Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing With The Stars Season 10 - Finale!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by ash_sk8s, May 24, 2010.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

he is the most adorable person evah...:cool:

wouldn't it have been so cool for him to win the gold and then win DWTS straight after? :) still, he came awfully close!

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've been thinking. Evan should just create his own mirror ball trophy, except maybe instead of mirror ball, it could be a platinum ball trophy. :)

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i think evan should take up BR for real...

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

A bit off topic, but...

Yes, AM teaches AT, WCS, Lindy...
    Murray's actually played an instrumental role in the formation of "West Coast Swing" when it was known as Western Swing, but...
    At least with these three dances, there are substantial differences in the approach to the dance. Even Skippy Blair, who has helped define West Coast Swing, teaches a West Coast Swing that is very different than what many people think is West Coast Swing.
    I'm going to use Skippy as a surrogate for AM (she first learned to be an AM teacher). Her West Coast 101 has nothing about improvising, and in fact, I was told that I should never surprise my partner. My regular partners scoff at that philosophy.

"Lindy" as taught by AM and as documented in texts through the 1980s is very unlike what became the norm when the old Savoy dancers began teaching again.

In Argentine Tango today, that is NOT taught in "chain schools", the emphasis is very often on improvisation, rather than learning by rote. While I am still trying to pin down when "improvisation" in AT became such a big thing, the approach to learning is often very different.

It's been a long time since I ran into "studio" trained AT dancers, but they are like fish out of water when they join the non studio AT crowd.
    I experienced something similar when I went from a "studio" environment to a CW enviroment with the West Coast Swing I had learned in truck stops and country western places.

Your expectations and how you dance is shaped by the instruction you receive, and I am pretty sure I know just what Me is writing about..

5. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

OMG, if I were Anna, I would soooo be getting him a platinum ball trophy right now. That is hysterical!

6. Amanda Coyle

Amanda Coyle New Member

very interesting. AT is a beautiful dance and it is nice to learn more about it.

7. Just watched the final two episodes and I am SOOO annoyed with the results. I def think Evan would have beat out Nicole in the votes. I am so sure of it that when I watched Evan's quickstep, I just didn't understand why he got such WEIRD camera angles...they never showcase quicksteps that way. It was during that dance that I realized that Evan and Anna would not win :(

Poor Anna, I thought she trained Evan so well.

8. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Agreed, A2R! I am very disappointed too... and I feel bad for Anna

9. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Who would like to see on future seasons? Pros? Stars?

10. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I posted over on Television Without Pity that I think Dooce would be a hoot.