Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With the Stars--Get Me Rewrite!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ChaChaMama, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

The only problem with using John Travolta, JLo, Patrick Swayze, Michelle Kwan and the like is that they are already trained dancers/ice dancers. The premise of the show was to train non-dancers/rhythmic movement types to dance ballroom.

That's why I think Evander Holyfield was so incredible to watch. I don't care that he didn't ace latin motion and that his feet weren't precise, it's all about the journey people!

I agree that the Williams sisters would be cool to watch.

To that list I would add some unlikely types such as Steve Buchemi, Teri Hatcher, Patrick Dempsey (hottie!), Tony Hawk (hottie!), Jude Law (double hottie!) and maybe some more jocks like Jason Veritek or David Ortiz from the Red Sox.

I think I just want to see Jude Law in latin pants. Hey, this is MY dream list. :wink:

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'd have to disagree with that. I think it might be kind of clever to do just that, putting those same people up against one another. And show clips of them in their respective movies right before their pro/am dance. It's the "A" list celebrities that people really want to see, and it's folks that should be able to put on a good performance. Ratings would go through the roof, as people remember their favorite dance movies, or scenes. And, hopefully, a lot more interest in ballroom dancing would be generated.

3. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I understand where you're coming from Purr, but it seems to me that having non-dancing celebrities is the better way to draw new audiences (vs. those who already have favorite dance movies/scenes) to dance. The higher visibility and the wider the range of stars involved the better as far as publicizing and promoting dance to new audiences.

4. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Also, I think people watching non-dancing celeb's has them on the edge of their seats, waiting for them to fall down.

We already accept the Actor/Dancers that are already out there as talented performers, so when there's an athlete or non-dancing singer/actor on the chopping block, there's some excitement.

Also, I think this allows the audience to sympathize with the stars, since they all are beginners (non-dance audience and non-dance celebs)... this could encourage people off the couch and into the dance studio.

5. SDsalsaguy

Exactly Porfirio. From a dancing persepective this may be less ideal, but from a publicity and recruitment perspective this seems like the better way to go.

6. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

LoL, so who does everyone think will be the first to fall? Kinda sad, but that's probably what will get people talking about the show. The producers should pay someone to trip.

7. SDsalsaguy

Why? When you grease the floor so much cheaper! :wink:

8. alemana

alemana New Member

9. Porfirio Landeros

::: SDSalsaGuy eagerly awaits the answer, as to whether or not the Japanese dancing robot can be programmed to dance American Rhythm :::

:wink:

10. SDsalsaguy

11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

It's a sad commentary if people are watching the show to see if someone falls flat on their face (or butt). Or better still, waiting to see another wardrobe malfunction.

12. alemana

alemana New Member

if i can never find an amateur rhythm partner, perhaps i will consider the robot. perhaps they make one that won't talk back.

13. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Well, you could always ask for the AmPartner2K6 with optional voice module removed. You would of course have to add the separate dance modules in, though. Just think of it, a firmware update and VOILA! you have an expert partner....

If only life were that simple, eh?

14. SDsalsaguy

Eh!

15. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

So when is the second episode airing.... ??? no clue!

16. Laura

Laura New Member

Tomorrow night! I belive it's at 9pm eastern time. Check your local ABC listings.

17. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thank you!!! For some reason I thought last episode aired on Monday... :oops:

18. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Maybe we sould put a gag-order on the DF until after it airs Pacific Time?

19. Porfirio Landeros

A gag order on Laura since she'll know before all us saps.

20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

:!:

Okay... How about this. Right before the week 2 show airs I will lock the current running threads. Then we can start a new thread on "Week 2" which all the Left Coasters can avoid until after they have seen the show.

Is that reasonable?

:?:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.