Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with stars... Pros/Cons...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ChaChaLicious, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

as true as that may be. that a lot of heart goes into dancing, technique and everything else is a vital part of it or else it wouldnt be what it is. it wouldnt be a sport, and it wouldnt need instruction if it were only what is listed above. i think that since its known to have a lot of technique and dedication and work to go into it, then that is what needs to be shown and judged just as much as the love and heart of it...

2. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

First of all, in real competition no judge would care how much you have improved
    Second of all, do I have to be gay to not think Kelly is sooo fun and sexy??? :? :? :?

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

No, you don't. I don't find her all that great to look at either, although she has a terrific figure.

And I agree - who is to win -- the most consistent throughout, or the most improved (which, I personally don't think she has really improved *that* much -- she is still getting tossed around, IMO).

Oh well, it'll all be over tonight. Hopefully they'll dredge up some other celebs, and not the 15-minute variety, either. It is entertaining....

4. alemana

alemana New Member

improvement most certainly *is* noted and appreciated by judges.

5. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

Not if they only see you at most a couple of times a year and have no idea who you are and how you look like in last comp

6. alemana

alemana New Member

my point is that this is not an exluded criteria for judging, as you suggested. for pros, who are seen by the same small core of judges over and over, improvement is expected (not to mention paid for with pre-comp coaching sessions.)

even at the amateur level, i see the same judges at the same regional comps over and over. they know, in general, who the competitors are. it's not tabula rasa every time.

7. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Umm, I'm a female who is not gay and I happen to think Kelly does look sexy and now she looks like she's also having fun (she didn't at first).

John has had to do one latin dance all competition (I don't count paso because it's a very standard-like latin dance and, as he put it, has no hip movement) which he bombed royally. He also didn't impress the judges in the tango. So really, the only dances he did well have been standard dances. That to me does not say he is the best overall dancer. It says that he is the best standard/smooth dancer, maybe... And even in those his timing is questionable - it is a testimony to Charlotte's skill that she is able to cover up his timing issues and keep him somewhat on beat. I think if he had to do jive like Kelly he might be a goner already. So your argument that he is the most consistent is hardly correct.

I think I would be happy regardless of who wins. But to say that somehow John is superior to Kelly because he's been consistent is not entirely true. Each has weaknesses and strengths. John's is his standard/smooth look and is it really that shocking: he has Charlotte, one of the best female standard dancers, as teacher. His latin on the other hand is not good (all I'm going to say because I don't feel that I have to insult John to prop up Kelly like some of you John supporters). Kelly's is her ability to work hard and improve and yes, her latin dancing IS better than John's and improving... Her standard is not as good but she has Alec as teacher whose standard is hardly better than Louis Van Amstel's... One has a much more experienced instructor, no day job and prior dancing experience (even if it is in musicals); the other has no experience, a full-time job and an inexperienced (at least in pro-am dancing) instructor. I think both people are equally deserving to win but I always like a come-from-behind victory so I will be rooting for Kelly.

Oh yeah, for all you John-supporters: you might do well trying not to disparage other opinions. If you want John to win, it doesn't mean you have to insult Kelly. And vice versa. I thought this board was different from others in that all opinions were respected. I was surprised to see people openly insulting a beginner dancer's figure, etc. just to prop up their favorite on a reality TV show.

8. smoozer

smoozer Member

Well said Ithink

9. Laura

Laura New Member

He also danced cha cha the first week and samba the week before last. So that makes two Latin dances (three if you count Paso).

10. Angelo

Angelo Member

Actually, John did do pretty decent cha cha for a real green beginner in week 1. But I'm rooting for Kelly as well

11. mamboqueen

I just re-read this thread and I don't see anyone disparaging another poster's opinions. If you feel you have been disparaged, please contact me via pm. This thread asks for people's thoughts, and it seems to me that is what has been shared here. If someone thinks someone's dancing stinks or otherwise, they're entitled to their opinion. People (celebrities) would be living with their heads in the sand if they didn't think that their performances (acting, dancing, singing, whatever) were going to be criticized....or if they're lucky, praised. You wanna be dancing on tv in a contest, I think you need to make sure your skin is thick enough!

12. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

This seems a bit disparaging to Kelly's body don't you think?

Anyways, I am not going to get into an argument about who has been insulting whom - one quote is enough... Needless to say that as a happily newlywed female, I am not looking at anyone's wiggling body parts, just dancing. I happen to think Kelly's has been getting pretty darn good for someone dancing less than 3 months...

Oh and yes, there was a chacha danced in the beginning. Perhaps I forgot because after that first week noone was eliminated so I thought that first dance didn't really count. But yes, John's cha cha was not as bad as his samba, that's true.

13. mamboqueen

And if you kept reading, you'd see that I posted that I think she has a great body. And even if I thought she had a lousy body, so what? Lighten up! I did not disparage any poster here with my statement. I think the two people I was addressing took it in the humor in which it was intended, but of course, I can't speak for them.

14. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

Not only that. during the samba evening, John did Corta Jaca, Promenade run, Volta, whisk, plait, samba roll.... Kelly didn't even do half as many samba steps, at least 20% of her time she was whisking, and half of the time she was getting thrown around by Alec... Now why would someone call that 'real latin dance'?

15. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

What do you mean chacha didn't count? half of the second week's results were based on the vote from the first week.

and No, John's samba is not bad at all, considering his age, body and the same amount of time to learn as Kelly but need to learn leading in addition to the steps

16. tacad

tacad New Member

I definitely took your post in good humor, mamboqueen. No problem at all. 8)

17. Angelo

Angelo Member

Because latin dance (or any dance for that matter) is more than just the steps

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Exactly!

19. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

One thing that I think would be interesting would be some clips of the pros talking about their dance backgrounds. I see a lot of stuff on the non-dance websites of people talking about how gorgeous Charlotte is, etc., and I think people are interested in the pros, not just the "stars". A short clip of Charlotte talking about having started dancing at age 4 might be an interesting contrast to what the stars are going through. (I did like that John mentioned that Charlotte had won the foxtrot at Blackpool, and it probably sounded better coming from him.)

Actually, interviews like that would be a really nice addition to the ABC website, if they think it's not interesting enough for the show.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

Yes, but it's also about more than writhing in place looking "suxy."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.