Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with stars... Pros/Cons...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ChaChaLicious, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I thought John's latin was great. In latin I want to see a strong (means on balance) manly man, not a wiggling man. I thought he was good. ANd coordination in the couple was the best: he seemed like he always knew where she is and in control.

2. Angelo

Angelo Member

You don't have to like it, but I liked it, and so did the judges and the audience. I think she's doing great and I thought her foxtrot was the best of the bunch, as long as you look from the neck down (she didn't smile much)

3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Alec Mazo should be given a lot of credit for as far along as he's brought Kelly. His bio says recently turned professional. I think he could parlay the exposure from Dancing With The Stars into a successful pro/am career, if he wanted.

4. Laura

Laura New Member

He may have "recently" turned pro, but he's been dancing at a VERY high level and teaching for much longer. He's been a US amateur finalist and also competing overseas for years -- he was already a better dancer as an amateur than most pros in the US.

Anyway, I just watched last week's episode again and I really think that Joey got the short end of the stick. If only Ashly had started cracking the whip on him a week or two earlier. I thought his Paso was the best of all, and their Foxtrot was the most entertaining while also being decently executed.

5. tacad

tacad New Member

I'll have to take another look but I also liked Joey. He seemed to have good technique and also got the mood of the dances as well. I've got to take another look.

6. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I thought that besides his posture problems Joey was the best *dancer* of the group in terms of really dancing and doing it to music not on top of the music... He is more of raw talent than any of them and with training he could really go far because he really feels the music much more than any of the other contestants... It would have been interesting to see the competition with John training with Ashly and Joey training with Charlotte - I think we'd see very different results...

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I liked Joey a lot, and their routines were, I thought, well above the choreography of the others. I like gutsy stuff in routines . . . you go for it, and either you nail it and win, or you don't - and lose!

8. Laura

Laura New Member

I like that even though Joey & Ashly didn't actually get paso doble music, they still managed to dance recognizable paso doble to "Eye of the Tiger." And he had attitude to spare, without getting hammy. Ditto for the foxtrot number -- I nearly fell over when Len and Bruno went on about it not being foxtrot. Well, how about that samba/rumba of Alec & Kelly's not being paso doble?

Anyway, we'll see tonight...just a few hours more...

9. alemana

alemana New Member

i'll be having a lesson during the final. i'm devastated!

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I couldn't have said it any better . . .

I went to a restaurant today for lunch . . . I heard a table full of women discussing DWTS . . . and "how sexy John is" . . . and then, two oriental gentleman walked in, and they were discussing it and the movie "Ballroom."

It seems a lot of people are waiting for the next few hours to go by . . . to get the show on the road.

11. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Me, too! And I have to go take care of the garlic breath I just acquired by eating 3 loaded slices of pizza (gotta carb up!).

I read the Boston Herald on the way home (it's free at the end of the day) and they picked John to win. I think it's a pretty much a crapshoot at this point.

12. africana

africana New Member

nd women do live longer.

hope they show re-runs cos I have missed every show after the first one :(

13. lynn

lynn New Member

is re-scheduling your class not an option?

14. flyingwolf

flyingwolf New Member

True, and latin dance is also more than just getting throwing around and shaking the assets, not to mention doing anything but dancing

15. tacad

tacad New Member

I just watched last weeks rerun. Kelly's foxtrot. I don't do the follower's part
    so maybe I'm missing something, but she didn't look that bad on technique did she? Certainly not worth all the emotion that was poured out. Granted, most of the time she was being held or spun. But the few times she did regular steps she looked respectable to me. Am I missing something?

I thought Joey was the best of them all on foxtrot. The judges lost their minds on this one. He had technique and mood, in my somewhat-limited- expertise-in-comparison-to-others-on-this-board opinion.

16. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

No, Kelly wasn't bad as a student for foxtrot... the problem is that her teacher doesn't seem as familiar with the dance as the other two teachers.

In actuality the technique of Joey's continuity smooth basics did seem on par with that of John's international basics. To whatever extent the judges were judging and not engineering an outcome, I think the difference would have to go to what they claimed - Joey's performance was more "Guys and Dolls" than ballroom and as a result left a lasting impression that may have overshadowed the degree to which it's ballroom elements were on a similar level to John's more ballroom style routine. As with Alec/Kelly, the difference in style is as much a factor of the teacher's backgrounds as of the students individuality, while the common level of achievement reflects the physical challenges of trying to learn one of the most skill-dependent dances in a period of time too short to develop prerequisite foot strength.

17. tacad

tacad New Member

I just watched the paso dobles again. I had 3 weeks of international paso doble. :lol:

As far as I could tell Joey's was the better dance. He seemed more solid than John. His weight and momentum seemd more in control. Also he seemed to have the mood better. Kelly had samba music. I couldn't decide if she had good technique or not. Maybe they were doing samba (which I don't do either).

Anyway, my favorite was definitely Joey.

And the last show coming up here on the west coast now! :banana:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.