Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars Season 14

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Wannabee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I haven't watched their comments on the "ArgentIne Tango" by Maria and Derek, but, if they were really fussy, and had learned anything about this dance and music over the years (although I think they are including more ArgentIne Tango now) they would for instance tell the musicians that castinettes are extremely rare in Argentine Tango. Stop using them!

Anyhow, they were dancing to "La Yuma" and it just so happens that Pablo Veron and Sally Potter danced to this in "The Tango Lesson."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1dprxgEz8

Here is the Maria and Derek
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLZKXmhU3Q

Now, it is somewhat unfair to compare a top of the heap dancer like Veron, and someone like Sally Potter, who certainly holds her own (although some have criticized her dancing), to a complete novice, or someone who only dabbles in AT. But there it is.

And note that what we are seeing in both these performances are just that -performances. You would see little to none of this in most milongas in Buenos Aires where the dance is still alive.

I think it was last year that Derek put together a pretty good AT routine, this one, not. He's using too much ballroom. One characteristic of AT is that there is very little movment, such as shaking your parnter. We could get into the actual problems with Maria's techinique, but...

Just heard their comments, and notice that there is absolutely nothing about technique. How can they judge this dance year after year without learning anything about it?

2. Griffico

Griffico Member

Replace 'castinettes' with any other instrument particular to a dance and you could probably say these things about most of the dances on DWTS, really. Whether or not they care about authenticity of any of the dances seems to be a crapshoot every night.

3. no_name901

no_name901 Member

The DWTS Live Las Vegas show is supposed to be done by mid-July if I'm not mistaken.

4. Yes, the results tonight are what I did not dare to hope for: Maria got the lowest number of votes and left! Most important for me was that Katherine was safe!

ROFL! Wolfgang, you are hilarious like always! I always enjoy your posts and always agree with you!

5. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

woot woot!! I didn't get to watch last night but so glad Maria went home. She has been consistently over-scored IMO so I'm glad that the judges didn't get the final say so.

Now, about those other three...

6. Griffico

Griffico Member

I'd say it's pretty even at this point. They've all got their flaws, and they've all got their strengths. Should be a good final!

7. Wannabee

My hopes for the final three:

third: William and Cheryl
    runner-up: Donald and Peta
    Winner: Katherine (despite Mark's strange antics and if she isn't hindered by injury, etc.)

I'm looking forward to the free-styles though. I think all three will be fun to watch.

8. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

I'll give 'em this: That may have been one of the best results shows evah. They tend to be kind of lame.
    In a completely unexpected twist, William actually did better in the encore Samba than in the original. This never happens.
    What's with the background? Elephants?
    They do know that Brazil's not in Africa, right?
    Right.....??
    Here's what happened to Katherine: Mark's too short, his Hobbit leg gets caught on her thigh, making her Bert.
    One of the reasons why women love, love, LOVE guys who are at least 6'2.
    Why do lead singers who do not actually play the instrument hold a guitar on stage? They do the same thing at bars and clubs. Decoration? A really large, clumsy necklace?
    Vince Neill didn't need one.
    How about having him on the show as a contestant, that would be a hoot! He'd hit on every hot female within 10 miles, starting with Brooke. If he doesn't already 'know' her from her Rockstar or modeling days. Followed by the pros, 2 or 3 celebs, some stage hands, groupies, couple hundred audience members........
    Julianne's a Rock chick now, eh? Guess she's been replaced a few dozen times over as the Cute Country Blondie of the Week, so she's old news and no longer thanks his tractor's sexuh. Boyfriend is treating her well, she says? If true, that means she'll be dumping him any day now.
    Look for the upcoming line of Maria Menounos exercise videos, band-aids - officially licensed by Disney/ABC and bearing the DwtS logo - and yogurt flavors.
    Did you know that she is Greek?

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I wondered about this when I saw it - I thought it was part of a leftover set for The Lion King. My thinking was the background was a nod to the african rhythms in the original song (i.e. call and response). FYI, the song is on the Dance With Me soundtrack, and it really is a samba.

10. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Heehee, I thought this too!

