Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars II - Week 3

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by alemana, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ccc

ccc Member

What this show really should do is keep everyone for the entire ten weeks and post their standings each week.

2. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised. :roll:

3. DancePoet

Perhaps at least enough of the current audience to keep him around. ;)

However let's hope this doesn't keep going on with him much longer.

4. DancePoet

Well ... I'm torn between two phrases ...

(1.) Never underestimate the stupidity of the T.V. viewing public

and, hopefully, ...

(2.) You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Who knows ... maybe he'll suddenly get serious and all this fretting will be for nothing. Then again, the operative word there is maybe. ;)
    Or else

5. DancePoet

They haven't had much credibility in my eyes since last season. And let's hope there credibility doesn't hurt ballroom dancing's credibility in the process.

6. DancePoet

Interesting assessment! The scary part is that this means P very likely could be around after next week! :shock:

Hmmm ... I'm wondering if there are enough people viewing this forum so that if someone comes up with an ingenious way to impact the vote we can find a way to get enough votes to prevent P from going all the way?

Lovely :roll:

7. DancePoet

If he wins, I'd vote for there not to be. ;)

Well then again, if they change the rules to lessen the likelihood of having another P situation, then maybe I'd vote otherwise.

Gosh ... I just can't help thinking what this could potentially do to poorly impact the public's image of ballroom dancing.

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I disagree DP, the public can vote for P and still recognize that he isn't the best dancer. More to the point, however, the professional demonstrations make it clearly visible what ballroom can look like.

9. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

The above is a great review! But,I am actually getting used to Lisa's lips. And I'm wondering what will Ashley do this week? All the women appeared to be having neck issues in the tango. Even Stacey seemed to lose her neck into her shoulders.

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

At work today, someone (not me :lol: ) took an informal poll and 75% of the people in the office (Other than me,) none of whom dance or know anything ballroom, are watching the show. Not sure what DWTS's impact will be, but there will be an impact. That's for sure. People are watching. :D

11. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

Thanks!

As a non-dancer I am swayed somewhat by the backstories but also want to see what I think of as "good dances. I agree about Lisa. The lip thing turned me off, but I was very impressed by her Jive.

The two best numbers for me were Tia's tango, and Lisa's Jive.

Tia's tango was the most passionate which is what I imagine a tango should be.

Lisa's jive was loose and fun which is what I imagine a jive should be like.

If it were not for Tia, I would have been impressed with Stacy's tango. In comparing them, Stacy's didn't have the passion and I did notice a missed step when they were doing what I can only refer to as "cross overs".

If it were not for Lisa, I would go with Drew on the jive. I saw a few missed steps on Drew's jive, and I could see that his choreography was more difficult. He was having fun, but probably because of the difficulty of the choreography he couldn't just toss himself into the dance the way Lisa seemed to. Lisa and Louis seemed to be dancing just for fun which for me is the heart of the jive.

Next week will narrow my choices. I really don't know which way I will lean. It will depend a lot on which of the dancers seem to be growing, appear to be versatile. Lisa may not be the best dancer, but she showed that she has versatility. I want to see Stacy and Tia do something fast, and I want to see Drew do something slow or dramatic or both.

You dancers split the dances by latin verses smooth (I think) but as a non-dancer I split them between fast and slow.

12. swan

swan Member

It's called the Skater's Walk :) And yes, they did miss it at the beginning & recovered.

13. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

Cool! Thanks for the name. :)

I just had a wicked thought. Next weeks dances are the paso doble and the foxtrot, with the couples each doing both. I started imagining how my favorite couples will do (Stacy, Drew, Tia, Lisa) and then realized something...

Miller and Ashley will be doing the Paso Doble. I am trying really hard to picture it.

I think it is going to be side-splitting funny.

What are we supposed to look for in the Paso Doble?

14. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Well, this is supposed to be entertainment. But there was some really GOOD dancing during last Friday's Paso. I'm used to having to pay a lot more to watch the professionals dance...and eight of them together! Don't think I'll see that again for awhile.

15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Intense facial expressions! ;)

16. ChaChaLicious

ChaChaLicious New Member

WOW... I am truely blown away... This dance competition is turning out to be a complete joke. . . Master P. should've went this week. i understand his whole fan base cheering him on but he has no potential what so ever and should be removed from this show ASAP!!!! i was sooo disgusted watching him dance.. he just doesnt belong.. not all people can dance and thats okay and he is one of them. im really not enjoying DWTS as much as i have first season... its really one big joke now... i want to see some real competition, not a "big bafoon" (moderated to remove inflamatory reference) in a suit prancing around like fairy on the ballroom floor... he has no intellect, no sophistication, no ellegance, no posture nor poise and NO REASON to be dancing... its just wrong.. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! i've never been so mad in my life... MASTER P... HAS GOT TO GOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Laura

Laura New Member

OH my oh MY!

Watch what P does, and then imagine the opposite :)

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Lifted from the net:

"Paso-Doble: The Paso Doble is a theatrical Spanish dance that characterizes the man as the matador and the lady as his cape. Based on Flamenco dancing, the character of the dance is arrogant and passionate."

19. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

ChaChaLicious--

Master P may not have anything smart to say in his interviews on DWTS, but there nonetheless is some significant evidence that he IS smart.

He managed to parlay a small amount of start-up cash into a multi-million dollar fortune, turning a small record store into a music-production empire. He realized there was an on-going demand for gangsta rap and produced CDs that the public wanted to buy in HUGE quantity. His stable of talent did not include many big names, which in some ways makes his achievement all the more impressive. Working with only moderately talented artists, he racked up huge sales. In a capitalist economy, I believe that making a large amount of money using your brain and strategic abilities counts as evidence of being at least moderately smart. (And if you think you can do it better, knock yourself out!) At the very least, he's laughing all the way to the bank.

I would like to recommend that in the interest of the civility of this forum, you try to stay away from the "inflammatory refrences" moderated... You don't have to like Master P's dancing (heck, I'm not crazy about it either), but perhaps simply describing him as "clumsy," "having two left feet," or "lacking in confidence on the dance floor" would suffice.

ChaChaMama

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

in general, a return to a greater degree of civility would be appreciated.. pms to defend oneself or iron out differences, etc would be appropriate/preferable....