Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars Season 12

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Another Elizabeth, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

This season's pairings have been announced:

• Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    • Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff
    • Sugar Ray Leonard and Anna Trebunskaya
    • WWE star Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke
    • E! reality star Kendra Wilkinson and Louis van Amstel
    • Wendy Williams and Tony Dovolani
    • Rapper Lil Romeo and Chelsie Hightower
    • Disney actress Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas
    • Footballer Hines Ward and Kym Johnson
    • Radio DJ 'Psycho' Mike Catherwood and Lacey Schwimmer
    • Petra Němcová and Dmitry Chaplin

I have heard of the first three. (Well, I've heard of Lil Romeo, but only because he stood up DwtS and stuck them with his dad, Master P, back in season 2).

2. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Kirstie Alley should be fun to watch.

3. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

I can't say that I have any real interest in any of the new contestants, but I no longer watch this show for the "stars"...I used to, but now all I really care about is the dancing, and there best not be another mediocre dancer like Bristol who makes it to the final 3 for inexplicable reasons. :mad: The show lost a lot of cred last year and I'm sure has driven a lot of viewers away...those that want to see dancing and not drama that is. ;) Anyways, for the time being I'm still watching, and may the best dancer win! :) As for the pros, too bad Derek is gone, but I'm glad to see Lacey and Maks are staying.

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

*snort* Bristol was the only one who actually learned any technique. My respect for Mark shot way up--boy can TEACH, not just get them to mimic fancy tricks they can't dance. And he can do it in the time allowed. (I used to assume that means he takes after his mother, but I gather Corky can teach, just not apparently when the cameras are on.)

And thank god, no Derek, but then there don't APPEAR to be any ringers so there wouldn't have been anyone to give him.

I hope the presence of Lil Romeo does not mean any cameos by Master P...because we don't really ever need to see that ever, ever again.

Also, the list is missing model Petra Nemcova and Dmitri Chaplin. Meaning unless she put in her contract they can't, the producers will milk her genuinely tragic tsunami story for all it is worth.

5. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Huh - I wonder why they weren't on the site where I got the list? Unfortunately, it's too late for me to be able to edit my post - maybe a passing mod will do it.

I was unaware of her tsunami story (or her), but just went and read up on Wikipedia. You're right, we'll be hearing about that every single week that she's in.

6. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

*squeals* MAKS and KIRSTIE! OMG! They should be entertaining!

7. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

If by technique you mean not knowing steps and being dragged around the floor by Mark, ok...

Seriously, it looked like he was dragging a refrigerator around at times, she danced so heavy.

Make no mistake though, I think Mark is an excellent dancer (perhaps even better then Derek)

8. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This thread is DWTS Season 12....

Can we please drop the Bristol discussion? "I love her!" "I hate her!" Give it rest already. Season 12, let's move on shall we?

9. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

note how the word dancing is not in the title as "Dancing BY the Stars" but merely WITH them.

Any reality show is not about the actual accomplishment but the conflict.

10. danceronice

Over on the skating boards people are already going "THIS CAST IS GOING TO SUCK." Is it me, or does that happen EVERY season now, and every season it turns out not to be so bad? And there's always "Who ARE these people?" I've never heard of most people who end up on the show, at least beyond tangentally.
    Not being twelve or having a kid who's twelve, I had no idea who Kyle was but I was absolutely pulling for him to win last time.

(Also have to say, when word got out Derek wouldn't be back there was MUCH rejoicing over there. Everyone's sick of him and his ringers.)

11. jofjonesboro

jofjonesboro New Member

The only season to which I paid any attention at all was the second. Stacey Keibler clearly should have won but finished third behind the impossibly wooden Jerry Rice and that short guy.

I question whether or not DWTS has ever enjoyed any real credibility, I remember reading that the first season had two different finals because the audience supposedly didn't like the original results.

I suppose the show has some sort of curiosity value. Where else can you watch pros dancing Standard with bare midriffs.

At any rate, I'd much rather be at the studio dancing badly than sitting and watching someone else do so.

jj

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I like Petra, so I will be cheering her on. Kendra is considered by some an early favorite. I will be interested to see how Hines Ward does (he played in the Super Bowl earlier this year). And I feel the same way about Sugar Ray Leonard...

13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What I hate about American TV is that network execs never know when to stop. My fear (for want of a better, milder word) is that DWTS is going to drag on and drag on until ballroom dance is seen as irrelevant and passe. Then the show will get canceled, along with the interest of most American viewers. *sigh*

14. RickRS

RickRS Member

Well, I agree that the networks will milk anything that brings in viewers, creating as many spin-off and copy-cats as possible, and they will continue well past the point viewers are tired of it before catching on to the loss of interest. America (the majority of viewers at least) likely watch DWTS as a horserace. If they really wanted to see high level dance PBS's Ballroom Challenge would had sponsors the past two seasons instead of fading away.

Just mildly related to DwtS, and nothing to do with dance: Julianne Hough is co-starring with Tom Cruise in an upcoming movie. Wow, that girl is gone, gone, gone from DwtS.

15. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Julianne Hough is also co-starring in the remake of Footloose...

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people don't know what high level dance should look like. And they probably aren't all that interested to find out. Eh.

It''s a "reality" show, not a dancesport competition. *shrug*

17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i have never been REALLY disappointed with the cast until this season. The only person i am excited to watch is Kristy Alley.

But there are a few ppl with dance backgrounds in there that are sure to have an early start compared to others.

18. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Which stars have dance backgrounds ?

19. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

• Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff
    • Disney actress Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas
    • Radio DJ 'Psycho' Mike Catherwood and Lacey Schwimmer

And most likely Romeo has a dance background from music videos... and i wouldnt be surprised if Petra had one but that would just be speculating.

20. danceronice

All the Mouse ultimately cares about is "Are we making enough money off the advertisers to pay for the show and turn a profit?"

Also, the premise was never really "high level dance", it was "people you may have heard of who don't know anything about dancing learning ballroom dancing and competing against each other." (TLC tried the "total nobodies who have never danced learning ballroom and competing against each other" as "Ballroom Boot Camp" but it apparently died.) Apparently after the last two seasons they've giving up pretending to hire non-dancing celebrities.

I like the surprises. I had no idea who Kyle was before last season and he ended up my overall favorite. So I'm not overworried about this cast yet.

Just please, lord, let Romeo be more interested in the whole business than Master P. That he lasted as long as he did has to be the greatest "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, VOTERS?!?" case ever. It wasn't even so bad it's entertaining. It was just painful.