General Dance Discussion > Dancing while pregnant

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Peaches, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Medira

Medira New Member

Well, her little one is three now and she loves "ballerina time!"...she also loves it when she gets to come to the ballroom studio with mommy and daddy.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

and a dancer is born... ;)

3. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

My sis is a marathon runner, and she's expecting. She stopped running, because she said it has become uncomfortable. But I was there when the doctor told her that she could run if it didn't bother her. And he had another patient who was also a runner who ran throughout her entire pregnancy.

I had a friend who did some social dancing while she was very pregnant. She said it all felt fine except for merengue, because her belly was swishing back and forth out of sync with the rest of her body, and it felt too weird.

There are definitely some things that pregnant women shouldn't do. I've heard for example that the twisting actions in yoga are bad for pregnant women, so I would think lots of twisting in dancing would be bad. But outside of some obvious no-no's that any doctor would go over with you, I imagine it's all a very personal thing.

4. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Just think... :roll: it was twisting actions that probably got the woman pregnant in the first place :? ;) :lol:

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes,...anything requiring twisting, pressure, crunching to the abds

7. noobster

noobster Member

Early spontaneous abortions do not raise the mother's risk for future miscarriage until she has had at least three of them. They are extremely common (maybe >30% of all pregnancies) and are usually due to genetic abnormalities in the fetus incompatible with survival.

I really doubt the degree of exertion involved in social dancing could be harmful to an otherwise low-risk pregnancy. Of course the dance floor can be a dangerous place for other reasons, and you wouldn't want to get an elbow in the stomach or anything like that. :eek:

8. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

The lifting and twisting felt ok for me. Of course I couldn't do as much as usual but my stomach didnt grow big either. I was fairly small until the ninth month

9. Keith

Keith New Member

The only issue my wife had with tango dancing when she was pregnant was that she made some of the men nervous. I think think they were afraid their shoes may get wet if her water broke. She was dancing at 9+ months. We were dancing on a Friday night and she delivered the following Monday morning.

-keith

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: I hope you are joking! :lol:

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good for her! :)

12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Good for her!

But...
    Eeew. Gack. Not funny. Ugh. *shudder* Eeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!!

(OK. So I'm really really squickish about pregnancy and babies and stuff. Ick.)

13. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

You aren't alone. Ick! to the entire pregnancy thing...

(looked for a barfing or shuddering smilie but found nothing...oh well. lol!)

14. Medira

Medira New Member

Hi Keith! Welcome to DF and thanks for sharing. :)

15. Peaches

Oh, finally, someone else!

Yeah, yeah...natural, normal, and most beautiful miracle of life. I just can't handle it. Makes me feel like I need to take a shower and scrub myself extra hard or something. *shudder* (Funny, spiders create the same reaction...)

I mean, great for other people. Really. But, wow, not for me.

And, have you ever noticed that babies smell? Eeew.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

heh... doesn't faze me at all... :cool:

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

keith, yes... welcome, absolutely! :D

18. Peaches

I should hope not, since you've had a couple!

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

true. i'm generally not squeamish about that stuff, anyway...

i used to get very strong braxton-hicks contractions when i was pregnant with both my kids... just walking across the street could trigger one & i'd have to stop. doing tango sounds like it would have triggered them like crazy!

20. Peaches

It's very strange. Usually I'm not squickish about stuff. Not at all, unless it involves creepy crawly things, or extremely loose teeth, apparently.

But anything involving the solo part of making a baby (as opposed to the fun, duet part), and I just cannot handle any of it.