Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars II - Week 4

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by mamboqueen, Jan 23, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nope , I've decided to enter a monastery

2. Big10

Big10 Member

I think you and I are talking about two different things. The way I interpreted saludas's comment about "honesty" in dancing was that it referred to the dancer's subjective interpretation of the music. In other words, certain music might make you and me move in different ways (affected by age, flexibility, prior training, etc.), but each way would be a true reflection of what was happening inside of us.

If we're just talking about the practice time, I agree that most people probably would not say that 20 hours was "an honest effort," and that's probably the biggest reason why Master P did not get enough votes to last another week. I thought I read somewhere that the celebrities' contracts required only 5 hours a week, though, and if that's the case then he was actually doing what was asked of him. I also don't know what his work schedule is like. Most of the other "celebrities" are unemployed actors, but Master P is the owner and CEO of his own multi-million-dollar music enterprise. I'm sure there are many people who don't consider his style of music as "serious," but there is serious money involved it and the business side must be handled like any other business. For a similar reason, I'm also impressed with Lisa Renner's commitment a little more than some of the other celebrities because of her current job obligations, too.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So that gender-reassignment surgery went well? ;)

4. fascination

nah...i'm just duct-taping them down...they aren't the most observant bunch

5. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Interesting comparison . . . hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense.

I suppose that reality tv is a step above blood and death, but just barely . . .

;-)

6. alemana

alemana New Member

that particular analogy is as overused as it is accurate - that is to say, in both cases, very.

7. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Overused?

*shrug*

Hadn't heard it.

8. alemana

alemana New Member

yup. it's practically a cliche in writing about the rise of reality tv in the united states. but, as i say, there's definitely something to it, so.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I don't know about the employment status of the celebrities, in general, Big10, but I do agree with what you're saying. Basically, this show is asking folks to commit a giant chuck of their time over the course of what? Two months? to learn to dance. Well, for those of us who love dancing, that's not much to ask. For the CEO of a corporation, it's quite a lot.

So, as much as I'm trying to avoid talking about Master P, I have to say that what I saw in him is pretty much what I've seen in other recreational dancers at Arthur Murray's or wherever. Those who spend more time dancing progress more quickly. Among my friends and fellow students, I wouldn't necessarily assume that those who spend less time are less serious. They just have less time, because of a heavy work schedule or school schedule or kids at home, etc. Maybe (just maybe :? ) the same thing is surfacing on DWTS. *shrug*

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yup. I would've gotten kicked out of Roman citizenship, back in the day. (A tangent, but were women even allowed to be citizens? :? )

I have no stomach for blood and gore, even when it's all dressed up and dancing around on my TV. :lol:

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Roman women were citizens, but weren't allowed to vote or participate in politics. Actively, anyway--I'm sure there was a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff going on...

12. fascination

I'm writing you in for president next time around...not a political statement mind you, just a belief that YOU are what the world needs more of...