform on a level with students with IQ's 120 and over. And these low IQ students were not language deprived, the low and high IQ's were all of the same ethnic socio group.
    There is this idea that old people benefit by being with younger people for whatever reasons; it works both ways. I feel that at 80, I'm helping the younger ones stay healthy and mentally alert by example and by sharing a wisdom that comes with old age. Only in America do I see a lack of value for retirees. In Oriental cultures they are venerated for the contributions they continue to make to their senor citizens. Europeans have that same value for older people. I say these things about older people not as my personal defense; I go dancing two or three nights a week, teach around six hour a week, and have no complaints about social activity. And I have to give credit to dancing for much of my social and emotional health. I often hear dancers admit that they owe their sanity to dancing. How I identify with that !
    Don't forget to vote YES for Magic Pill, Part II, 'The Procedural Method' for a more effective application of the Lanza Six Count Lindy, a teaching method.
    Black Sheep

5. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I wouldn't doubt it. I believe that anything that makes you extreamly happy enhances your life and possibly makes you live longer. Good article! :!: