Tango Argentino > Dancing with beginners in close embrace

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Kind of like ballet dancers.

2. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Dont you think it's good though for people to get their toes stepped on?

In open embrace you can always cheat by looking at your feet. In CE you cant. The leader has to project his movement forward and the follower has to be prepared to really step out backwards. I think getting this right at the start is crucial. Because some people dont, and then they never really get it right later on.

3. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

I was a blues dancer and it was still a big deal. The tango embrace is much more intrusive, intense and personal than the play-sexy camp stuff people do in blues.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

intense possibly but intrusive, I would hope not; if the follower is not comfortable( on an emotional/psychological level) in a close embrace with me what possibility is there of a nice dance?

5. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

It's a prolonged cheek to cheek, chest to chest close contact. We do not normally have that kind of physical closeness with anyone except our own children or lovers. But tango demands that level of contact, often with complete strangers. How can it seem anything other than intrusive until we learn to adjust and desensitise ourselves to it?

As with the pseudosexual contact of blues dancing we toughen ourelves up so that what might otherwise be a heightened sensual/psychological experience is utterly mundane and workaday. The opposite of what the Victorians did, in fact - their repression and prudery meant that the smallest physical contact or exposure could be invested with powerful meaning.

6. Mario7

Mario7 Member

This all reads very true to me. In fact, I have not yet 'desensitised' myself sufficiently and I sometimes worry that I will be 'found out'..:(:roll:
    '

7. bordertangoman

I'm obviously dancing with a different crowd..but I know what you mean
    but usually I'm trying to dance with the thumping thing inside the ribcage rather than the lumps outside it.

8. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

A chronicle of my (first time) reactions to this predicament---> Click here!

9. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

!

Roflol! Don't even make me think about CE where another set of boobs are involved!

10. bordertangoman

I recall one lady in Cambridge whose boobs were always rather hot, literally. Made me wonder.........

11. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

OK, now I'm thinking about it... ;)

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Suspended

Had no real dance experience before I started TA. And in my second tango week at all (I am an autodidact and learned in milongas first) a huge woman stood up and told me that since I had done my first tango steps I should dance in close hold from now on. She picked me up and I felt almost paralyzed, my nose suspended somewhere between her boobs and my legs dangling somewhere in the nirvana, not to be about to do any step at all... When I was put down on earth I realy felt relieved. Dancing with beginners today I actually introduce it the soft way now: changing embrace to and fro fluently within a dance from close to open and to beginnersĀ“frame. Think it is important for a follower to learn, that the manĀ“s shoulder is a slide. And I think it is also important to show a (female) beginner how to use the left palm when she does not want to dance that closely with someone.

13. bordertangoman

perhaps thats another good reason why women dont lead women in BsAs??

14. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

Have Argentinian women got some unusual feature in the chest department that we poor European ladies do not possess?

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Now thinking of the term I heard somewhere, probably here on D-F: interlocking boobies.

Gotta say, having danced with a woman leader a few times...it's kinda tricky. Boobs have something of a muffling effect on the lead. Mine are big enough...add in another girl's, and it can be kinda difficult to feel what's going on. OTOH, I've danced with women leaders who are small and slim and *ahem* not so gifted *ahem* and it's easier to feel the lead, but they also feel so...breakable. Granted it's the same as dancing with a very small, slim guy...who also just feels breakable.

(What can I say? I'm very self-conscious about my size--both boob-wise and otherwise. But it can, actually, affect how physically pleasant a dance feels.)

16. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I actually find it harder to dance with a well endowed woman for the same reason Peaches outlines.

IMHE, they're like shock absorbers that muffle the lead. In order to compensate for that, one needs to adjust their lead to be more deliberate, very slightly longer in duration, and with a little bit more commitment.

17. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

I've heard they're like magnets, on account of being so close to the south pole. You get two ladies of opposing polarity trying to dance together and things go flying everywhere.

18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

19. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Clearly this is a topic requiring detailed study.

Possibly a government grant will be required.

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Er...wouldn't that be two women of the same polarity? Opposing polarity = attraction, no? Or do I just have a completely different metal image going on of what you meant (it's very amusing regardless).