Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Dancing with the Stars Season 14

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Wannabee, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Agree with this...it needed something...I thought it was too careful...

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

10! 10! 10!
    Woo-Hoo!
    Raunchy!
    Anyway.....
    Not sure what that was William did - Rumba? Salsa? Cha-Cha? - doesn't matter, it was ok but not finals-worthy.
    Mark sure likes to dress funny (UFC), even in the studio, but willyalookiddat - An actual (ballroom) Paso with Spanish-esque music!!!
    Will wonders never cease.....
    Ok, we get it. Donald's strong and can lift even a fairly tall drink of water such as Peta with ease. Nice Tango, but finals?
    I can do better - provided she's 120 max.
    Thought 'Freestyle' meant Hip-Hop.
    Guess not.
    Len sez all William does is 'shake his butt and get the women screaming', eh?
    Well, duh.
    That's all it takes.
    The QuickJiveHop - starting with Katherine doing what she does best - was Mark's BEST IDEA EVER!!!!!
    If she doesn't win, this season's a farce.
    Donald's HipHop Polka wasn't bad, either. He can lift Peta like he's the daddy and she's 5. Womenz like.
    Someone get Carrie-Ann some oxygen.

3. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

I'm with you - I kept noticing the transitions. It just didn't seem smooth to me. And her shoes were super distracting - I kept looking at them so much, I almost didn't notice Mark's spats.

4. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

It wasn't just *a* ballroom paso, it was the Ur-ballroom paso. I mean, heck. I compete in bronze, and my routine is set up specifically to hit the accents in Espana Cani. It's that disproportionately likey to come up in a competition.

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that everyone didn't get as excited as I did. Cowboy Troy, live, doing "I Play Chicken with the Train!" When Big and Rich and the rest of the Memphis Mafia, including Cowboy Troy, came out back when, they were a high energy, hip hop influenced (Cowboy Troy) breath of fresh air that had lots of people asking, "Is it country?"

"I Play Chicken with the Train" is a great song for a line dance called "Hip Hop," but it seems like it's too fast for most people. And it seems to work pretty well as an finals "freestyle" song.

According to Zap2it, the music — Cowboy Troy’s "I Play Chicken with the Train"— was picked by their former Trio partner, Karina Smirnoff.

Still, Donald said, “You know, I’m from Texas. I don’t just ballroom dance. I don’t just Latin dance. But I can also country dance. ... We’re gonna bring out all the tricks.’’
    I believe there was also the question about how much influence Donald had on the routine, and he and Peta looked at each other and he said, "a lot."

One thing that impressed me was the musicality of the routine. They killed the timing on all the lifts, transitions, drops, etc.

It anyone has looked at the the "Footloose" remake thread, there was that comment about Julianne Hough not looking like a ballroom dancer in the film, and I'd have to say Peta looked a little to polished/energetic at times in the "line dance" movements. (OK, that's my Len remark for this post. Well, and then there was the "stumble" that was quickly recovered from)

This routine has been compaired to Cheryl Burke & Drew Lachey's "Fan-Favorite Freestyle" on DWTS Season 2 to Big and Rich's "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy," (which I made up my own line dance to), but I'd have to save the older routine ain't even close.

Get you some of THAT!

6. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Agree on all points.

7. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Was that Iveta Lukosiute in the audience (standing behind Carson Kressley in the post-opening dance applause shots)?

8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yes, she posted a picture of the two of them on FB.

9. Griffico

Griffico Member

Totally cool with the results :) Thought either Katherine was tired or Mark just plain outdanced her, and that flipped my opinion of who the winner should be. Congratulations, Donald and Peta!

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Plus one

:kitty:

11. davedove

davedove Active Member

I don't want to hate on Mark, but it's nice to see different pros win. Good job Peta!!

12. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I thought for sure Katherine would win. But I'm pleased with the results. Big congrats to Donald and Peta!

As hot as William is, I'm glad he finished 3rd. I thought he was the third best dancer of the three, and it would seem I wasn't alone in that assessment. I'm sad it's over but I'm looking forward to next season's all-star show. If they bring Cloris back I may have to cry...

13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Donald made me smile so much watching his freestyle and with how enthustiastic he was, I was glad he won. I would have been fine with Katherine, too. It was another most-improved vs. best dancer and this time around most improved won.

And he was just so pleased about it...who'da'thunk that a Packer would be such a complete DWTS fanboy? ;)

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Donald's little victory rolling around on the floor made me giggle.

15. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Well-Known Member

I was flipping out that Cowboy Troy was there, doing that awesome song. You are not alone! Loved that routine, loved that Donald won!

16. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Agree, Katherine looked exhausted in her last jive, justg couldn't pull it off. What got me about Donald, way back when, was his waltz. That a guy like that could show such tenderness and softness blew me away. Plus the fanbase of a Green Bay Packer and the fanbase of a little known singer from Wales? I don't see how she could win the audience vote.

17. Griffico

Griffico Member

I think you underestimate the amount of people who vote solely based on the dancing. Popularity will get you through the first half of the show, but it really means little towards the end if you're dancing well consistently.*

*err, by that I mean dancing well AND getting good judges' comments. The power of groupthink after the judges have spoken is great, it would seem.

18. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

I would love to see Kelly Clarkson on the show (as a dancer)

19. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I am disappointed. Katherine has been the best dancer from day one, and I wanted her to win! Donald was just not as graceful, but I guess that's asking a lot.

20. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

And did you see the sweet face on his baby daughter? Poor little thing didn't seem to like the noise, but I bet she's happy for daddy just the same...