Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars Season 12

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Another Elizabeth, Mar 2, 2011.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Disney owns ABC, or majority thereof. The thing is, she's not a real moneymaker for us and isn't going to be. Not a singer of any note, too old to get going as a teen-bop type even if she were, not especially cute, not a lead on a major show...basically she's toast once she's too old for whatever she's playing now. It hardly seems worth the investment in monkeying with scores.

(And yes, I've got a financial stake in it as a shareholder. If we were talking someone on the scale of Hillary Duff or Miley Cyrus at their peak, sure, pimp away. But Chelsea's not on that scale. Not worth POing Hines's fanbase or the one Kirstie appears to have.)

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

So I just saw the samba (Mark & Chelsea). And IMO, it wasn't that good. I was waiting for it to start, and it didn't start till the end.

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Why just now? It has been so obvious for so long on this show.
    Others and I have spoken often of how Mark's choreo this season has been so much better than in the past, and that he has either gotten much better or has someone helping him.

4. Angel HI

Another GREAT performance by Macchio.

The chelsea / Mark VW... better than before.

Everyone knows what a Kim fan I am, but Hine's samba was the least best of the night, really. (even though the judges want Hines)

5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I liked Hines Samba better than Kirstie's ChaCha.

Go Hines !

6. Angel HI

Happy for Kim! She won all the time in Australia, and never here.

7. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yeah Buddy !!!

8. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

Kym won Season 9 with Donny Osmond... so this is her second.

I loved seeing Hines win. Not that he was the greatest technical dancer - he was just a joy to watch. I found it fascinating how a football player of his physical stature could progress so well in both technique and performance.

I thought Chelsea's and Mark's third place was appropriate. Although Mark has outstanding ability, his 'edgy' routines have strayed too far outside the character of the dance at the expense of developing technique in his star. I think it's too bad that the contestants sometimes have to suffer from their pro's bad choices.

I was very impressed with Maks this season. He taught Kirstie some good technique and expressed the character of the dance in his routines. I had remarked in the last three weeks how Maks looked like he was having fun and appeared to be much more mellow and relaxed than with some of his previous partners.

This social dancer thinks the voters got it right this season.

Leon
    ------------------------------------------------------
    A ballroom dancer trapped in a hip hop world!

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

+1... :cheers:

10. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I guess I can handle much, but definitely not ripping off someone else's choreography.

Yeah, he had Maxim Kozhevnikov helping him.

I think the 1st, 2nd and 3rd placings are PERFECT.

11. danceronice

I thought Maks looked rather PO'd for a second before they cut to a long shot when they announced the winner. A lot of how he's talking sounds like he's seriously thinking he's not coming back (and I kinda couldn't blame him if he bailed, or Tony, either, and can see why Alec, Edyta, and Jonathan appear to be done with the whole thing, too.)

From the judges' faces, it's pretty clear that was NOT the Top Two they (or the producers) wanted, but when they handed out all 30s I figured the voters had made it overwhelming to the point there was no way they could manipulate the scores to get a Hines/Chelsea final two. You could even hear in the audience reaction in-studio--when they were doing the little "read-through" for each of the top three before calling third place, there was no applause when they announced Chelsea and Mark, and the crowd screamed for Kirstie and Hines. But Hines had the numeric advantage from the scores, and it was basically a fair win for him--not the greatest winner ever, but far from the worst.

12. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I was surprised. I thought it would be between Mark and Maks.

13. danceronice

I wasn't. All the 'unofficial' polling was showing very little support for Mark/Chelsea among the viewers. What I expected was for the judges to use their final score after the voting to skew it so hard in Chelsea and Hines's favor that Kirstie couldn't pull out even second, but the voting must have been so against Chelsea it wasn't mathematically possible, so they threw it and just gave everyone 30.

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I agree wholeheartedly... :cheers: And, in the end, I am glad that Hines and Kirstie seemed to have such a great time in each episode this season...

15. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Then the producers could pick whoever they wanted to win and "blame it" on the viewer polls. And all the judges look like nice guys b/c they didn't ding anybody in the final. ;)

More reasons to just watch the dancing on Hulu and skip the extraneous crap like Bruno emoting and the Gone-Gones, errr, I mean the Go-Gos. :p

16. Griffico

Griffico Member

Also agree! I've particularly enjoyed Kirstie's banter with Maks via Twitter. She's been stumping for his studio too, which I think is beyond the call of duty and just awesome on her part. She says she's going to keep dancing the latin dances, and I hope she sticks to her word!

17. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yes, Griffico--all very cool! :cheers:

18. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Really? That's nice to know. Seems like most of the DWTS contestants are more than happy to stop dancing once the show is over. It's interesting that so many of them apparently don't develop any love for dance, despite getting excellent instruction from top pros. Or maybe the pressure and exhaustion from the show sort of obscures the fun aspect of dance for them?

19. Griffico

Griffico Member

I think that's part of it, for sure. I think the other half is that they don't actually learn the dance... they just know a little choreography from each dance and that's it. As far as "staying with it," they would be back at square one, and my guess is that it's just as daunting a task after the show as it would have been in the beginning.

Also, I think a lot of the stars (re-)become more famous and are suddenly so busy that they don't really have time for it anymore. Additionally, when you're that popular, going social dancing or competing is also probably a ton more of a hassle than it is for you or me...

20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I do find that interesting, that you never hear about the stars continuing on in ballroom dance. I think it is such a "shortcut" way to learn ballroom on DWTS, that they would find themselves bewildered in an actual ballroom group class or even a private lesson where they would have to follow a syllabus and learn how to dance with a variety of partners to random music. I know it is always frustrating for me when friends and coworkers claim to know what a paso or samba is based on some very "innovative" choreography on DWTS. If they actually had to take a lesson they would probably bail.