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I was going to say, it's an African-inspired song (as is much South American music anyway, if not that obviously) and it's a samba. They use it IN "Dance With Me" for a pro Latin competition (that's the movie that, other than the fictional pair competing, used real dancers--Tony and Melanie are the "runners up", under their real names.)

12. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Then there's Rick Valenzuela and Melissa Dexter, although they didn't dance together in the movie. That song isn't exactly my favorite samba...

13. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Nice final!
    Mark and Katherine got Espana Cani, and wow, what a difference, so powerful.
    The music really lends the power to the paso.
    Nice.

14. kckc

kckc Active Member

I liked Katherine and Marks' PD because it was classic PD music, not rock trying to masquerade as PD music. It was perfect for her and didn't work against her naturally elegant vibe.

Still don't get the William Levy love. Boring!

Donald and Peta ("almost a whole dress")- loved the freestyle, though I think his mistakes were more obvious than Katherines'. If Katherine doesn't win, I hope he does.

15. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Rewatched the freestyles this morning on MSNBC

1) William and Cheryl...in the end, I agree with Len there wasn't much to their freestyle...it was a little salsa with a lot of hip shaking, gyrations, and lifts thrown in...William just didn't do a whole lot throughout the dance...I think Cheryl has lost something since when she was first on in season two with Drew Lachey...I loved her sparkling choreography back then (paso doble to Thriller and freestyle to Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy)...and Drew was a more active participant in the dances

2) Donald and Peeta...I liked his freestyle better the second time I saw it...true, I'll give you it was a lot like a country line dance with lifts thrown in...but at least Donald had to do something other than stand around doing lifts...and it looked like he was reasonably in sync with Peeta...liked the lifts...I think he's come a long way this season and he wins the most improved as far as I'm concerned...Peeta's done a really good job

3) Katherine and Mark...I'm sure I'm not going to be popular for saything this...while I liked their freestyle, I didn't love it...Mark seemed to take an everything and the kitchen sink approach with the choreography...I would have like it better had he stuck with a simpler approach...liked Katherine opening the dance with her singing...liked her costume...liked the quickstep and charleston...didn't like the frantic pace of the dance and whatever else was going on....I thought the lifts were a little sloppy...

16. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get the Levy love either. His cha cha seemed fine to me, but I had to agree with Len about the freestyle.

Katherine's paso was great. Kudos to Mark for keeping it traditional. In her freestyle, although I thought it was really good, I noticed she sometimes gets this strange, spread-legged stance while dancing. I can't quite place what it is, but it just seems s little off. That said, I would still like to see her win.

I really enjoyed Donald's freestyle (and I'm really liking Peta's costume choices:raisebro:), but like a lot of the freestyles, I would like to have seen a lot more actual partner dancing in the routine. That's just me though, and I thought it was a really exciting performance.

My lineup: William in 3rd, Donald as runner-up, and Katherine for the win.

17. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Was wondering if Peeta was going to eventually follow Edita's school of costuming...

18. Griffico

Griffico Member

My final results:

1) Katherine and Mark - I loved their paso doble, and while I think Donald had the most entertaining freestyle, I think Katherine's was better as a partner dance.

2) Donald and Peta - As has been well-stated, loved the freestyle. Thought the argentine was pretty cool too, though nothing to write home about.

3) Willam and Cheryl - I thought the cha cha was OK, but more or less was flabbergasted that Len read my mind on the freestyle. I figured we were in for a pretty easy night scorewise until that happened.

19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

1) my husband, who in 13 seasons of DWTS and never voted, grabbed every phone
    and sent in votes for K and M. (Although he wanted more punch in the Paso).
    2) I loved Peta and Donald for going to "his home of Texas and bringing it to the
    "floor" exactly what no one expected. and really liked the AT.
    3) Cheryl and William - why is there always something in the last few finals that C
    has been a part of where the judges feel "more" could have come from the lead
    in some way.
    So, I voted one way (probably cause I really am a CW girl 2-stepper almost all my life and truly enjoyed it) and DH voted another.
    I agree with above Griffico for the placements.

20. Wannabee

I'm still agreeing with my earlier assessment :D