General Dance Discussion > Dancing while pregnant

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Peaches, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

No. I'm not pregnant.

A friend of mine who dances with me announced yesterday that she's knocked up. Yay. Really, I'm happy for her, except it means the next 8 months are going to be filled with hearing all sorts of details that will require a lobotomy to expunge from my brain. (She's got NO censors on what she says. At all.)

So, she's really worried about dancing while being pregnant. Is it OK? Will it jostle the baby too much? Etc., etc., etc. This is her second kid, so you'd think she'd be more relaxed about it, except that she miscarried last year and so is rather nervous. She said something last night about how your core body temp isn't supposed to rise, and your heart rate has to stay low. Both make sense, to a point, but I KNOW women exercise and whatnot during pregnancy, which would seem to contradict it. I told her to ask her doctor, but she's not convinced that her dr. would know about the risks invovled with dancing.

Heh. She's been working on a swing showcase for June. Not any more! What with the dips and drops they had planned, our teacher is refusing to do that with her. And with good reason, since she'll be about 5 months then. They're thinking waltz, or rumba instead.

Anyway. So...any advice, words of caution, etc. for my knocked-up friend?

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

True story-- a very well known couple ( previously, I had coached the male of the partnership ) danced in the British, when she was 6 / 7 months preg.

of course ,, a doctors advice would always be advisable .

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

someone who has miscarried is likely to be scared no matter what...I have seen ladies competing in what must surely have been their third tri-mester...as a fitness instructor there are very few things that change for expecting ladies but we do limit things that require stress or pressure to the abdomen...it also depends upon whether her miscarriage was caused by a physiological issue or as in most b/c of a defect in fetal growth...perhaps she can show her physician some tapes of what she usually does...and get some clarifications...bottom line is that if she's worried, even needlessly, she probably shouldn't do it b/c if something goes wrong again it will be just one more thing for her to beat herself up with...but it is really important that if the cause of her miscarriage is incompetant cervix that she be very careful about her activity level...though I assume that if that was the cause she would know it by now...

4. Peaches

That's awesome. But still. You're talking about competitors in top physical condition. I'm talking about someone who does group classes and a private lesson once a week, and who goes social dancing every other week.

5. Peaches

I think she's actually pretty ok with the miscarriage, from what I can tell. She doesn't know the reason--it was entirely spontaneous, pretty early in the first trimester.

The tapes are a good idea. She feels like she's getting conflicting advice--her doctor is saying that temp & heart rate shouldn't rise, but her personal trainer is saying she can still be very active (and be pushed relatively hard) pretty late.

I know she desperately wants to keep dancing while she's pregnant, if at all possible. She struggles with depression, and the dancing makes a big difference to her with that. And, she's looking to stay active.

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that doesn't sound like much... i think fascination's counsel is excellent. i would add that her being fearful is probly more stressful on her condition than dancing could ever be...

7. fascination

temp and heart rate shouldn't rise how much for goodness sakes?....that just doesn't sound very helpful...I think she should seek some more advice if that was the extent of it

8. Peaches

Good point!

9. Peaches

That was kind of my reaction. But since I don't have kids, what do I know?

I mean, everything I read says that moderate, low impact exercise is good. Her trainer has very pregnant women working pretty hard, and worked pretty hard herself up until, like, 3 days before delivering. None of that seems compatible with core temp not rising.

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Enquiring minds would like to know, why you felt you had to open your post with those two sentences... ;) :lol:

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

are kidding? she had to... anyone who noticed both the thread name and who originated it would be opening it up with only one question at the forefront. :rolleyes:

12. Peaches

EXACTLY!!!

Besides, if you mouse over the thread title the first part will display in the flyover pop-up. Best to have that crucial information right there--so no questions come up.

13. fascination

not the women I saw

14. fascination

again, no pun intended, I think it's a matter of degree...for goodness sakes, we are wired to be able to handle things like that

15. fascination

probably the same kind of Dr who won't let you get up and walk around while in labor....

16. fascination

gotta say...I almost choked on my coffee when I first saw it

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it was a moment like " 2+2=5...? No way..."

18. fascination

nah...I just figured she'd caved in a weak moment...sort of like competing

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: Peaches, Samina and Fascination!

Me on the other hand, sometimes start threads that have NO bearing or relation on what is going on in my life - might just have the inspiration from a conversation, something happening/not happening with a friend or something that I saw on TV, the newspapers or heard on the radio. Often, my thread topics start from 'a musing', a thought.

So, I was giving Peaches the benefit of the doubt :D

('Tis like the thread I started a while back about juggling having a family/children, having a job AND dancing. ;))

20. Peaches

See??? This is what I mean. I had to put those two sentences right at the start!