Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars II - Week 3

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by alemana, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Eh, what are the chances of that? :rolleyes:

2. Pam

Pam New Member

A similar story, my son and his buddies (all early 20's) were hanging out at our house a couple of weeks ago and I called them down to see Stacy's rumba. It was a hit. Then, you guessed it, last show they all came over and watched the whole thing.

Even if Stacy's rumba was the hook, they're now interested and are even talking about next weeks show like it was an upcoming hockey game.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool. For me, it's kind of a reality check (no pun intended) to hear what non-dance people have to say about the show. Of course DFers find DWTS entertaining. But hearing totally non dance-oriented people have their say validates the show's appeal, at least to me. :cool:

4. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

In that case, for another story, the kids in my daughter's high school graduating class have decided to try to arrange for someone to teach them all one dance for the Prom as a direct result of DWTS. They are contacting local dance studios to see what they can arrange. They ALL want to do it, bar none. They know they won't be good at it. The public stumblings of people like Kenny, Evander and Miller have made it okay to dance even if you aren't good at it. It's okay to just have fun trying.

One of the teachers knows how to waltz so some of them want him to teach them that. This teacher is known for being academically strict and wasn't popular with the students. When he was showing a couple of "eggheads" some steps and they were all laughing other students approached and now a bunch of them are pestering him to teach waltzing instead of math and science. It's become the buzz around the school. Did you know Mr. X DANCES!!!!!

5. pygmalion

That's great! So now, instead of being Mister Nerd, he's Mister Cool. :D

6. arianiah

arianiah New Member

entertainment

I for one am really getting annoyed with Master P. continuing on. I mean I'm sorry i'm not one of the fans that watches american idol for the first month because i don't like hearing the screeching hounds that think they can sing. I don't call that entertaining unless you are drunk at a kareoke bar. Another reason I don't drink. I am a fan of Kelly M. but for real- I thought Rachel should have beat her out. So if this is like a "Most Improved" winning story sure give it up for Master P. and i love how ashly keeps it within his level. But its not enough for me. I just hope it doesn't end up the same way as the last season with sloppy joe taking the fame because of the popularity of the person not their talent. I am so sick of it. I wonder what would happen if we could vote off the girls on the bachelor? hmmm..........

7. pygmalion

Vote off the girls on The Bachelor? (Sorry. I don't watch it, so I don't get the reference. :? )

8. arianiah

arianiah New Member

just imagine if the bachelor ended up with a girl that the audience chose...instead of the one that he would have had

9. pygmalion

Oh. Okay. So you're commenting on the judges' voting process. Got it. :cool:

10. moother

moother New Member

ARIANIAH!!!!
    You are so right! I would love to be able to vote on the bachelor instead of him getting to pick! LOL

11. pygmalion

I never have understood why people watch all these "reality" shows. DWTS I understand, since it involves ballroom dancing. The others (all bazillion of them) I just don't understand. What's the appeal? :?

12. africana

africana New Member

thanks ChaChaMama :)

13. pygmalion

Yeah. She's articulate, isn't she? :)

14. pygmalion

Okay. So, from what I'm reading here, the major problem (in viewers' eyes, at least) is with the scoring set-up. So how could it be better? (I ask in all innocence, since I have no idea how the scoring and judging are supposed to work.)

And, on the Master P topic, didn't anybody here watch the original Real World or any of the shows since ( the idea behind all this reality TV cr*p? ) The basic idea is that the show producers make sure to include a couple really annoying contestants. That keeps the ratings up.

Don't forget. This show is only peripherally about dancing. (My opinion only. :cool: ) It's about getting ratings and revenue for ABC, first. If getting ticked off at bad dancing will make people watch, then bad dancing there'll be. My two cents. :wink: :cool:

15. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

No, you're right in my opinion. If the scoring were changed to give greater weight to the judges they would lose a significant chunk of the viewers because it would be too easy to predict the winner. I would still watch, and many others would too, but the sports bars wouldn't be tuning in.

16. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... this might be a good way to do it. :cool:

17. DancePoet

I hope so! :cheers:

18. DancePoet

The number of people taking lessons at one local studio where I am are definitely up. Social dance attendance in this area has been huge recently, too! :D

19. DancePoet

If P brings out a real cape to ham things up, then we'll likely be stuck with him for another week. :roll:

20. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

I don't "get" all of them either, but of them Survivor was a favorite. It's fun to pick favorites and to study human behavior. The contestants all have different strategies and you never know who will win, which is the most important part. I sometimes like Amazing Race too but less so.

DWTS has mixed up a whole bunch of components to create a winning show. Heros and villians, glamourous costumes, stars known and unknown.

The judges are also playing parts. Len knows darn well what the rules are for American Smooth, it doesn't really matter. The judges aren't all ballroom judges and the judging criteria is non-existant because all they have to do is put the dancers in general order from best to worst which is pretty obvious from the get go.

What makes it interesting is that the viewers get to strategize. Should they vote for one couple, or spread out their votes to keep their favorites safe, or should they focus on the next to last in the hopes of getting rid of someone they don't like?