Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars season 11

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, Aug 3, 2010.

1. lacubs

lacubs Member

Dancing with the Stars will return for an eleventh season on September 20, 2010 The cast is set to be announced during an episode of Bachelor Pad on August 30.

2. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

not sure if i should be excited... i have been disappointed with the cast/results the last few seasons

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

I think I'll be skipping this season as well. I got by last season reading the recaps/comments here on Dance Forums and felt that I wasn't missing anything by not watching.

Unless they cast someone I *really* want to see I'll go by what my fellow DFers have to say. :D

4. lacubs

lacubs Member

to this forum i think DWTS cast will always be a disappoint. this forum wants good dancers and ABC wants big stars no matter what, like a few weeks ago Carrie Ann Inaba said she wanted Lindsay Lohan to do the show. that should tell you this show isn't about the dancing

5. TinyDancer109

we dont necessarily want good dancers... in fact, personally, i would like to see the opposite... a group of people with zero experience in any dance starting from scratch, all on the same playing field... people completely out of their comfort zone. A bunch of characters with personality and maybe alittle bit of the "omg - THEY will be on the show?!" factor.... although not a must.

three of my favorite contestants of all time were Helio and Apolo and Cameron - because they had zero experience of any kind, were fun, worked really hard, and ended up doing amazingly well... THAT is what makes the show worthwhile - sadly, it doesnt happen anymore.

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Agreed. I either want a cast of REAL non-dancers, or an "all-star" season.

7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I like the non-dancers myself. If I want to see dancers learning ballroom, I'll watch SYTYCD. The fun of DWTS is watching the learning to dance.
    That said, if they're going to throw in dancers, don't throw in Buzz Aldrin or Cloris Leachman.

8. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

I think DWTS is great advertisement for balroom dancing. When you mention DWTS to anyone they recognize it as ballroom dancing. So I hope we all support anything with ballroom dancing.

9. Artemia

Artemia New Member

DWTS got me to start ballroom... but ever since then I haven't had the time to watch it myself! I have to agree that it would be interesting to me to see a cast completely of people without prior dancing background, but at the same time I have watched some episodes (thank you, Tivo!) and once you weed out the few "non dancers" from the pack, it is fun to watch the dancing of the more dance-inclined celebs mostly because I am fond of the various pros they dance with.

Do you think it would be as popular of a show if no one really excelled at the end of the season? I think the producers are too afraid of the whole show being a flop if they don't throw in a few front-runners so that they know they have a guarantee of SOME of the dancing being what the viewing public expects.

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I think people would be surprised how far a genuinely interested "non-dancer" could go.

Heck, Evan Lysacek--he is NOT a lyrical, artistic, 'dance-oriented' skater. If anything fans of a former rival "tweak" him (to put it kindly) about lacking any musicality. But he IS a motivated hard worker who, if he puts his mind to it, can work his butt off to learn something (which is how, despite possibly not being the most gifted skater on Earth, he IS the reigning Olympic champion.) I think there are not a few athletes and actors who lack dance experience but who could put on a good show by the end of the season if they tried.

11. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

I think that's why so many of the athletes on the show do well. Although they are not dancers, they are accustomed to physical activity and have a good work ethic and discipline.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

There was a time when we were desperate for dance on tv. And I would watch, no matter how bad it was. Now, there's not that desperation. I'm not going to watch just because there's dancing. I'm going to watch because it's a good show. SYTYCD annoys me at times, (much less since they cut Mary Murphy from the permanent judging panel), but it's still enjoyable to watch. Dance Your Arse Off, well, it's a horrible show. And after one episode, I quit watching.
    DWTS has been tolerable for me as long as I FF through pretty much everything. But it won't take much to throw it into Dance Your Arse Off world.
    As a "representative" of the ballroom community, I've felt like when I go to work, I need to have watched enough to have an opinion. But quite honestly, I'm too tired of it to feel required to watch it anymore.

13. TinyDancer109

Such as the "celebs" i mentioned earlier, and a few more than that! A nice personality and good work ethic will get you a long way.

14. lacubs

lacubs Member

ex football player Kurt Warner will be on season 11, Chad Ochocinco & Erin Andrews reports

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

lacubs, that's great! :bouncy:

16. lacubs

lacubs Member

i am guessing you dont who Kurt Warner is? lol

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Kurt Warner is one of my favorite NFL players of all time, especially for when he played for the St. Louis Rams... :)

18. lacubs

lacubs Member

cool

19. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

who else is a front-runner?

20. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

SHATNER!!

SHATNER!!

SHATNER!!

SHATNER!!