Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars season 11

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, Aug 3, 2010.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I was just kidding. :cool: I know how tiresome those borderline conversations can be. *shrug*

2. pygmalion

Incidentally, I got tired ten pages in and never did get to the controversial conversations. Meh.

But I did find out that Jennifer Grey is Joel Grey's daughter. Pretty cool! The things you learn in DF. :cool:

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

But Bristol talked about the fact that people hate her and her mother. SHE made it political, and her mother is a lightning rod for extreme opinion. I think the situation is political, unlike, say Kelly Osbourne and her lineage. I know I am in a minority of one here. I refrained from commenting during the course of the competition, but I don't see how you can divorce politics from the fact that that is the sole reason Bristol was brought back every week. If this should be a PM, then just don't print it..[/I]

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

In a real competition, I've seen a couple fall on the floor and still win.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have fallen and won...and I mean fallen to the floor on top of my pro who was flat on his back

6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

You don't think it was because she got the fat vote?

I mean seriously, based on the reaction when I brought it up, excess fat seems to be far more inflammatory a topic than politics. I think it's naive to think her political position colored the results to that extent.

The fact is, she was far better known than any of the other contestants. More name recognition means more votes in a popularity contest, irrespective of what name it is.

7. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

People that actually ARE fat wouldn't have been voting for her because she's fat, because she's NOT fat.

8. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

straying in to dangerous waters once again, please steer clear....I think we all need a breather.

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Conan O'Brien: Of course Jennifer Grey was really really happy, until she woke this morning to find a bloody moosehead in her bed.
    :)

10. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

still winning is different than getting perfect scores... ???

11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

FTR, THIS is why i wondered out loud. I was not trying to start a political debate, SD. I didn't mention anything about politics.

12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Certainly ABC must be thrilled. Viewership of the final was up 25% over last season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/25/arts/television/25ratings.html

From a ratings perspective, her staying in the contest until the finale was GREAT news for ABC. That, in turn, is great news for those of us who would like DWTS to remain on the air.

13. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

My point exactly.

14. pygmalion

You make a good point, ccm. Those of us who love dance (especially the perfectionists among us -- I'm not calling you out, but you know who you are. *grin* ) want the show to be about dancing. But the truth is that it's not about dancing, IMO, any more than the Amazing Race is about racing. It's about ratings and advertising revenue.

Somebody said it here earlier (within the last couple of pages) If it were a real dance competition, the show wouldn't last. Many, if not most, people, couldn't care less about dance technique and/or wouldn't recognize good technique if it jumped up and bit them on the nose. But elimination rounds, "personal" drama, cheering for the underdog, etc. ,this they understand. And this is what keeps the show alive and makes ballroom feel more relevent to lots of Americans.

Overall, IMO, however annoying, this is not a bad thing. :cool:

15. pygmalion

Oops. Sorry, jenny. I was posting at the same time you were. :cool:

16. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

love Conan!!!

17. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

18. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

oh jeez... add McCain's daughter and Spitzer into the mix and it will be a veritable cornucopia of hot mess. I doubt they would have all three in one season... that would just be overwhelming. And I would really love to have a break from the inevitable "this is a conspiracy by the tea party" complaints that having another Palin on the show would bring...

*note: I am not trying to have a political bias in my commentary... just expressing my annoyance at what comes with having politically polarizing personalities on the show, regardless of where they lean*

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sticks head in oven

20. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

I'm in right after you.... *sigh*