Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars II - Week 4

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by mamboqueen, Jan 23, 2006.

1. new-ish

new-ish New Member

In my neighborhood it stands for "been there, done that"

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Been there done that.

3. pygmalion

I was wondering that myself.

4. pygmalion

Interesting perspective, saludas. Pretty profound thought for this early Saturday morning. :cool: :)

Gotta say I agree with this. Train wrecks make me cringe, too. That's another reason why, in general, I don't watch these types of shows. For some reason, a lot of people seem to enjoy watching the spectacularly bad. Not I.

That said, I'll say it again. I don't think that DWTS is primarily about dancing. It's about making money, in my jaundiced view. Seeing it from that perspective helps me put DWTS into a slightly different context. I don't expect honesty of pretty much anything. Reality shows aren't real. A pity, but I think it's true.

5. Infosaturated

Infosaturated New Member

That's true, but why did Miller get voted off this week? Why did the audience turn on him?

I think people are very willing to give others the benefit of the doubt, which is a good thing. But, it is contingent on putting in an honest effort. This week, the viewers found out he wasn't practicing.

That made everyone feel "had" by Miller. He was no longer the clutz that was trying and just wasn't a natural dancer. That persona people could identity with. People do not want to identify with someone who isn't putting in an honest effort.

The unforgiveable sin was not and is not being a poor dancer, it's not trying.

Ashley tugged my heartstrings this week. She was trying so hard to say positive things without lying. She didn't make the "call in" signal when their number was announced. He managed to take the "bubbly" out of Ashley. Put that in the frame that he wasn't showing up for practice which made her job impossible. She must have struggled so hard to come up with a choreography that he could learn in five hours.

So, in conclusion, I don't think it was so much the "trainwreck" vote that was keeping him around, but the "underdog" vote. He lost the underdog vote when people found out he wasn't putting in any effort.

6. pygmalion

Actually, my comments just now were about the show in general and not Master P ... I think. :?

Interesting points, though, InfoSaturated. :cool: :) I still have no idea how the voting works (I deliberately never found out -- information overload. :lol:, )so I can't begin to speculate about why who got voted off or stayed on. But your theory sounds viable to me. *shrug*

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i just dont want to waste my good pondering cells pondering it......

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I agreed with this as well saludas

9. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Found it, it WAS Chelo.

www.musichelo.com

:D

10. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

:lol:

11. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Very interesting perspective!

There is a pattern in some humans' behaviour that shows people being all eyes for "train wrecks". And I suspect this has certainly helped the network make some additional advertising dollars through P's situation, just hopefully not at the expense of viewing ballroom dancing in a negative manner. I'm feeling like this show is doing good things for ballroom based on my relatively localized experiences. I believe with P being gone, those who have started watching this show for the first time AND stick around to continue watching more, will be the folks most likely to find there way into a dance studio for lessons. The others who don't will be those folks looking for the shortcuts and quick fixes, and such folks often lose out when it comes to long term joy.

12. DancePoet

Many of the "trainwreck" voters could be "underdog" voters, too. And maybe it was a combination of the two?

I feel sympathetic towards Ashley. She had a tough job, and hopefully she got paid appropriately.

13. DancePoet

With all the popndering cells you use, I'm glad you still have some left. ;) :lol:

14. patois

patois New Member

Hear! Hear!

I've also enjoyed watching George dance so much! What a trooper. He shows such enthusiasm and joy--he's having so much fun, he's just a pleasure to watch. After seeing him in movies/tv all these years, this is a nice touch for his career.

15. pygmalion

Hmm. I hadn't thought about that. They're getting paid? (Over and above the priceless face time on TV?) Really? Not sure why, but I assumed that the pay was minimal. :?

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure what the figure is this season, but they're all paid for the whole season, but at a higher rate as long as the're still one of the "active" couples. They really do need to get paid too, since they can't rally take any other work at the same time and have to live on something.

I know the ammont last season was $2,000/month, but I'd asume that's gone up at least some....

17. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

And I assume all of their expenses (hotel, meals, etc.) are covered? I dunno. It sounds like a losing proposition unless they're really thinking their business will pick up a lot because of this "advertising."

18. pygmalion

Yep. $2000 a month is minimal, in my view, considering ...

19. alemana

alemana New Member

someone who knew about it posted that neither the pros nor the stars were being put up, fed, etc during the show - that the way 'reality' tv is framed by actor union rules means much lower compensation/benefits than, say, a sitcom. that's part of the reason there is so much 'reality' on TV right now - it's cheaper, many times over, to produce than your average sitcom/drama.

20. pygmalion

I hate "reality" TV, to be honest, but I think the economics make it fairly likely that reality TV is here to stay ... at least for a while. :?