Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With The Stars Season 10 - Finale!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ash_sk8s, May 24, 2010.

1. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I believe Wooh reviewed the video. I am only commenting on my impression from watching the show as it aired. In any event, I find the lift comments from CAI very tedious.

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

What's the point of having a no-lifts rule if it's OK to do lifts after the music ends? I assumed the rule was for safety and to even the playing field since not all the size/strength combos lend themselves to lifts (assuming there is any rationale at all, other than something for CAI to fixate on). But if it's OK after the music, what's the point?

3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

In Pro-Am competitions, there is a no lift rule. I guess we can consider DWTS a Pro-Am competition.

4. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Whom do you trust more, CAI or Len?

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

What else could you consider it? It's certainly not pro or am/am.

I think the primary reason behind the rule is the same reason moves like knee spins (see Phillipe Candaloro, who did them before the rule change) and backflips are banned in skating--lifting is not a dance skill (as defined by use of feet on the floor; the aforementioned skating moves were prohibited because they don't involve use of edges, and in the case of the backflip because they're dangerous.) If you allow lifts and other theater arts/gymnastics tricks you also give an advantage, in a viewer-vote situation, to couples who can do a ton of tricks whether or not they can actually dance at all.

The real question is, since the pros KNOW they're only allowed in the freestyle or in AT, why stick one in? Even nitpicking where the music ends (my impression was before, and in any case the ENTRY into the lift clearly began during the music) aside, Derek KNOWS what CAI is going to say. She has made much more dubious 'lift' calls before.

6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I think I'm younger than you and definitely younger than Len, as is CAI. Perhaps y'all don't have the visual acuity you once had? And maybe a hearing aid is in order if you didn't hear the end of the music? :rolleyes:

7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

First, please know I'm only calling contracheck old, because well, he questioned my eyesight. You and I just have a difference of opinion! :)

I also find the lift comments tedious. Especially since she's let many "lifts" slide. I'm just ok in this one because it irritates me when people push the letter of the law and then get mad when they're called on it. And well, Derek irritates me. As does Nicole. And well, CAI. But CAI irritating Derek and Nicole? I can get behind that! :)

8. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Watching repeat. I am ready for finale!

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I tried watching live, but then it was DWTS AT, which means basically: kick, kick, lift, kick,kick, squat, kick,lift,kick,squat, lather,rinse,repeat. Then CAI started drooling over them. Soooooo, going to watch AI, that should take 10 or 15 minutes, then see if I can manage to go back.

10. New in NY

New in NY New Member

It is surprising that all three couples chose to dance AT when none of the pros are AT dancers.
    Nicole irritates me, but she's a good dancer. Derek doesn't irritate me at all. I enjoy his dancing and choreography.
    Enjoying the show tonight for what it is.

11. danceronice

My reaction to the results is in my facebook status. If you don't like profanity, look away. (I'm amazed, actually, the mods at FSU are letting us get away with calling Nicole what we all called her there, but then they tend to save the banhammer for serious matters. And hey, she joined a "band" with a name that this board censors...)

That was a bigger joke than Season One.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Lifts. They can do lifts. They can hide all the dancing they can't do with lifts. After all, spinning around in a lift can take up a good 10-15 seconds. Put a few in, and your song is over. Why master dancing when you can get into a lift and bounce around.

The Kate Gosselin thing? Oh good Deity.

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed the Pam and Neicy thing. Cheesy enough to be cute.
    Loved, "I feel like a weave on a stick."

14. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I'm not your facebook friend though. PM me! :p

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I wonder who had the popular vote. (Did they say? Because I just FF'd since I knew I'd be unhappy.) If they hadn't fixed it for her with the extra points, would she have won?

What I don't get, why do they put Buzz Aldrin and Kate Gosselin in with these guys? If your going to allow ridiculous advantages (and I include my boy Evan in that) then have them up against people with similar advantages. Well, do that after a single season of giving Derek someone with a broken hip. I'd love to see him with any of poor Jonathan's "stars" that he can't force into a fake standard hold without herniating a few of their disks.

16. Unju

Unju New Member

Hey all - Just watched the finale and immediately needed to log in to share my thoughts! I haven't been watching all season, but I've sort of caught myself up (Youtube, mainly on the final 2 couples).... Evan/Anna - My favorite. Yes, he's not the best one, but is it just me or is he the most adorable person you've seen on DWTS? For this reason alone, he's my winner! Nicole/Derek - First, LOVE Nicole's music. Second, she's fabulous. Now, if Nicole had a different pro, I think Evan would've had this in the bag. Derek's an amazing choreographer for DWTS (showy, flashy, cute-sy), which suited her well.

It was a great finale! I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

17. danceronice

There's a big chunk of people on the skating forums who have sworn off the show forever, if that tells you anything. (Except Johnny Weir fans, but they're getting thinner on the ground every time he opens his mouth.) And a lot of the hate is actually on Anna's behalf--the feeling is Anna wuzrobbed in favor of one of the wonder triplets. Again.

I will watch again, but only if Derek gets the sort of loser usually dumped on Tony, Jonathan, etc. He is WAY overdue for a dud.

(And did anyone else really not feel the need to see Kate G. on a lift? Did anyone understand that? And did anyone else think whatever Tony was getting paid, it wasn't enough?)

18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

um...little late here, but let's not start questioning each other's acuities folks.

19. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I didn't understand anything Kate related tonight. And well, I think I'd watch if next season they paired Mark Ballas with Octomom and Derek with Johnny Weir. I'd vice versa, but I'd love for Johnny to get the "Sexy blonde boy that can do no wrong" advantage. And after this season, I've generally felt worst for Jonathan (I mean, he got a star missing a leg!) but Tony wins the sympathy vote now. If he isn't paired with an easygoing drop dead gorgeous 20 year old professional dancer with a heart of gold, well, if I was him, I'd be leaving flaming bags of poo on the producers' doorsteps.

20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Not all young people have good eye sights and not all old people have bad eyes. A case in point is Buzz Aldrin. I don't see him wearing eye glasses.