General Dance Discussion > Dancing while pregnant

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Peaches, Mar 14, 2007.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it takes one face-to-face with some very powerful emotions & realities...

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I could imagine. It's the biological process of it that just...ick.

The next 8 months dealing with my friend is going to be...fun. With her last kid we weren't as close--thankfully, in a way--and I was still begging her to please just stop talking sometimes. We were always meeting for dinner, too.
    Then again, maybe we should meet for dinner and she can tell me all about it, and I'll be too ICK to eat. Weight loss plan!

What I found kind of interesting was our dance teacher. Usually he's pretty squickish about anything female or overly personal. He's quick to stop things with "too much information!" (We're all friends outside of the student-teacher relationship, hence the odd conversations.) But when my friend told him, after he got over the initial shock, he was perfectly comfortable with it and with her in a way I never would have expected. Very interesting. Not squeamish, not uncomfortable--quite the opposite. Granted, he's got 3 kids of his own, and 2 grand kids, so there you have it.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

having a baby completely changes your focus... it's natural for friendships to feel it, especially you don't have enuf other things in common.

then once the kids come... the collision of values can be a very interesting new dynamic between friends! i remember my eyes popping out in disbelief when a former friend of mine fed her baby velveeta & hot dogs...

4. Peaches

You ain't kiddin!

For better or for worse, she's not the type who can be entertained for hours with her kid. She tried the SAHM thing, and it was just too unhealthy for her. So, she and her husband make quite a point of going out with DH and I (and others). We've actually gotten closer.

Yeah, that food would have had me flipping out, too. I mean, kids have grown and thrived on all kinds of things, and worse and less things, too. But, yeah, that wouldn't set so well with me. (Like last night, DH and I were eating out and there was a young--late teens, early 20's? girl there with a little baby--IN THE SMOKING SECTION! DH and I were livid. I mean, I choose to endanger my life, but a child has no option. Oooooh! OK. Off soapbox now.)

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

... and adults don't? :? :lol:

I personally:

a) would rather take a baby's smell over an adult's, unless it is something the adult can't help - the baby is 'helpless' to prevent it whereas an adult...

b) love the smell of a freshly laundered, oops, I meant bathed ;), baby. In clean clothes, is to me, one of the best smells on earth. :banana:Sorry, but a loved one wearing D&G or Armani cologne goes into fourth place, with the baby taking first, second AND third place. :grins:

6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

like adults, baby's smell when we feed them the crap we've grown expected to feed them. fwiw, they do not smell when they are nursing exclusively.

an unadulterated baby smell is... heavenly...:cool:

7. Peaches

GACK!

8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: Peaches

What if I were to say that some babies, even smell of fruit, peaches to be precise? ;)

No, going to get my smelling tested isn't an option :lol:

9. Peaches

Normally I'd say I'll beleive it when I smell it. But I'm not sniffin' no baby.

10. Peaches

I might also say that I have to switch screen names now. And shower. I think i feel violated.

11. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Yes! Like sour milk...

I must be lacking a female gene or something, because when I see a pregnant woman I dont think it is beautiful or wonderful or anything like that. I think its gross....no one's stomach should have to distort like that. And nothing the size of a grapefruit should EVER have to squeeze itself out of...well, you know. Ugh!

No offense to the mommies out there...kudos to you for doing it, but it ain't for me!! And I've gotten past the point of thinking there is something wrong with me, so I just ignore people that tell me "Oh that will change" and "you dont know what you are talking about". Trust me, 33 years of watching pregnant people waddle around, births on tv (yep, they used to show it on tv when I was a child), screaming, angry, hateful children/teenagers who cant behave in public, horrible deaths told of on tv by crazy people who are obsessed with innocent little children, pregnant teenagers, etc....yep, my mind has been made up for a while now. The "joy" or whatever of having a kid is not worth all those other things to me. Luckily my mom prefers children to grandchildren and doesnt care. lol!

I will say that my mom swears it was worth it, but hey...they put her to sleep and she woke up with me in her arms! I have good friends who spent 14 hours in labor and have heard ALL the horror stories. Sure, later, after they have been stitched up from where they ripped certain things and everything is back to normal size they say it was worth it....but I never believe them. :)

Oh gee thanks, peaches, I think I need a shower now too.....ack!

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it's too bad that's become such a common perception. it's not natural (the sour-milk smell, i mean). not anymore natural than epideural's being de rigeur for childbirth... which of course many consider "natural".

dancing tango whilst pregnant seems like a much more natural paradigm to adopt. ;)

(BOT)

13. Peaches

My twin!!!

Kudos to others, but...no. Lessee, the two descriptions of giving birth I've heard...pot roast though a cheerio, and taking your bottom lip, and stretching it up and over your head. Neither sounds pleasant.

I've got the same reaction to pregnant women. Just...gross.

Yup, definitely lacking a gene. I like it this way.

14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

rotfl! :lol: Weeeellll, here's hoping that your friend won't try and get you to 'sniff' her baby when it arrives... :lol: (excuse me whilst I *duck* ;) :car: )

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I love my kids...I loved my epidurals...I am glad I am done...pregnancy was just a neccessary evil...and I wasn't beautiful either

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

uh...but...unless they were poopy...my babies smelled wonderful

17. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Definitely a weight loss plan for you. Because you will hear, from here on out, stories about the kid. Never anything else. Trust me, I know this from personal experience. Luckily I have a strong stomach and can eat while talking about anything....

18. Peaches

Ha! She knows better. I have held a baby exactly twice in my life--both times b/c said friend thought it was funny to stick her in my lap/arms and move away before I could give her back. She knew I wouldn't let the kid fall on the floor. Somewhere there are pics of each time.

19. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Maybe, that is why, in Victorian times (?) women would disappear for a few weeks/months and suddenly reappear with a 'smelling' - sweet smelling or otherwise bundle! ;) Whilst I am please that pregnant women are being given more fashionable stuff to wear rather than a 'sack', I sometimes do find it a bit much when the woman leaves her stomach bare!

Not wanting kids, I would say is a better option than being forced to have kids and resenting it. My view - I do believe life is about choices.

20. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

I will admit to holding a number of newborn babies...but only while sitting down and only until they start to cry(which usually is a very short time!). And they all smelled like that. Dont know why....

Now later, after they can crawl around and sit up and laugh...THEN some of them smell good like powder. But not good enough for me to want one of my own. :D

And I hate it that parents pounce on the fact that kids love me and leave them with me to entertain...family events always had the kids around me and me having to play with them. Fun for the first hour but then its like, take your kid back! I didn't have them and I didn't come to this event to babysit them for you while you sit at the table with the other adults and talk!

Um, yeah, so tangoing while pregnant.....sorry, BOT. lol!