Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With the Stars--Get Me Rewrite!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ChaChaMama, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think most people that feel Smooth and Latin are similar are referring to the open handed connections, side by side work, and body shapes... not neccessarily footwork.

2. callen

callen Member

Then wouldn't standard be even more different from Latin than smooth is from Latin, as opposed to smooth and Latin being the most diametrically opposed?

Technique - How about the connection between partners when not in a closed ballroom hold, when connected like so frequently in Latin? I'm pretty sure there's a reason my Latin lead have improved so much while dancing smooth while they hadn't improved while dancing standard. We even sometimes warm up with rumba basics a little bit to make sure we're focusing on connection, not on our routine.

Footwork - It seems to me many of the spins done in one can be found in the other, and with the same footwork. I don't think the footwork of a chane turn changes much between ballet, Latin, and smooth. (The shoes certainly affect things some.)

Leg Action - I believe some of the lines/poses share leg action between the two styles. I believe a ronde is done with the same leg action, or choices there-of.

Now I certainly believe the styles are very different, I just see so many more similarities between Latin and smooth than I do between Latin and standard. Even compared to Latin and standard I can think of more contrasting styles of dancing, such as standard and tap.

Oh, I don't disagree with that. There was one waltz in particular on that show that felt much more like it should be a rumba or some other Latin dance.

Christopher

3. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

All true, though what I had in mind had more with the technique, styling, and philosophy. The music seemed to me to really ask for slow, flowing actions, and Louis was doing quick, almost sudden actions - take for example his exit from the lunge line. There was an emphasis on the top to the extent of arching the back on the man's part - without any use of his shapes and movements to lead anything on the part of the lady, who as a result stayed bolt upright and moved mechanically, as if she were performing a memorized routine rather than dancing with a partner.

Contrast this with Jonathan Roberts, who does have some Smooth background. His movements with Rachel Hunter follow the music beautifully, and he spends as much effort on showing her off as on making his own dancing good. The only critique I have of that routine is that Rachel at one point does ballet style chainee turns rather than ballroom style ones - a pretty minor critique given how new she is to ballroom.

Kelly Monaco has at least been told to keep her eyes on her partner so that she can follow him (the reason for the facial expression others in this thread commented on).

Then again, after reading more of the thread and reviewing the middle judge's comments, it may be that what they're supposed to be dancing isn't American Smooth, but English Olde Time, which may have a different set of priorities.

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yes, but it didn't look like they even tried to use the entire floor!

5. Mary Murphy

Mary Murphy New Member

It has saddened me to hear that so many from our ballroom community are trashing (on/off-line) this new hit show, "Dancing with the Stars." We have waited so long for this moment - to have a ballroom show on primetime TV on a regular basis. I didn't think I would ever see the day that would happen!

I commend the professionals that put their careers on hold and on the line to teach someone to dance in 5 weeks and then go on LIVE TV. It is easy to criticize, but not so easy to be in those same people's shoes.

You have to realize that they do not have much control over what they say and the producers are going to follow the exact same prototype of the show in England, which by the way, is extremely successful. This show is leading the way for other shows and movies about our industry.

Instead of criticizing, tell 50 of your closest friends to watch, so our industry can grow. I hope there will soon come a day where when I tell someone what I do for living, they will know what I'm talking about. For me, there is no better business than the dance business.

We have been starving for publicity and we have not seen the numbers in our dance studios since Saturday Night Fever. I am amazed at the level of celebrities that agreed to do the show. I am so grateful to all of them because without their star status, this show would not be a hit.

My hat's off to ABC for taking a chance on ballroom dancing.

Mary Murphy

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for saying it so well, Mary Murphy. And welcome to the forums. :D

7. Medira

Medira New Member

Welcome to DF, Mary Murphy, and thanks for the great points. :)

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'll tritto tat! :D

9. Medira

Medira New Member

Hehehe! I may have to start calling you Tweety, Sagitta. ;)

[​IMG]

10. Egoist

Egoist Member

I can't recall anyone here "trashing" the show. I do recall, however, many commenting on how entertaining it is.

Don't they get paid well? Aren't they getting good publicity? Aren't they getting an ego trip (guess who I'm thinking of here!)? I don't think any of them are sacrificing.

Why not do both? :)

Seriously, this is a competition and thus lends itself to critiquing, which is what most of us have been doing. We like X and we dislike Y.

These are C celebrities at best. I would not be surprised to see them doing something like the Surreal Life or The Real Gilligan's Island (which one of them already did!).

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

If the show does well, maybe next time they'll get "better" celebrities.

12. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Yes...perhaps people with more dance/dance movie background...for example I'd like to see Jennifer Lopez, Patrick Swayze, John Travolta, Jamie Lee Curtis and Robert DeNiro...wouldn't that be a hoot? ;)

13. Medira

Medira New Member

Damn, now that would be an absolute blast! :D I like your thinking, TT!

14. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I want to see at least a couple more athletes, too, like have Venus and Serena Williams. That would shake up the dance floor, since it's already interesting seeing the sisters play on the court against each other.

Oooooh, and how about Michael Jordan, since he's tried so many other sports ;)

15. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I'd personally like to see Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen (figure skating), Hollie Vise and Vanessa Atler (gymnasts), and Jessica Howard (rhythmic gymnastics).

Seriously, after doing something like Dirty Dancing Havana Nights, Swayze should especially be approachable. ;)

16. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I think John Travolta and Patrick Swayze have too many proficiency points to compete in Dancing with the Stars.

NO SANDBAGGING :!:

17. swan

swan Member

I vote for Tiger Woods to be on the show - and we know if he's on, the Ballroom community WILL grow :) He's handsome & tall, how about having Ieva Pauksena take him on?

And we can sell Tiger that by doing ballroom, it'll improve his 'swing'! :)

OK, I'm daydreaming...Back to real life...

18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the DF Mary, and thanks for adding an important perspective. Given larger sociocultural differences I doubt the show will ever reach the same status in the U.S. that it has in England and Australia but, like you, I am much, much happier with something rather than nothing! I too appreciate that ABC has taken this step.

TT, while I find all the suggested names you mention interesting, I don't think that they'd be ideal in *this* vehicle, especially not the ones who already have some partner-based dance training (e.g. Patrick Swayze).

19. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I was thinking more along the lines of that basis being a plus...especially for the pro's doing the training. I think you would get more interesting yet technical routines. Swayze probably has the most training of any celebrity followed by Lopez and Travolta. If you want someone with lesser training to sort of even the field...Jamie Lee Curtis, Robert DeNiro, Richard Gere, Vanessa Williams, Catherine Zeta Jones, Renee Zellweger, Marisa Tomei, Donnie Walberg, Sean Astin and Reese Witherspoon would be my other picks...

20. Laura

Laura New Member

People like that would be great. If you want to get people like that on the show, get every single person you know in the US to watch this series of it and to contact ABC to let them know they want more. Also go out and buy things based on the advertising you see during the broadcast and -- more importantly -- contact the advertisers and tell them that you are buying their products because you saw them advertised on "Dancing with the Stars" and you appreciate their support of ballroom dancing on TV.

It's all about TV ratings and success in ad sales. The more money the show can bring in, the more money they'll have for the production budget, and the more money they'll be able to pay to attract higher-ranking stars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.