Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars II - Week 2

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by alemana, Jan 12, 2006.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

tonight's dances are quickstep and rumba.

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

So why do the male students get Cha Cha and Quickstep to start with, two rather fast dances... and the female students get waltz and rumba, two slow dances? Seems rather hard for the men to get started.

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Maybe they're thinking they can use the momentum more for the fast dances and the mistakes will be less noticeable?...I dunno...I find rumba harder than cha cha, at least in international style. Heck, imagine how long that *intermission* will be when the men stop dancing and look at the women during rumba vs. cha cha?? *LOL*

4. alemana

alemana New Member

hell yeah rumba is harder.

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The pure ammount of choreography to remember in a QS vs. a waltz is an issue if you ask me, espoecially when you add in leading!

6. alemana

alemana New Member

i think i may be screwed. i couldn't figure out my vcr programming last night, i do not have TIVO, and can't scare up someone to tape it for me. i am panicking.

7. alemana

alemana New Member

by the way on the ABC site, there are new blog entries by Bruno (the judge) and Cheryl (pro dancing with Drew.)

8. mamboqueen

I can tape it for you, but you prolly won't get the tape until Monday....happy to do it, just let me know.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

i may have to take you up on that.. i'll let you know.thanks.

10. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Why CC then Q for men?

You probably know a lot better than I do, but I think CC and Q have more definitive rhythms which can help distinguish men who have no ear for rhythm (Master P) from those who do. I think the focus is more on the footwork (where'e the weight?) and timing.

The slower dances (W and R) I think give women more focus on their frame and their "motion" of the dance. Mentioning of simple rise-and-fall in last week's episode for example; compare Latin motion among the five competing women in this case.

And heck, let's just pair something "exciting" and fast-paced like Q with something "sensual" like R.

I still would rather make this fairer by gender and have one man and one woman voted off every two weeks. But I'm not the producer.

My DVR will be working tonight. :) Granted, I just got to see all of last week's performances this afternoon...

11. gusmahler

gusmahler New Member

Since it was men doing Cha Cha and women doing Waltz last week, wouldn't logic dictate men doing Waltz and women doing Cha Cha?

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Logic = yes, DWTS = no.

Or, more seriously put, for it to be a more even competition, then yes, what you say would make more sense. What ABC is concerned with, however, is not the fairness of the competion but the ratings, and I'm guessing that moving on to new dances is much more important as far as keeping non-dancers interested and engaged.

13. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

and so it begins....

So who all is posting live?

The pole dance workout is interesting.

14. mamboqueen

My 10 year old son just asked if "those were real?" ugh...

15. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

I'm so sorry.

16. mamboqueen

ehhhh...I'd give her a 6

17. mamboqueen

it was a good excuse for me to tell him he needed to be reading a book....

18. RhumbaWaltz

RhumbaWaltz New Member

Did he mean her breasts or her lips?
    -RW

19. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

I guess.

She was athletic, and flexible, but while Louis danced a wonderful Rumba, she just got pulled through. IMO

20. mamboqueen

her upper body was flopping a bit too much for me.

My son meant the bazookas. I don't think he noticed the lips!